Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: New water system?  (Read 9872 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New water system?
« on: April 06, 2010, 12:34:48 pm »

I personally suck when dealing with water and other certain aspects of my fort....hell half the time I just use traders to get semi finished products (such as metal bars) to eliminate part of the requirements.

Now that water is much more necessary (farming and doctoring) I was thinking about the fact that we now have like 100+ Z-levels to work with.

I would like peoples opinion on this idea.

what if I were to make every other floor a duct system of sorts. I was thinking that by having a living floor, then duct, then living floor etc getting water where you need it could be much more easily managed and by having whole floors dedicated to water management would it not be easier to manage as a whole and prevent flooding and the sort?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: New water system?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 12:40:27 pm »

It's certainly feasible and should work quite well. I've seen it done for magma workshops before. Only potential problem would be getting water warnings when mining under your own ducts.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 12:44:35 pm »

I think you can change water announcements to not pause the game, but I don't know if you can set it to not remove designations.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 12:59:43 pm »

I was thinking about the announcement issue as well. But I suppose I would flesh out the floor below first then dig out the duct and try and get everything ready before opening the above level flood gate or whatever I have preventing water from going down. This design could also be purely gravity based if done right although that might create lots of micromanagement with flood gates and all....of course until I try it I will not be able to say for sure. then again unless I make showers or something it will simply be a matter of making sure wells and cisterns are full.

!!Zombie Carp!!

• Bay Watcher
  • Look into my eyes... you must give cooookieesss...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 01:07:26 pm »

My personal method is to dig a shaft as a water pipe (from a river or something) and tap into it with diagonals when I want, say, an area irrigated.

I usually have a drain (fortifications at the map boarder FTW) and some mechanism to block the input in case of accidental flooding.
[pizza=omnomnom]

Randomone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 01:45:14 pm »

This is certainly a great idea. I imagine wells for the peasants, and death chambers for the nobles.

To combat the water pressure problem, you could either dig with diagonals, or use my preferred method which involves hooking up floodgates to pressure plates so that the water level doesn't get above 6/7. This also means you could have manual control over your water systems through the use of levers, if you wish to drain the ducts.

Try to adapt this for magma.
When it crashes the game, its a bug, when it causes mass homicide, its a feature.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 02:42:39 pm »

This is certainly a great idea. I imagine wells for the peasants, and death chambers for the nobles.

To combat the water pressure problem, you could either dig with diagonals, or use my preferred method which involves hooking up floodgates to pressure plates so that the water level doesn't get above 6/7. This also means you could have manual control over your water systems through the use of levers, if you wish to drain the ducts.

Damn dude you just made this whole thing fall into place for me...I forgot about the pressure plates....thank you very much!

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 02:58:57 pm »

and death chambers for the nobles.
can't nobles be assigned and unassigned at will in the new version? So the only way you would have nobles is if you assigned them in the first place?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 03:01:17 pm »

can't nobles be assigned and unassigned at will in the new version? So the only way you would have nobles is if you assigned them in the first place?
1. Assign nobles.
2. Kill them for being nobles.

Rinse and repeat.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 03:02:43 pm »

Yeah, but...death chambers!
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

zecro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 03:12:14 pm »

Build a water piping system for your fort
Make sure all your water ducts have access floodgates or doors (and systems to drain parts of the ducts for maintenance)
Wait for anyone with buildingdestroyer to show up
???
FUN!

FUN aside, you're going to need to make sure you manage pressure well.

However, that opens up a whole new method of FUN... water towers constructed to intentionally raise the water pressure of your entire piping system. You could have a system as follows, opening one floodgate/door for no pressure, and both for full pressure.
Code: [Select]
.++..
._...

Then you put this system in place in each nobleman's room and they become unfortunate victims of gremlins as their personal fountains or wells overflow with pressurized water.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 03:14:59 pm »

Damn dude you just made this whole thing fall into place for me...I forgot about the pressure plates....thank you very much!
I use a spiral system of L shaped pressure reservoirs.

Of course each of those segments is actually on a different level and the ramps line up with the channels. It keeps pressure constant through the entire system and can easily be outfitted to work with a center drain and locks to allow for draining and expanding.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 03:25:30 pm »

Indeed FUN is something that will result from this a time or two. But with proper planning this should be a fairly fail safe system....and I woulda tried it in the last version if we had more than about 30 z-levels max.

On a completely unrelated note I don't like caverns....they ruin my ability to create perfectly formed fortresses >.>

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 03:28:36 pm »

I think you can change water announcements to not pause the game, but I don't know if you can set it to not remove designations.

Just a note for those who don't know announcements are fully adjustable now in the announcements file (same place as the INI)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 04:44:38 pm »

Just a note for those who don't know announcements are fully adjustable now in the announcements file (same place as the INI)
I was aware they were adjustable, but I didn't know how many effects they had. I know you can change if they center in on an event, pause the game or give an announcement, but I didn't know if you could change if they cancel orders, tasks or designations.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: [1] 2 3 4