Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: New water system?  (Read 9886 times)

Berndarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Have beer will travel
    • View Profile
Re: New water system?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 05:24:45 pm »

1. Assign nobles.
2. Kill them for being nobles.

Rinse and repeat.

muhahahaha got me a new sig
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 05:26:52 pm by Berndarmin »
1. Assign nobles.
2. Kill them for being nobles.

Rinse and repeat.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 07:10:59 pm »

I DO actually have a fort like this!

The main 'fortress' consists of six stories, three plumbing and three filled with living quarters, workshops, etc.  It's...  actually not as impressive as it sounds, mostly just a large 'C' shape ringed with structures.  A 1-tile wide grated aqueduct runs through the center of the main tunnel in every work floor.

The aqueducts are fed from a large reservoir, something like 10x15x30 tiles (with a few unused for supports for the walkways above).  A maintenance stairway runs down one side, covered by a locked hatch (to prevent maintenance from flooding), and a grated drain at the bottom allows the reservoir to be drained...  slowly.  The drain uses the old trick of digging to the edge of the map, smoothing the edge, and then carving fortifications to allow water to drain off into nothing.  I'd like to imagine I'm creating an aquifer somewhere.

The reservoir has two methods of feeding the aqueducts that run through the fortress: first are sets of three pumps...  which work remarkably fast and because I designed them wrong, will flood the fort if I ever turn them on again.  Make sure they're pumping water UP onto the aqueduct level so there won't be pressure issues, or you'll flood your fortress.  It also helps to plan ahead and use lots of doors in the main hall until you're absolutely certain that you aren't going to accidentally flood your fort when you fill the aqueducts.

The aqueduct drain system, which also functions as a slower fill, is a series of diagonal openings with floodgates installed to allow water to either slowly trickle in or out.  Each floor of aqueducts acts separately, meaning it's possible to drain one floor without draining the others.  Since they all hook directly into the reservoir instead of having their own separate drains, though, draining one of the aqueduct levels essentially means draining the reservoir.

As for filling the reservoir, it's just a pretty simple task of finding a nice river or ocean and re-routing it to serve your purposes.  If you want the water to be drinkable, remember that salt water needs to be passed through a pump to filter it and then becomes re-contaminated if it touches natural stone.

It's definitely a big project, but it's also REALLY fun to try and pull off, and once you get it running it looks really impressive.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 12:08:42 am »

As a sidenote:
In 40d we had  pipe sections which could be build but were more or less useless...
has anyone already tested if maybe in DF 2010 they can be assembled to build a real water transporting pipe network?

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 12:23:06 am »

You can't build pipe sections. They can be crafted at several shops, and are a requirement for screwpumps.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 04:50:30 am »

I settled on a human town, for the free loot and defensive meat bags spirit of cooperation and integration.  They have a very nice temple, at the bottom of which is a large pool with constructed stone walls and floor.  It is now my only water source because the rest of the map is salt water.

I've dug down 30z and still not found a cavern yet.. maybe I am just unlucky.  I'll definitely have room for water pipes, and if possible, heated water baths for my dorfs to paddle in.  At least pumps still work like they used to.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 05:22:31 am »

At least pumps still work like they used to.
Sorry, but you need to do something with gear mechs to transfer power... the old style screw pump tower doesn't work.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 05:48:05 am »

Still hoping for a new type of pumps... you know like metering pumps or these elevator types... screw pumps were nice, but it'd be great to add pipe systems for safe long-distance liquid transportation... it might also reduce frame rate issues... who knows...
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 07:09:19 am »

But we can do everything with the pumps we have now!

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 07:30:35 am »

Sorry, but you need to do something with gear mechs to transfer power... the old style screw pump tower doesn't work.

???
NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Actually the wiki is confused on whether they do actually work like in 40d or not.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 07:40:41 am »

Okay, now i'm upset.
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 07:53:16 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 08:48:09 am »

why?  This was the only thing that made pump stacks bearable!

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2010, 09:53:33 am »

In the old version I had a system with pressurised water running through every wall in my fortress (all three tiles wide), with lever linked doors from the water pipes into the fortress at various points, allowing any area of the fortress to be flooded at will. I was still working on a method of replacing the water with magma when the new version came out.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 10:36:19 am »

I have personally used a six floor pump tower in the new version to extract water from a flooded fortress. Pump Towers still work properly if you build them properly!

Channel, floor, channel, floor
floor, channel, floor, channel
channel, floor, channel, floor
floor, channel, floor, channel
channel, floor, floor, floor
Water

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 01:02:14 pm »

THE OLD STYLE OF PUMP STACK WORKS JUST FINE IN 2010!!

*cough* Excuse me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4