Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.02 Released  (Read 99661 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.02 Released
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2010, 04:51:11 am »

I'm glad to see Toady making some progress fixing crashes and correcting various typo errors, and don't get me wrong; it seems to me he took on the easy stuff this week, and the man deserved the break (honestly the man could have hopped off to California for the week).

He he, there hasn't been a break yet!  I'm still swamped.  The amount of non-programming work just handling correspondence and so on is unprecedented for us...  it's good, but it's a lot of work.  In the two programming half-days I've been able to find so far, I fixed the three crash bugs there, and tested some others that I couldn't get to happen.  The long list of raw changes is mostly just stuff from rickvoid's thread that I did during a compile.  I'm hoping the other stuff will settle down at some point so I can really have some serious bug fixing days, but we're not there yet.  I'll be able to do more fixes per release when I have more time, although the merge is like one large fix that will also lead to some dry spells in the general bug fixing.  It will also add bugs of its own, mostly related to a necessary interface reworking for every screen and particularly in adventure mode.

I don't remember where it was that people expressed some concerns about when I'm moving on to new features and whether or not a lot of serious bugs and combat balance issues etc. will be left behind and whether or not I'm actually aware that there are problems etc., but I'll address that here too.  Of course I'm not going to empty out the bug tracker.  Some things just aren't going to play out right or they'll be really obscure and hard to handle.  On the other hand, I plan to handle every major impediment to play related to problems with the new features, though this very likely won't include the addition of other new features like aiming or whatever.  I can't say whether or not a given player will be satisfied, and I'm sure some won't be.  I understand that there are serious issues and have said as much, and if I'm still sorting them out two months from now, that is what it is.  There will have been many releases improving the game in that time, and I'm not feeling any kind of urge to jump over to new features at this point when things aren't working very well.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2010, 04:53:35 am »

Take all the time you need Toady. You've more than earned the right to rest.

Mr. Marsh-wiggle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2010, 05:29:45 am »

Thanks for the great game, mister Adams! I hope to wait till a that moment, when on a forum, reporting will appear only from two words - "full version".

And as yet I with melancholy look at hunters, which do not want to hunt and on bookeepers which also do not want to execute the duties. =)

P.S. I am sorry for my english.

tomato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2010, 05:40:41 am »

fixing the biggest bugs is more important IMO, at least for me, the broken military training and 'take from pile' orders are game breaking bugs (both are reported in the manits) and as such I couldn't fully appreciate new features if current ones make the game unplayable

still, keep up the good work, and thanks for ending the year and a half wait, though it was worth it

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2010, 06:52:15 am »

Good job, Toady. Go find a princess and take a break.

Nimrod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2010, 07:11:50 am »

Keep up the good work, sir!
You have created something truly wonderful.

cheers
---=== Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam ===---

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2010, 08:20:48 am »

Yet another reason why Dwarf Fortress is the best game ever.
Using that logic, Evil Genius is just as good because one patch fixed, and I quote, a "rare crash involving monkeys".

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2010, 09:14:12 am »

Do whatcha need to do, man.

Might be good to let the community work on balance testing for a week or two in the Arena threads then  base the revisions on what comes out of that.

I just wish the site finder still had volcanoes =(

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2010, 10:44:58 am »

Wow, new version is BLAZING fast!

Did the embark points change? It seems like I've got tons of stuff now, where my last fort was scrounging for three dogs and 6 months of food & drink.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2010, 12:16:15 pm »

severs are annoyingly common now.

Well, that will keep the Dark Dwarves happy at least.  ;D

so.... when are my dwarves going to stop dehydrating themselves and wandering around with blinking blue arrows all the time?  it really freaks me out :(
They don't dehydrate. They get thirsty. Its a lot better than them running off in the middle of what they are doing constantly.

Would it be possible to have civilians carry waterskins or flasks or canteens or whatever while on the job? It certainly would make sense for at least the miners and woodcutters to pack a lunch and a drink to bring along to work.

Jinalealia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2010, 02:15:45 pm »

They do still show up in the site finder as the red ^, it's magma pipes that are no longer visible, which i sorely miss as well.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2010, 02:26:25 pm »

is water still melting dwarves `?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2010, 03:13:06 pm »

They do still show up in the site finder as the red ^, it's magma pipes that are no longer visible, which i sorely miss as well.

I don't know whether you can make them show up with an init setting or advanced worldgen editing.

so.... when are my dwarves going to stop dehydrating themselves and wandering around with blinking blue arrows all the time?  it really freaks me out :(
They don't dehydrate. They get thirsty. Its a lot better than them running off in the middle of what they are doing constantly.

Would it be possible to have civilians carry waterskins or flasks or canteens or whatever while on the job? It certainly would make sense for at least the miners and woodcutters to pack a lunch and a drink to bring along to work.
[/quote]

I agree with the idea of having miners and woodcutters doing that. Probably the same for hunters, especially in hot climates.

I'm just waiting for some of the main bugs like the acid rain, corpses and stuff not rotting (this happens in the arena as well), and some of the pathing issues and maybe other stuff.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2010, 06:59:54 pm »

Yeah, but the real problem is that pipes/volcanoes can't be Searched for (neither can the new HFS =( )

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2010, 07:37:11 pm »

There's at least one HFS spot in every 3x3 area or something. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11