Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.02 Released  (Read 99657 times)

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.02 Released
« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2010, 09:49:20 am »

Probably an engineer. 
wouldn't he use the letter spoken like /ˈnuː/ for frequency then?

I suspect he's Greek :P
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

DFa4_anon

• Escaped Lunatic
  • legendary robber of caravans
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2010, 09:50:01 am »

Toady dear, all I wait as pixelart artist from new version - is allow graphical tiles to be used for all game objects..(Core50 as I know?).. Why? We need this opportunity to begin our (pixelartists) development and work as earlier as possible to start draw a brand new wonderful world of Dwarf Fortress! We develop as many graphics as you let, and as beautiful as you like.
If you complete full tile-support sooner, then we get the time for deep elaboration of all game object-graphics and tiles.
There can't be beautiful tiles at once and immediately.., so you must give us a time (and enable tiles support sooner if possible) to draw truly wonderful things in process of time.

I promise, we have an inspiration and will do for your game as much, so you'll be impressed and amazed. You'll see.. Just give us possibility of full tileset support, before next long-time period (:o oh no..) between versions will begun..

Toady, please answer. I know - you are so tired and do a lot of work already but give us a chance to be heared. Sorry for my bad english - I believe that you are understand my hopefulness..

Mathmagician

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2010, 09:54:57 am »

i've only had one crash, but i'm thinking it was something to do more with my pc than the game
got a new, shiny pc with dual core and all this other stuff, and was wondering how fast DF could create a world and handle an extra large area
created the world, (which didn't take too long at all!  ;D) then set the area to max, just to see what would happen,  and...  oops. Crasssshhh.    :-\     Thinkin it was probably some screwy hiccup with Windows 7,  or the 64 bit processor thing.

It's nothing specific to your system.  Right now, DF can only use up to 2 Gigs of ram before crashing.
See this bug tracker submission for more details. 

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2010, 09:56:29 am »

DFa4_anon:

To be honest, it sounds like you're telling him that your own priorities are of importance here above all others.

He knows people want support for arbitrary tile definitions and that sort of thing, and it's near the top of the eternal suggestions voting, last time I checked.

Regarding long waits between versions: This was an exceptional case, and Toady doesn't want another release cycle of that length to happen again anytime soon. It was more than any of us expected.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mattasmack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2010, 12:01:22 pm »

Probably an engineer. 
wouldn't he use the letter spoken like /ˈnuː/ for frequency then?

I suspect he's Greek :P

Depends on what kind of engineer he is, and where.  I see the letter nu and think 'kinematic viscosity'.  That's common American and UK usage in fluids and heat transfer, but in the Russian literature I often see nu used for volume.  In solid mechanics, nu represents Poisson's ratio.  I'm sure other disciplines have yet other standard uses as well.

And, to say something at least within sight of on-topic, the new bug-tracking tool just makes me more impatient!  Now, rather than waiting for the next release whenever, I find myself at least once a day checking the bug tracker to see if Toady has marked any issues resolved.  C'mon, c'mon, more greeeeeennn!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 12:10:09 pm by Mattasmack »

dirkzen

• Bay Watcher
  • Flood the depot. Get free stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2010, 12:31:21 pm »

Thats very nice!

but.. it already sorta looks like that in my head  :D
some people just see tiny brown dots and squiggly lines, asterisks and commas, letters everywhere..  but to me, those white and blue squiggly lines are a raging river, crashing over the rocks as my fisherdwarfs stand upon the riverbank in the cloudy afternoon sky. 
My hoard of jewels and other precious stones shines more beautifully than any rainbow, which I also imagine must have appeared as my massive waterfall of lava crashed into the waves like a bubbling molasses.
My vast hallways are a rich, musty smelling tapestry of sloshed, splattered blood and vomit.
This is my world, all in my mind.

You can have your pretty tilesets of eyecandy and fluff, my good sir, and I commend you for trying to make it easier for the newer folks to step into this world. 
But..this old dwarf would rather stick with what he knows.

Forgotten beasts flying up the wells and eating them might cause some negative effects.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2010, 12:45:24 pm »

Toady dear, all I wait as pixelart artist from new version - is allow graphical tiles to be used for all game objects..(Core50 as I know?).. Why? We need this opportunity to begin our (pixelartists) development and work as earlier as possible to start draw a brand new wonderful world of Dwarf Fortress! We develop as many graphics as you let, and as beautiful as you like.
If you complete full tile-support sooner, then we get the time for deep elaboration of all game object-graphics and tiles.
There can't be beautiful tiles at once and immediately.., so you must give us a time (and enable tiles support sooner if possible) to draw truly wonderful things in process of time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I promise, we have an inspiration and will do for your game as much, so you'll be impressed and amazed. You'll see.. Just give us possibility of full tileset support, before next long-time period (:o oh no..) between versions will begun..

Toady, please answer. I know - you are so tired and do a lot of work already but give us a chance to be heared. Sorry for my bad english - I believe that you are understand my hopefulness..

"Full graphics support" is #6 on Eternal Suggestion Voting, and Toady is planning to work on the top 10 ESV items after the bug fixes.  That means there's a good chance it'll get worked on soon.

Also, Toady is hoping to avoid long release cycles in the future.

Also, did you scan that image out of a magazine or something?  The assets look all smeared and the colors are awful.

Also, if "DFa4_anon" means "DF shared account for anonymous users," yeah... don't do that.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2010, 01:21:56 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Full graphics support" is #6 on Eternal Suggestion Voting, and Toady is planning to work on the top 10 ESV items after the bug fixes. 

That... is... AWESOME!
Just checked the top ten, most of them are something the DF really needs.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2010, 01:33:13 pm »

Thats very nice!

but.. it already sorta looks like that in my head  :D
some people just see tiny brown dots and squiggly lines, asterisks and commas, letters everywhere..  but to me, those white and blue squiggly lines are a raging river, crashing over the rocks as my fisherdwarfs stand upon the riverbank in the cloudy afternoon sky. 
My hoard of jewels and other precious stones shines more beautifully than any rainbow, which I also imagine must have appeared as my massive waterfall of lava crashed into the waves like a bubbling molasses.
My vast hallways are a rich, musty smelling tapestry of sloshed, splattered blood and vomit.
This is my world, all in my mind.

You can have your pretty tilesets of eyecandy and fluff, my good sir, and I commend you for trying to make it easier for the newer folks to step into this world. 
But..this old dwarf would rather stick with what he knows.

Hear hear; well said! It is for this same reason that I usually prefer books to movies. Certainly full graphic tilesets should eventually be an option (it would probably make it easier to lure in new players, for one thing), but I, NetHack veteran that I am, will cleave to the text.

Drifton

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity is still an optional part of society
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 10, 2010, 02:43:31 pm »

A Woot for Toady, Gratz man on another great release while you have inspired me to work on my own programming projects again, i wish i could find the time now that i've found dwarffortress

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2010, 03:06:08 pm »

There's at least one HFS spot in every 3x3 area or something. 

So if you embark on a 6x6 area, there might be four HFS's?

I think...  as few as 4 and as many as 17?
I'm counting 8 max, assuming the guaranteed-HFS-containing 3x3 areas don't overlap.

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2010, 03:21:52 pm »

Well if there's 1 in every 3x3, then the max should be 9:
Code: [Select]
9|7 8 9|7 8
-----------
3|1 2 3|1 2
6|4 5 6|4 5
9|7 8 9|7 8
-----------
3|1 2 3|1 2
6|4 5 6|4 5
And as you can see you might already get 9 when using 5x5.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 03:35:21 pm by Zalminen »
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2010, 06:12:22 pm »

Uh, right, 9.  That's what I meant, I was just counting from zero.

Someday an OBOB will be the death of me.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2010, 06:22:15 pm »

There's at least one HFS spot in every 3x3 area or something. 

So if you embark on a 6x6 area, there might be four HFS's?

I think...  as few as 4 and as many as 17?
I'm counting 8 max, assuming the guaranteed-HFS-containing 3x3 areas don't overlap.

Nah, there wasn't enough detail available to do the calculations yourself:  They occur in every 2x2 section of the map, but a 2x2 placed in the dual of that grid has a (3/4)^4 chance of missing all of them.  A 3x3 on the other hand is guaranteed to have at least one of the 2x2s inside of it, so guaranteed HFS, but likely more.  A 6x6 that has 4 2x2s in the center has 4 guaranteed HFS, but 12 other possible HFS, so it ranges from 4 to 16.  There's also another HFS that is placed somewhere in the world map tile, and you might get that too for 17.  A 6x6 that is aligned with the 2x2 grid has 9 guaranteed HFS and the 1 possible extra (9/64 of the time).
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2010, 06:30:09 pm »

I have to say it before anyone else does!

"You've been Toady'd!"
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11