Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.02 Released  (Read 99650 times)

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.02 Released
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2010, 08:20:37 pm »

I've heard nice things about DF Accelerator, AKA the DLL you drop in the DF directory for mad FPZ.

Ok, this may or may not be the right place for this so I'll make sure it fits in in some way...

WAY TO GO!!! I LOVE DWARF FORTRESS IT'S BETTER THAN LIFE!!!!

Ok so, my question is about .31.x.  In 40d, using the mayday tileset, I got about 75-90 fps constant.  In .31.x using the mayday port, I get about 40 fps.  This is similar to the Phoebus tileset, except even worse (25-35 fps).  (Sorry if I misspelled anyone :( )

The reason I ask this here and not in the various threads for the tilesets is that .31.x vanilla also runs about 20 fps slower.  I was wondering (and while I'm not completely computer illiterate, I don't know ANYTHING about gfx) if its simply because of the opengl stuff, or if its something to do with my computer or what not.  If its just that .31.x runs slower because of opengl or more complexity or whatever, tell me how I can boost those fps?

Also, feel free to move this or delete it or whatever, I just miss my 90fps : (.

I'd prefer an emailed response, but I realize that's just being picky.  Feel free to pm or reply here but just in case you are nice...

mercubio@gmail.com

Thanks so much in advance...

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2010, 09:02:49 pm »

I remember reading in the Devlog about dwarves now using flasks to keep working when thirsty.

I made a whole bunch of flasks, then when none of my dwarves used them, traded the lot away (aside from the best) to Elves.

Why this no work? It'd be a nice thing.

Also, how do I change my raws in my saves to work with the new version? Since it takes my entire processor to run DF at 50 FPS (though I AM playing a two-tile-tall, entire-embark-wide fortress to build a bridge) I could use the rumored speed-up.

Wyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2010, 09:29:35 pm »

Does νDF use object oriented programming? I would be really surprised if it does. A lot of the stuff Toady seems to have trouble with in the devlogs would seem a snap if νDF used OOP.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2010, 10:00:03 pm »

Really now Wyrm, the phrase "Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" comes to mind.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2010, 10:18:02 pm »

Does νDF use object oriented programming? I would be really surprised if it does. A lot of the stuff Toady seems to have trouble with in the devlogs would seem a snap if νDF used OOP.

If by "vDF" you mean "DF" then yes, it does.  Toady switched over early in development:

# Core10, OO CODE UPDATE, Completed: Update all of the major code objects to C++.

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2010, 10:39:27 pm »

Yesterday I spent 5-10 minutes solving a software-breaking problem. I found out that it was caused by me writing a capital 'D' instead of normal 'd' in one word.

Give man a break, programming aint that foolproof business :) I greatly appreciate the work you do, Toady. The 0.31 rocks.
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2010, 11:04:43 pm »

Also, how do I change my raws in my saves to work with the new version? Since it takes my entire processor to run DF at 50 FPS (though I AM playing a two-tile-tall, entire-embark-wide fortress to build a bridge) I could use the rumored speed-up.
Same way you get the default Raws to work, Just copy and paste all the new files to the: "data/saves/XXX(save)/raw/object" folder.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2010, 03:15:06 am »

If by "vDF" you mean "DF" then yes, it does.  Toady switched over early in development:

To be fair, using objects and classes in a program doesn't really mean it adheres as a whole to OOP patterns. Of course, none of us really know what DF looks like on the inside.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2010, 04:29:56 am »

There's at least one HFS spot in every 3x3 area or something. 

So if you embark on a 6x6 area, there might be four HFS's?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2010, 04:57:13 am »

There's at least one HFS spot in every 3x3 area or something. 

So if you embark on a 6x6 area, there might be four HFS's?

I think...  as few as 4 and as many as 17?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

dirkzen

• Bay Watcher
  • Flood the depot. Get free stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2010, 06:09:52 am »

i've only had one crash, but i'm thinking it was something to do more with my pc than the game
got a new, shiny pc with dual core and all this other stuff, and was wondering how fast DF could create a world and handle an extra large area
created the world, (which didn't take too long at all!  ;D) then set the area to max, just to see what would happen,  and...  oops. Crasssshhh.    :-\     Thinkin it was probably some screwy hiccup with Windows 7,  or the 64 bit processor thing.
Other than that lil misstep, its all runnin smooth, and my dwarves are happy.

Also, I was pretty impressed at this runnin in 1366 x 768 fullscreen,  while still looking awesome  ;D

((as well as getting a slight chuckle when I flooded a lower area, and read  'a dusting of mud'    xD  )
Forgotten beasts flying up the wells and eating them might cause some negative effects.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2010, 07:26:31 am »

I've heard of crashes related to trying to embark on an obscenely large area before. I'm going to take a wild guess and say it has something, somewhere, to do with memory.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Wyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2010, 08:48:44 am »

If by "vDF" you mean "DF"
Yeah, except 'ν' is 'nu', so νDF = nuDF = DF2010... I guess the subtlety is lost by the font.

To be fair, using objects and classes in a program doesn't really mean it adheres as a whole to OOP patterns. Of course, none of us really know what DF looks like on the inside.
True, dat. I expect a major compatibility breakage when restructuring a program to use OOP, as it basically requires the program to be broken down and rebuilt from the ground up. It just puzzled me why certain things (like milking anything other than a purring maggot) were giving Toady problems when the pieces all seemed to be working fine.

And you're right, I don't know the ins and outs outs of the program... and I somehow think I don't want to know! :o

(I kid, I kid! Props to Toady for a great, if frustrating, game!)

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2010, 08:56:05 am »

If by "vDF" you mean "DF"
Yeah, except 'ν' is 'nu', so νDF = nuDF = DF2010... I guess the subtlety is lost by the font.

"nu" meaning what exactly? And I still don't see any connection between "v" and "nu".

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2010, 09:26:16 am »

Probably an engineer.  A gussied up lowercase Roman v is the Greek letter nu, homophonically "new."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11