Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 180179 times)

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing
« Reply #990 on: March 26, 2014, 02:39:45 pm »

My character got an update too yay... Also Thanatos would like to help guard the lab during expirements. Thanatos recognizes the need to learn where they come from and how to defeat them
We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #991 on: March 27, 2014, 08:30:53 am »

Ooh, nice update.

Glad you liked my drawing.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #992 on: March 27, 2014, 10:42:03 pm »

Kaladin. Kaladin Sakrithtarmid Rithul Oram.
Female
Mason and possibly fisherdwarf

Solitary, lives alone and builds. Peaceful, dislikes confrontation and fighting. Patient and a perfectionist.

She was a trader until her caravan was destroyed by goblins. She alone escaped, and was scarred by the experience. For years she lived alone in the wilderness, carving stone and fishing. When the rare adventurer did stumble upon her stone house, there were so many statues they thought it was the lair of a Medusa. Then one day, a caravan guard arrived at her door, covered in strange wounds and speaking of beasts called "Nothing". She left with him, and sailed on a stone boat downriver until they reached a mountainhome - Nomekast. She avoids people as much as possible because they are noisy, even building herself a table, chair and workshop in her bedroom so she doesn't have to go outside. She has an odd love of mushrooms, especially nether cap, and an extreme dislike of microcline and orthoclase.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:29:43 pm by Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum »

Zorrin_Drake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: March 31, 2014, 05:04:54 pm »

Nathaniel Stomwind sat at his desk planning for the upcoming festivities; in front of him were several different escape plans
for in case things went south with the thieves guild, the guard, or Ibruk's priests.
He sighed as he looked at the papers on his desk picking up the plans for his sanctum, he sighed again rolling it up and
putting it on the desk.
"Onthorn, have you checked the plans I made?" Onthorn nodded, saying "Yes... Looks sound."
"Ok, Kizerbane and Kane, the two of you will keep an eye on the festivities, and Elitan and Forgar will keep an eye on the
entrance." Kizerbane groaned as Kane, Elitan, and Forgar nodded. "What of me?" Onthorn asked, "You are very familiar
with the workings of thieves, so after the morning mass at the Human temple, before the festival, we will perform the
ritual of possession so that you can get this task done with the best outcome." Onthorn frowned, "You want me to possess
you for this operation?" "Yes, you are the best thief and spy master for this job." Nathaniel smiled, "It will only
be for this job, ok?" "Very well..."

{ooc: For the festival operation Onthorn will be possessing Nathaniel's body
 1:Onthorn's personality is very professional, but subdued
 2:Onthorn only speaks in short sentences when talked to
 3:It will still seem as if Nathaniel is in control of the body (they have done this before on several occasions)}
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 10:15:08 pm by Zorrin_Drake »

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: March 31, 2014, 11:15:54 pm »

Very nice update! I'm liking the whole atmosphere this is heading to, specially digging out the Thieves Guild, since it gives a good notion as to how much time has passed since Nomekast was erected.

---

Also, quick change to my character app: Could you change his name, if you put it on a list, to Sheodir Redsage (With "Sheo" for short, told by him to others to call him that as to appear even more friendly)

That'd be very appreciated since it sounds better, but if you're too busy or can't for some reason, I'll understand.

And thanks for your comment! I sure want him to cause some havoc, since that's always lots and lots of fun!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:25:07 pm by Sheo »

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: April 04, 2014, 06:17:12 pm »

Oshha, 99Hedgehog, Shadowhammer, Karkov, Wade Wilson, Captain Lambcake, Arcvasti, !!pyrodwarf!!, danmanthedog, Sheo, Baffler and Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum, your character bios are all up on the first post!

13th Malachite 679 - Noon

"Not far now!" Tragarus' voice rang through the air as he spun round to address the group. For weeks now they had been crossing the lands in search of the fabled 'Nomekast', the 'fort that survives' that the traders had spoken of and word of mouth had amplified the story of. Originally several groups that had joined together, they were now only nine, having been picked off one by one by Nothing and flying Nothing.

"'Bout time too," came the voice of Mephiles, the goblin moving up to stand besides the man, peering into the distance at the rising walls of Nomekast. "We should be able to get there easily enough...yeah that's what I thought," the goblin continued, trailing off as he moved into a conversation with himself as he was apt to do, moving to the side.

"I'll be glad to be gone from that crazed gobbo's side," Baffler grunted, the dwarven jeweler hefting his small bag of belonging onto his shoulder as he glanced at the distant form of the fort they'd all sought.

"Aye, that's true enough," replied Kaladin before her breath hitched. "Wait...what's that?" she pointed to several dark shaped off on the valley slopes, moving down them.

It was the elf PD that replied, his keen elven eyes making out the shapes of the creatures that had hunted them all along the way. "Nothing!"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tragarus took a sharp intake of breath, waving an arm to the others behind. "Get moving! We need to get down there before the damned things do! Norkas and Arcvasti, you two bring up the rear, Litlbear and Karkov, get the bags!" There was a flurry of movement as the group moved, getting up from where they'd been resting and assembling their belongings.

"Armok help us, we may need to fight our way through," Sheodir Redsage remarked, hefting his mace onto his shoulder.

Mephiles snorted, resting his hand on the pommel of his sword. "All the better."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It was Neotemplar that had noticed them. The goblin had gone up to the surface in a bid to work on her beekeeping project and help her 'fellow bees'. Once she'd noticed the group she'd sounded the alarm and before long the militia was assembled within the compound, having decided that due to the Nothings' location in relation to the refugees, there was no choice but to sally out and buy the group enough time to get inside. There was little talk as Tarran and Derm explained the situation and before long they were moving out, towards the mass of Nothing that swarmed down the valley.

The Nothing didn't take long to react to the militia's arrival as the bolts began to fly from the crossbows, swarming towards them. The militia didn't take long either, Juggernaut hefting his battle axe and warhammer and leaping in with a cry to Armok, soon followed by Kuro and Katana, their blades slicing through the Nothing and the rest of the militia.

More Nothing continued to move down the valley towards the group, cutting off the ranged squad from the rest of the militia and leaving Rovod, Doc. Steve, Rar, BranRhi and Reno to fend for themselves as best they could in melee.

Neo was the first to notice, possessed dwarf moving in to help the ranged militia but only managing to find himself likewise isolated and trying to fend off five Nothing at once. He dispatched two with his sword but was soon overwhelmed, one Nothings tendrils grabbing hold of his right hand and snapping it back with a sickening crunch before doing the same to his shoulder. Pain coursed through him and he fell to the round, vision going black, just in time to see Rovod slam his crossbow into the back of a Nothing. This attracted their attention to the marksdwarf and soon enough Rovod found himself under attack to, with only his crossbow to fend them off. Soon enough he was swarmed over, left hand and hip broken, falling down unconscious.

It was Thanatos, Meinhard, Rashem and Justice that came to save the pair, cutting through the Nothing to protect them even as more of the beasts moved in.

"Tarran, ve need to be movings, hokay?" Meinhard called up to the militia leader as he pierced a Nothing through with his spear.

"Not yet! The refugees are still getting in!" Tarran cried back, parrying a tendril as he stood guard over the fallen form of BranRhi, the mute man squirming the ground with a broken hand, having been swarmed by several Nothing.

"We've brought them enough time, that's all we needed to do!" Melagius broke in, stumbling back as a Nothing charged towards him.

"We're not gonna be able to hold much longer! There's more coming!" Xenir managed to get out before being swamped with three Nothing, ankle being crushed in the coils of a tendril as he went crashing down.

"We can't just pull back, we've got wounded!" came Doc. Steve's voice as he let off a bolt into the Nothing looming over the fallen Xenir.

"Doesn't look like we have much choice..." Rashem's low voice followed as the second horde of Nothing broke against the militia's weapons.

As the Nothing swarmed over the militia they were pushed back, with several of them ending up separated, including the already-wounded BranRhi, who now found himself fighting alone against a dozen of the creatures intent on killing him.

Tarran moved to help, but was attacked before he could, his ankle being crushed beneath him as Xenir's had been before, and BranRhi was forced to defend himself with only his crossbow as the Nothing swarmed against him, tendrils slashing at him and coiling to snap his bones before he fell down to the ground unconscious as eventually went still.

Tarran meanwhile had been attacked as he lay on the ground, arm snapped and hip broken, only being rescued from death by a war-cry screaming Juggernaut followed by a roaring Thud who pummelled a Nothing into the dirt. He was swiftly pulled back by Reno Monty who pulled him to safety.

Finally, Justice's voice rose up above the din of battle. "There's a third group coming!"

"The refugees are in, we need to pull back, get the wounded!" Melagius called out, shouting it several times to ensure everyone heard. The militia began to move back, taking the unconscious bodies of Tarran, Xenir, Neo, Kadzar and Rovod who had each received large gashes or broken bones and along with them the bodies of BranRhi and Sidel, the last of Meinhard's Jagers. As the third wave of Nothing flooded down the valley side, they retreated into the compound to safety.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: April 06, 2014, 07:09:30 pm »

Diary of Sheodir Redsage, Priest of Blood, 14th of Malachite, entry #782

My group has arrived at Nomekast. Is it a place that worships many gods, but it is my duty to slowly lead them to the right path. While all this lowlier gods were created by Armok, they do a great mistake in building temples and status to them; the God of Blood barely gets any praise in this refuge, for a place called Godsaved. There is a statue of Armok in the temple, but it is done in the same way that they praise Id, with a simple statue and nothing more; this will not do.

The people are mostly friendly, though, so extreme action will not be taken until any fanatic followers of the Stonefather introduce themselves properly. I have, however, seen a few flashes of some, what worries me greatly.

In the meantime, I'll see if I can pass by the supplies and build a small shrine to Armok somewhere where it can't be seen. While I doubt these people would take any offense to a worshiper of the Blood Father, I doubt they'll be as accepting once I start to collect the blood of the dead, be it man, dwarf, elf, goblin, animal or monster, and create a proper Red Mirror for my shrine.

A small one should suffice for now, about
(annotations of size, basically he wants to create, in game terms, a 1x1 hole filled with blood, in front of a statue or something similar) in size should suffice. This scares many newcomers to the faith, as it is of ignorance to them not to know the proper way to honor the Allfather.

I'll try to make friends with those less religious and lead them to the rightly path. I shall begin with the goblins, I think; they are mostly faithless, and the prospect of using blood for worship usually fares well with their natural desires towards violence. With a bit of practice, they should make good Crimson Brothers in not time.

I will also offer my skills to help the militia here. To anyone who asks, I am but a simple soldier, his army lost to this war with the foul creatures. That should give me enough trust to infiltrate their ranks.

Dear Allfather, I have shown mercy in this entry, but mark my words: The blood of those who submit themselves to worship of the lowlier kind shall be offered to you, and your thirst quenched, as I will be the one to end this curse brought upon by your holy wrath. Even if I have to let the Nothing overrun it like in Groundbridge, where there were none to be saved.

Blood for the Blood God!

---

Just adding some plot to the plot pot. Wonderful update as always, glad to be in!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:12:04 am by Sheo »

!!pyrodwarf!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: April 07, 2014, 04:31:55 pm »

ininininin SSSAAAAAFE!!! HAHAHAHAHahahahaheheheheeee

these little people little thingsss DWARFS these dwarfs had safe place a mountain of worked stone to keep the Nothing out, keep the Nothing out and the Nothing tried to keep US out and THEM in, and we all bledandhurtanddissolve! well the people who helped us diddnt dissolve but the nothing did!! vile tasteless unfilling ENTREE'S burn burn burn them all!!!

I wonder if they have any wine in this hole? I could really go for a good vintage of strawberry prozac about now... but maybe not on annn empty stomach sososo hungry!!!!

THE DEPTHS hunt I will hunt in the depths for these people needaweapon Ilostmyfathersbow needneedneed NEW WEAPON I will hunt and when the call comes I will be ready to fight, ready to KILL burn the shadows BURN THEM FROM THE SURFACE

I will not fail again!!!    y'know... this wine ain't 'alf bad *HIC*

(PD was found later, still covered in mud, head down in a barrel of wine, recognizing a kindred spirit, the dwarfs let him be...)

!!did I just kill this thread? or are people just not that fond of mad ramblings?!!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:21:10 pm by !!pyrodwarf!! »
you all saw it! that  !!orphanage!!  attacked me first, It was Self-Defense!

RogueArchivist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: April 15, 2014, 12:37:20 pm »

Its not you. There have often been long periods of inactivity.

In other news, I continue to enjoy this story. Looking forward to more.
(I'm trying to come up with a journal post, but what I refer to as my imagination isn't cooperating.)

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: April 15, 2014, 04:29:27 pm »

14th Malachite 679

BranRhi and Sidel's funerals took place the day after their death, the bodies being taken down into the crypts of the temple and deposited as per the common rites. The scarred man had had few friends outside the militia, apparently having been mute from an attack by the Nothing prior to his arrival to Nomekast. His skill in crossbowship however had been widely respected, and even those that hadn't known him knew another loss in the military - on top of the serious casualties that had almost sent a despondent Reg to tears - was a bad thing.

The new refugees had quickly been sorted into jobs, Nomekast brooked no layabouts, or rather, brooked no layabouts that drew attention. No one had yet seen Stas ever doing more than hauling the cursory stone. Tragarus Helmbolt had been drafted into the militia as a swordsman, as had Mephiles. Sheodir Redsage too had been drafted in as a maceman. Yet more refugees stumbled in during the morning, this time from the cavern, the first: Shadowhammer, a dwarf from the unknown eastern state who seemed clueless as to the whole situation on the surface and the swarms of Nothing, he was quickly brought in as a hammerdwarf, the militia needed all the people they could get. The second: Danman, one of the 'deep dwarves', a group of dwarves that had split from the others during the dawn of history, escaping into the lowest caverns and following the cult of Ogred over that of Armok. There was some small consternation about letting such a 'savage' into the community and in the end it had been Brosso of all people who had defended Danman, stating that if they already let in elves, goblins and trolls there was no reason they couldn't add in another 'savage race'. Both Danman and another newcomer, the rather agitated, maybe even disturbed, but almost dwarven in his drinking, elf PD had announced their separate intentions soon after to hunt in the depths as their contributions to the community.

Preparations continued meanwhile for Stronghammer's festival which was to take place tomorrow. BranRhi's death and the wounds of the militia had placed a damper on the event, but for some it was a reason to look forward to it, and a day of forgetting their troubles.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Evening

Brosso's tavern was alive with noise as night fell on Nomekast. The sound of laughter rang from the centre where a group of the militia had assembled, apparently set off by a joke from a recovering Rovod. To the side, several of the fort's small kobold community, including Bayar, Xenos, Konith and the newcomers Norkas and Arcvasti had gathered, no doubt to share news of their communities, while Kadzar was conversing with a fellow member of Ibruk's flock. Out in the open-air area the odd-pair Grawp and Thud were talking amicably in broken Dwarven. In a corner, the soft sound of a flute occasionally broke through the noise, playing folk songs such as The Lass Who Loved a Tree or the Lord of Two Marshes as William de Mont-Saevo worked on refining the instrument, a pipe on his lips, while by the bar, Brosso himself was spinning a tale of his glorious heyday as the premier circus director in the dwarven north.

In another corner, two figures sat, voices quiet and indistinguishable over the noise all around them. The smaller one bristled, face shrouded through his cloak, stroking his beard. "I am not a fan of these methods, Bax."

The goblin dismissively blew air through his teeth. "I told ya Stas. It'll be fine, safe. We don't have many other choices. That door must be several feet of solid metal, we can't get through without those keys."

"But he's a man of the gods-"

"Don't get devout on us now."

"I suppose you're right. I would feel better just pick-pocketing him."

"Atis has been trailing the dwarf for the past few days, those keys aren't attainable like that. Takes his duties as Temple custodian seriously he does, keys around his neck, never takes them off except briefly to use them."

"We'd be drawing a lot of attention-"

"Which would be blamed on that Nathaniel man, if they even realise someone broke in. There's shadier people than us, and Derm's lot trusts me, that can buy us some protection if we're suspected."

Stas went quiet, a small sigh escaping him. "Yes, you're right. Best to keep quiet now, people here might be deaf from all the noise, but walls have ears."

Out of the corner of his eye he saw Kadzar finish his drink, getting up to move off with a goodbye to the dwarf he'd been speaking to. Stas nodded over to Bax as the priest left the tavern, followed soon after by the kobold Konith. He raised his voice. "Time for dinner, no?" Bax gave a nod and the pair got up, moving out after Kadzar.

They found Konith waiting by the bridge over to the Mayor's quarters and the dig-site of the cathedral. "He's inside, evening rounds," was all the kobold said, and with a nod the pair moved past, the kobold remaining behind to keep watch on this side of the bridge. Kadzar was indeed by the rock-strewn site of Ibruk's future cathedral, sat before where the entrance was to be carved, eyes closed as he prayed. He often came here in the evenings it seemed. The place was usually deserted, so perhaps he found the quiet relaxing for prayer, or else found the site of his prophet's future cathedral more auspicious and holy for prayer than the current temple itself. Either way, they had to be silent. The pair pulled on the simple pig-tail bags over their heads, staring through the small eye-holes. Comical perhaps, but it'd keep their identity safe if Kadzar were to look round.

Stas stood guard while Bax moved forward, taking one of the many many rocks that littered the dig-site in hand. The quiet murmur of Kadzar's prayers masked any sound of the rock beneath his feet as he approached and before long he was stood directly behind the dwarf. With the speed of a striking snake Bax slammed his stone into the back off Kadzar's head. A dull thud rung and Kadzar slumped forward, having not had the time to do anything more than let out a small groan of pain.

"Damn, hope I didn't hit too hard..." the goblin muttered to himself, leaning forward to the motionless dwarf and placing a hand on his neck, taking the bag from the dwarf to inspect the damage the rock had done. Nope, still good. The dwarf would probably have a bad gash and a headache at worst. But the goblin had to be quick now, it wouldn't be long before the priest stirred.

His fingers snagged around the chain of keys the dwarf wore around his neck at all times, taking them with a metallic jingle. He threaded the red orichalc key from the chain, pocketing it and pulling out a similar key. It wasn't orichalc as the real one - the fabrication of the metal being a rather closely-kept secret of the temple's - but had been coloured as such. Kadzar was unlikely to notice unless he felt the need to closely inspect the keys. Threading the false key on, he replaced the chain around the dwarf's neck and stepped back. He then took several stones, showering the dwarf in them, piling them around him and even dropping one onto Kadzar's back and leg with enough force to leave bruises. To anyone, including the dwarf, it would most probably seem that there had simply been a small unfortunate cave-in that had knocked the dwarf unconscious a few moments. The site would be shut for a while as they shored up the ceiling, and no one would be any the wiser as to the theft of the real key.

The goblin hurried back, pulling his mask off with a nod to Stas, who followed, soon joined by Konith, the trio keeping away from others so that no one could see where they'd just come from. The first job was done, now they needed only to wait for the festival tomorrow and then they'd be able to open up the orichalc room in the temple and get the artefacts Ibruk and his flock had decided to hide away.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: April 15, 2014, 04:49:34 pm »

To think that an fort filled with such strange creatures is alive when the darkshadows are everyplace. *Suddernly Caught sight of the prettiest thing in the deep caverns* Huh what is that lovely she creature, so tall and thin like my women but she more bastante like other creatures. Me have to talk to she *Walks over to the ELF and asks here* "Yow Wah gwaan, ARHH I mean hello I want to know your name okey so."

Fori or other named elf you want to be the elf I'm talking to and also my kind speaks a mixture of Jamaican and Spanish we also have bad grammer so i'm using major bad grammar on purpose.

!!pyrodwarf!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: April 16, 2014, 12:50:37 pm »

!!@danmanthedog heheh sure but don't expect it to go the way you plan.!!

The strangeoddweird littlelittle per-DWARF that odd dwarf spouted babble and nonsense only I can talk nonsense DONTSTEALMYDRIVEL!!!

*SMACK*

there now nonoNOONE will take my words my words no one elses!!!
... oh dear, hope that didn't hurt too much, oh my... what wasss I I thinkinginging OOOH SHINY
 NEWBOW one of of the litt-DWARF bows, little arms cant pull bow string farfar enough so they make NEW arms to pull it, and hold it and *TWING* ARGHMOTHEREATINGSONOFAMARMOT!!! *CRASH* *THWIP* owowowowowowowEAR! GAAAHHHHHHHHH

(leaving a stunned dwarf, a shattered crossbow, and a spatter of blood from his string-stung ear. the madelf flees the scene)

!!sadly, this has happened to me before...!!

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: April 16, 2014, 01:46:58 pm »

!!@danmanthedog heheh sure but don't expect it to go the way you plan.!!

The strangeoddweird littlelittle per-DWARF that odd dwarf spouted babble and nonsense only I can talk nonsense DONTSTEALMYDRIVEL!!!

*SMACK*

there now nonoNOONE will take my words my words no one elses!!!
... oh dear, hope that didn't hurt too much, oh my... what wasss I I thinkinginging OOOH SHINY
 NEWBOW one of of the litt-DWARF bows, little arms cant pull bow string farfar enough so they make NEW arms to pull it, and hold it and *TWING* ARGHMOTHEREATINGSONOFAMARMOT!!! *CRASH* *THWIP* owowowowowowowEAR! GAAAHHHHHHHHH

(leaving a stunned dwarf, a shattered crossbow, and a spatter of blood from his string-stung ear. the madelf flees the scene)

!!sadly, this has happened to me before...!!
I can't tell whats happening thats how crazy it is haa.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #1003 on: April 16, 2014, 10:50:42 pm »

This is a granite slate found hanging on the door to the main hall. It reads:

This is a message for the people of Nomekast.
Please, do not be insulted by me not going to festivals or feasting with you.
I am a Rithul Oram, and so ghosts can speak through me, but only when I have strong emotions, like anger or sadness. Every Rithul Oram has some problem to go with their power, and mine is that loud sounds make me angry. And anger leads to possession. That is a thing I must avoid, and so I must avoid noise.
Thank you for your time.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 04:40:40 am by Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum »

!!pyrodwarf!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: April 17, 2014, 01:05:24 pm »

I can't tell whats happening thats how crazy it is haa.
!! thank you, I am very proud of my drivel! I am particularly proud of ARGHMOTHEREATINGSONOFAMARMOT!!!
In essence, your Ddwarf did his come-on to my madelf, who thought he was stealing his own mad ramblings (due to your description of your dwarfs language and accent), PD assaulted him, briefly regained sanity for long enough to feel a bit bad about it, and then was distracted by your dwarfs crossbow (your profession is hunter, right?), he picked it up, pulled the trigger and was hit by the string, threw it down, breaking it and having the string whip round and hit his ear, leading to him fleeing in pain and even more confusion than normal...
hope that clears it up for you.!!
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 76