Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: New water system?  (Read 9885 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New water system?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 02:32:26 pm »

My personal method is to dig a shaft as a water pipe (from a river or something) and tap into it with diagonals when I want, say, an area irrigated.

I usually have a drain (fortifications at the map boarder FTW) and some mechanism to block the input in case of accidental flooding.

This is exactly what I do if the water source is up top, like a river, and I need water below it.

Just a single up/down stair in a stack, with a bridge, door, or floodgate blocking the flow of water going into the shaft so I can shut off all water from the source, and then I tap into it with diagonals to avoid water pressure flooding, allowing me to get water on multiple Z levels without risk of flooding.

To move water up, its just the traditional pump stack. I usually make it wind powered at the top, creating a nice above ground fortified tower with the windmills on top.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2010, 03:15:45 pm »

To move water up, its just the traditional pump stack. I usually make it wind powered at the top, creating a nice above ground fortified tower with the windmills on top.
Pfft. Real dwarves use perpetual motion machines.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2010, 03:39:36 pm »

Pfft. Real dwarves use perpetual motion machines.

Which are made easier by all the aquifers.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010, 05:58:28 pm »

Aquifers aren't dwarfy enough.
I built a giant pump stack to draw water from an underground sea, a perpetual motion machine, and a windmill farm to start it. Then I got it running. Then I realised there was an aquifer about 50-100 tiles away.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010, 06:06:58 pm »

Loving the new pic on the wiki page -- I found the old one to be a little abstract before I managed to figure out how to run a pump stack.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2010, 08:13:59 pm »

I settled on a human town, for the free loot and defensive meat bags spirit of cooperation and integration.  They have a very nice temple, at the bottom of which is a large pool with constructed stone walls and floor.  It is now my only water source because the rest of the map is salt water.

I've dug down 30z and still not found a cavern yet.. maybe I am just unlucky.  I'll definitely have room for water pipes, and if possible, heated water baths for my dorfs to paddle in.  At least pumps still work like they used to.
I love this...you're drinking the sacred waters of their temple. Talk about sacrilege...

But wouldn't the waters run out? Or is it infinite?
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

KFD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2010, 08:48:50 pm »

I once did exactly what you were saying. Except the floors, walls, and ceilings were made of glass and filled with carp. It was glorious. Albeit, i didnt have the patience to do a whole fort in it, I only did a couple floors before getting sidetracked.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2010, 09:36:04 pm »

Loving the new pic on the wiki page -- I found the old one to be a little abstract before I managed to figure out how to run a pump stack.
Thanks. I just lost ~45 minutes of work on a fort (okay, it was probably definitely over an hour, but I don't want to admit that to myself) so I'm drawing a couple more pump-related diagrams while my miners dig away.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2010, 12:35:58 am »

I settled on a human town, for the free loot and defensive meat bags spirit of cooperation and integration.  They have a very nice temple, at the bottom of which is a large pool with constructed stone walls and floor.  It is now my only water source because the rest of the map is salt water.

I've dug down 30z and still not found a cavern yet.. maybe I am just unlucky.  I'll definitely have room for water pipes, and if possible, heated water baths for my dorfs to paddle in.  At least pumps still work like they used to.
I love this...you're drinking the sacred waters of their temple. Talk about sacrilege...

If it's anything like ponds, it's not.  Murky pools now refill (on their own or due to rain, I'm not sure).  I realized this after I opened one into my farming room and realized the water wouldn't stop.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2010, 01:20:57 am »

If it's anything like ponds, it's not.  Murky pools now refill (on their own or due to rain, I'm not sure).  I realized this after I opened one into my farming room and realized the water wouldn't stop.
Murky pools refill due to rain only.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2010, 03:06:38 am »

It's still full to 7/7 and I've seen several dwarves hanging out there drinking (grumble grumble lack of barrels), so either it's somehow filling through constructed walls, or drinking directly from the pool doesn't take any water.  I'll build a well in the corner to check, because I'm sure wells take at least 1/7 water each time.  Edit:  Well built, used, and now there's a 6/7 water running around in their sacred pool.  So I guess dwarves drinking from the edge don't actually use any water?

On an unrelated note, cave in dust seems to be a lot more dangerous now.  I was trying to punch through the aquifer using the cave in method, and a human fishery worker was standing 2-3 tiles away from the edge of the hole.  He was caught in the dust cloud and instantly killed, with some of his body parts and blood showing up next to the collapsed area.  Whoops.  At least now I know what to do for seige defence.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 06:35:59 am by Dorf3000 »
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2010, 07:22:45 am »

Woah woah woah, hold up a second. Whats this pump towers without mechanisms thing?
Magma is overrated.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2010, 09:44:50 am »

There's a great picture on the wiki.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2010, 11:59:15 am »

I just added another diagram and moved a bunch of still-correct information from the 40d page to the 2010 page.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2010, 12:21:16 pm »

I just added another diagram and moved a bunch of still-correct information from the 40d page to the 2010 page.

That is a bit better from the old one. Bravo.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4