Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: New water system?  (Read 9880 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New water system?
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2010, 02:55:56 pm »

Woah woah woah, hold up a second. Whats this pump towers without mechanisms thing?

Mechanisms are overrated. Use a pattern like this:

Level A:
O
X
O
X

Level B:
X
O
X
O

Those are alternating gaps in the floor, allowing you to create a pump tower that transfers power and water/magma vertically without use of mechanisms at all.

You may still need mechanisms but only at the very top/bottom when linking to your power supply. Or you can use one at the bottom most pump for a retractable bridge to shut off the pump from the source. You don't need the mechanism to be magma safe for this as it will never be submerged.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/File:PumpStack2010.png

Great diagram. Just do that. Then build a bridge on the open space on the lower left of that diagram, where the intake for the entire pump system is, and that will be your control valve to shut it off.

Astarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2010, 03:32:17 pm »

To clarify a point: If I were to pump water into my fortress at ground level, and then accessed that water several floors below ground level; pushing the water through a diagonal space would keep it from flowing up higher than the z level I accessed it on?

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2010, 03:39:16 pm »

To clarify a point: If I were to pump water into my fortress at ground level, and then accessed that water several floors below ground level; pushing the water through a diagonal space would keep it from flowing up higher than the z level I accessed it on?
Exactly.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2010, 03:42:12 pm »

Yes. I've confirmed this personally in many, many fortresses. Works perfectly. I use this as my standard water supply method to prevent flooding.

Astarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2010, 03:47:15 pm »

That is excellent.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2010, 03:54:27 pm »

Depends what you need the water for. Sometimes I use a second pump at the lower level.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2010, 04:30:34 pm »

Depends what you need the water for. Sometimes I use a second pump at the lower level.

Thats useful for desalinization, but if the water is fresh to begin with just the diagonal works fine.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2010, 04:53:11 pm »

Oh jesus, i've been building vertical stacks of mechanisms with connections to each pump since... forever.  >:(
Magma is overrated.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2010, 05:44:36 pm »

Simple AutoHotKey macro for making the pump stack room illustrated in the wiki. Hit/Hold p for more layers. It's recommended you exit out afterwards.

Code: [Select]
p::Send i{Enter}{Enter}{Right}d{Enter}{Right}{Right}{Down}{Down}{Enter}h{Enter}{Enter}{Up}{Left}x{Enter}{Enter}{Left}{Left}{Down}h{Enter}{Enter}{Up}{Up}{Shift Down}.{Shift Up}
Also note that this is just the digging. I may make one for placing the items if anyone would actually find it useful.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2010, 06:21:49 pm »

Thats useful for desalinization, but if the water is fresh to begin with just the diagonal works fine.
It's useful if you need a lot of volume or quick refilling, for whatever reason(s).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]