Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 422372 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #4980 on: January 24, 2012, 09:39:35 am »

That is tricky.  I don't believe it is currently possible to make a civ only able to make things out of a certain materiel and still be able to trade for it.

You may be able to throw another step into the mix though.   Change the name of the traded item to something like "insulated fuel rod" that could make it look like the materiel is just transport insulation, make a reaction that removes that insulation, basically just taking one of those and turning it into a near identical tool without the insulation part, and force the materiel of the result to Isotropic.

Should allow you to still receive fuel rods from the home civ, you just need to add another step to the process and make a transport version and a useable version of the tool.   As a bonus that should allow you to require additional tools to remove the fuel rod  "insulation" or even have weight differences between the versions.  Making the transport version very large should also make them very heavy, and should limit how many the merchants choose to bring.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: January 24, 2012, 02:32:13 pm »

Question: What are prepared meals made of? I mean, everything has to be made of something...
Or do they take on properties of what they're made of? In such a case, it'd be interesting to know how exactly do they do that.

Either way, I want to make a colossus out of biscuits, and for that, I want to know what exactly are those made of.
A prepared meal is simply a item, and it takes on the material of what it is made of first then encrusted with the other food types. In a way you could make a Cat Biscuit Colossus but there would really be no way of making it drop a prepared meal on death

Ah. Encrusted with other food types, otherwise behaves as the first thing.

Well... does anyone have an idea on how to make a material with properties of dough?

CAKE COLOSSUS
With leaking layers of cooking sherry and frosting on top and so on
Cherry teeth
I'd say, Look up the materiela properties of dough, and convert them to DF format.. If you are less ambitious, I believe the My Little Fortress mod has a dough material template defined.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: January 24, 2012, 03:10:05 pm »

You can make them fly with the [FLIER] tag, but it won't have much effect, since they won't path to their destination while flying (they only path when on the ground.)

I think the same is true for swimming, although you might want to try it.

[NATURAL_SKILL:SWIMMING:16] is enough to set them to legendary swimmers, but I don't know if you can add that tag post-worldgen. I don't think [SWIMS_INNATE] works for fort-controlled creatures, so yeah.

[SWIMS_INNATE] did the trick, thanks a ton!

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: January 24, 2012, 04:00:20 pm »

I don't believe it is currently possible to make a civ only able to make things out of a certain materiel and still be able to trade for it.... Change the name of the traded item to something like "insulated fuel rod" .... Should allow you to still receive fuel rods from the home civ, you just need to add another step to the process

You lost me. If I can make a tradeable transport version, why can I not create a tradeable actual version?

If not i'll have to make them only buildable from metals, making them so expensive that you can only have copper fuel rods at embark. Steel ones will still be available but will be SUPER expensive.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4984 on: January 24, 2012, 04:03:02 pm »

if the stuff being too expensive for the bars needed to make it, then people would just bring bars and smelt one on site anyway.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4985 on: January 24, 2012, 04:06:32 pm »

Is it possible to grow plants that can be smelted into metals?

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4986 on: January 24, 2012, 04:27:29 pm »

Yes.

[REACTION:A:1:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP:PLANT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:x]
[SKILL:SMELT]

Basically something like this. x can be replaced with any metal or, a custom made metal. Of course you can replace what kind of plants you choose.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4987 on: January 24, 2012, 04:41:01 pm »

I think you wanted to write REAGENT and not REACTION, but otherwise correct :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4988 on: January 24, 2012, 04:44:46 pm »

I think you wanted to write REAGENT and not REACTION, but otherwise correct :)

Oppsie-daisy. You're right.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4989 on: January 24, 2012, 04:55:48 pm »

Depends on how indepth you want to get with it. You can use Prologue's way

Yes.

[REACTION:A:1:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP:PLANT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:x]

Basically something like this. x can be replaced with any metal or, a custom made metal. Of course you can replace what kind of plants you choose.

Or you can make a [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:METAL_PLANT_MAT:INORGANIC:"metal"] right under [BASIC_MAT:....] in the plant. and have your reaction look like this

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:"make metal from plant"]
[NAME:melt metal plant]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[BUILDING:MAGMA_SMELTER???:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:PLANT:NONE:NONE:NONE][HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:METAL_PLANT_MAT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:METAL_PLANT_MAT][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
PRODUCT:65:1:SEEDS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:SEED_MAT - you need to define a "MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SEED_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED" in the plant for this to work
             [FUEL] - can leave this out if you so wish. could also just make it give thread with a dimension of "15000" thus make metal cloth items

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4990 on: January 24, 2012, 05:46:01 pm »

if the stuff being too expensive for the bars needed to make it, then people would just bring bars and smelt one on site anyway.

Plan is to have an item that is only available at embark/through trading. You wont have a reaction or workshop to produce it on site

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4991 on: January 24, 2012, 06:28:01 pm »

Plan is to have an item that is only available at embark/through trading. You wont have a reaction or workshop to produce it on site
You can do it like gypsum plasters Define a new inorganic material say, starsand and the only way to get them is in powder form from a reaction without any building assigned. Your civ will still have access to the sand and you can buy them in bags like plaster but you cant get them on-site.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4992 on: January 24, 2012, 06:37:03 pm »

Create a reaction, but have the reagents required be something that is impossible to ever produce in the game.  The player will see the reaction in the appropriate workshop, but will never be able to make it work.  However, traders will still show up with the material, because the game doesn't bother checking if the civilization has access to the raw materials.  Having the reaction alone is enough for traders to show up with a material.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: January 25, 2012, 12:39:59 am »

I'm pretty sure that yovu don't even need a reagent or building, just the product.

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: January 25, 2012, 04:30:06 am »

Long-timer lurker, first-time modder

I liked some of the stuff in Masterwork but the framerate was coming in around 40 even with all the 'slow' stuff shut off, so I rooted around in the raws and pulled out a couple things I liked like the training workshops, library, and especially the sacrificial altars.  But rather than sacrificing items, I wanted the corpses of those foolish enough to attack my fortresses to become sacrifices to Armok.  So over the course of a couple of hours I concluded that "corpse" is apparently not an item in the raws even though we've all seen plenty of them in-game.  So instead my version of the Shrine of Armok takes
[REAGENT:A:1:CORPSE:NONE:NONE:NONE][UNROTTEN][USE_BODY_COMPONENT][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
and potentially turns it into a selection from the item_weapon_mood file from Masterwork
Spoiler: Products (click to show/hide)
(I'm not sold on Steel but it's easy enough to change if I feel like it)

Unfortunately this seems to result in butcher detritus like hair and hooves being offered up, but the rate is low enough that I'm getting about one weapon per animal.  So I'll just think of it as the animal being sacrificed.  Luckily this configuration doesn't result in prepared food (or, in an earlier version, logs and barrels- pretty sure using :ORGANIC: was the problem) being sacrificed.

I tried it out by killing some random wild critters and it took their corpses wholesale, so I'm pretty sure it should work as intended, but I haven't put it through the real grinder by playing a game for a while to wait for a siege.  It would be really helpful if it's possible to use :INTELLIGENT: or [INTELLIGENT] or something like that in the reagent, just so that only invaders are sacrificed.  Or if captured creatures can be used in reactions; I understand vermin can but somehow I don't think Armor would be too impressed by a steady supply of cave spiders and rats.

Anyway, here's the rest of the files, and +1 to Zared for the Custom Workshop Workshop.

Spoiler: Reaction (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Building (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: entity_default (click to show/hide)
(and you'll need item_weapon_mood from Masterwork)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 04:31:54 am by RanDomino »
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 357