Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 180180 times)

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing
« Reply #960 on: September 21, 2013, 02:22:23 pm »

Aequor's story is one of the best out there, man can make a narrative like no other.  That being said I'd like a dwarf in there myself.

Name:        Karkov
Race:         Dwarf
Profession:  Brewer

Backstory:  He's been a dwarf-of-all-trades most of his life until he met a human who thought his name was funny.  After a quick scuffle, the dwarf demanded to know what was so funny about his name.  The human, being the victim of a submission hold at the time, relented and told the dwarf that his name was that of a cheap vodka that was sold in bulk in the human territories.  The dwarf was curious of this circumstance, and made a pilgrimage to go find the brew that had his name on it.  Many cases of the stuff later he found that, though it tasted terrible, it had the right kick to it, and he decided he would make a new brew with the same kick, but tasted slightly better.  He was actually on the verge of getting the mixture just right when the town he had installed his brewery in was attacked by the nothing.  With just a couple of bottles to his name, he traveled to Nomekast in search of a safe-haven to try and fulfill his dream again.  The man's nothing, if not determined.

You can just make him a fixture of the fort if you want to, kind of like Felix is.  Silently doing his job, just watching everything and giving the occasional snide remark.  If you want to make him act like he's possessed that'd be fine.  He's obsessed with getting it right and politics/religion be damned.  He's well-traveled as well so he doesn't care much that there are other races here, everyone's gotta drink sometime after all.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: September 26, 2013, 08:27:41 pm »

Thanks guys! I try to do my best, though I'll admit to occasionally end up forgetting some characters (to be fair to myself, there's currently 41 living ones, another 12 dead ones, and that's not including those waiting for migrants, or the 'NPC' characters like Ibruk and Imiwa.). I have to say, I might be, y'know, hella slow at updating but I do really enjoy writing Nomekast, and I'm glad you enjoy it too. I'm a big fan of world-building, as my confusing writing and info-dumps might sometimes show. :P

Karkov - Thanks, and sure thing, you're on the list with the next migrants!

Felsite 679 - Evening

Stronghammer had declared a festival would be held during the Summer and had already asked for the various prominent citizens who held influence amongst the races in the community to meet with him and discuss what they wanted to see. Work had intensified on the public auditorium in anticipation of the festivities, while plans for a public park where people could relax among the cavern plants were being drawn up by the architect Shin. Jules had teamed up with Felix meanwhile to start smoothing out the auditorium, with help from the gorlak Grawp who seemed delighted to be able to help in any way, babbling to the two dwarves over the noise of the chisels.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Under direction of Tarran and Mifava, meanwhile, the miners had begun to carve out what would eventually be the new barracks of the militia in the old Thieves' Guild quarters long since abandoned.

5th Hematite 679 - Morning

"-but She had fallen far from Zasngalk, dropping through the abyss to Vitti, where the Witchqueen snared her. Unbeaten though was Dustik Bulbearths, and She spoke, and Vitti shook, for no cave of darkness could withstand the Rainmaker-" Ibruk intoned, voice carrying out over the congregation. The morning service had been dedicated to Dustik Bulbearths, goddess of plants and rain. Besides him Kadzar stood in his priestly attire, holding aloft the sigil of the goddess. "-and in the depths She called, and so spoke the Traveller: "What care I for your imprisonment? I who no bars can hold? Earthridden Dustik, forge thee a plough, and farm the fall of your captors, for surely nothing can-"

There was a surprised cry from the congregation and Ibruk stopped, looking out as worried shouts arose. In the crowd Derm lay on the ground, writhing somewhat, the Sheriff having attended his patron goddess' service. "Give the dwarf some space!" Kadzar said quickly, laying the sigil down reverently and moving to come help. Derm was squirming in the earth, voice mumbling low, eyes up in his head. Kadzar pressed a hand to his forehead, checking his temperature. There was a cry, and he knew nothing more.

Ibruk had been the first to leap to his disciple's help as Kadzar fell, writhing on the ground much like Derm. "Brother Kadzar, please, take hold of yourself!" the prophet said, holding a hand out. Kadzar stopped briefly, eyes also up in the back of his head, and spoke, voice low and rasping:

There was silence amongst the crowd around the pair as Derm stilled, quietening as the visions that had wracked him ended, while Kadzar seemed imbued with new purpose, rising shakily to his feet and striding towards the workshops, the crowd parting before him. Then a cry came from the meeting space. "They're back! They're back!" Donned in his militia armour, Neo, the possessed dwarf, arrived at the crowd. "The Nothing have returned above!"

The crowd reaction was unsurprisingly negative. The Nothing had vanished for a long while, seeming to have left the valley for other pastures. They're return presaged nothing good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tarran looked out across the assembled ranks of the militia.

"OK people," he began. "We've got another beast 3-eyed alligator. Comes gratis with deadly dust. And right here on this level, that right Derm?" Derm nodded, having recovered from the visions of the Forgotten Beast he'd received.  "So, that means that we're counting on your squad, Rovod, to get the damn thing before it gets us. And that means that the rest of will. Stay. Behind," he emphasised the last few words, sending a glare to Juggernaut, the Armok fanatic who had before already disobeyed orders to stay back. The man didn't respond, simply tightening his grip on his weapon. "And that means you too," the militia commander after a few seconds, addressing a stern glance to the troll Thud, who towered over the rest of the militia. The troll gave a wide grin, raising a fist, but saying nothing. "Right then, let's move out."

They filed out in their squads, passing over the narrow drawbridge that led out from the colonised part of the cavern into the wilds. The Iron Guard and the Police would remain behind as a protective force. Once they'd crossed, the stone drawbridge rose, slamming shut, a dwarf giving them a thumbs-up from the tower, ready to let them back in once the work was done. Silence descended on them as they moved out,  the only noise that of their armour and the occasional murmur between Derm and Tarran as the Sheriff directed them to where he'd seen Ura in his visions. It didn't take them long to arrive, arriving by the edge of the lake. Tarran signed to Rovod who moved forward, followed by his squad of crossbow-users: Doc. Steve, Rar, BranRhi, Reno Monty and Konith. They moved forward, spotting the huge alligator monster easily, laying on the bank of the lake as they stood on a ledge over it. It'd have to go around to get to them, which would give them time to either finish it off, or retreat and let the rest of the militia finish it.

"I don't believe it," Reno Monty murmured quietly, "I think it's sleeping." BranRhi gave him a silent nod, raising his crossbow.

"Did Derm mention it sleeping?" Doc. Steve asked.

"No, just that it was skulking round the lake here. We should be careful though, what if it's a trap? We know these things are clever," Rar replied.

Rovod quietened them, raising his crossbow. "This is our best chance, get ready. On my mark."

BranRhi was the first to fire, sending two bolts into two of Ura's leg, the bolts digging in deep. The alligator shifted slightly in its sleep, a rumble rising from it, but otherwise remained still fast asleep.

"What's it doing?" Konith hissed, sending a bolt into its side to no reaction but a snore.

A rain of bolts fired into the beast, piercing its prone body completely. The alligator kept sleeping, its three eyes shut. The battle didn't last long, a final bolt from BranRhi piercing Ura in the head.

It gave a shudder, a low groan of pain, and stopped moving altogether. The squad moved up to it, weapons still held out.

Ura remained immobile, dead. Doc. Steve nudged the corpse with his foot. No reaction. He shrugged, turning to the others. "Heavy sleeper," he remarked.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 11:48:58 am by Aequor »
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Zorrin_Drake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: September 27, 2013, 11:07:27 pm »

From the journal of Nathaniel Stormwind:
                                                             Tales from the Void
                                                          Chapter 6 Twisted Fates

It has been a very interesting time sense my last entry in this tale. To start, a festival will be had very soon, the shadow demons have returned to the land above, a forgotten one came from below, and Kadzar has been possessed by an unknown entity. I have set a list of things to do.

The list: 1: get sample of Ura's blood
            2: monitor Kadzar and question him if he succeeds in creating a new artifact
            3: get in contact with thieves' guild to find a way to get in the room with the "cursed gem"
            4: prepare for artifact investigation for during the festival
            5: When things have settled, summon and unsummon Ura's spirit (in my sanctum) with his blood and question him and find out why he came here

things that still need doing are:

1: help Weiss with wood collection
2: finish sanctum
3: continue investigation on Lerdi's skull and cage some cursed crundles
4: do a checkup on Xenir's "condition"                 

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: October 11, 2013, 01:18:53 pm »

Excerpts from the journal of Mifava Nitharanemo, Druid:
Spoiler: First of Felsite, 679: (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Date Unmarked: (click to show/hide)

------------------------------------------
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: October 21, 2013, 07:12:44 pm »

I just thought how a Gorlak could engrave without shaking his head back and forth.
Perhaps the tusks shoot forward like little pistons.
The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

Wade Wilson

• Bay Watcher
  • My common sense is Tingling
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: January 30, 2014, 11:50:27 pm »

finally finished reading, this story is freakin' awesome :D
i would like to request a goblin
Name: Mephiles
Job : swordsgoblin/butcher (I know we don't get much meat, but for when we do)

was a good soldier with a tactically sound mind, but after seeing his tower fall to the nothing early in the war he kinda snapped. is still a strong warrior, but his mind has deteriorated during his long flight from the Nothing. He often holds conversations with himself, say something, waiting for an answer, then talking again. Should he join the military, he will be loyal to his fellow soldiers. has no use for gods or religion.

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: February 14, 2014, 01:19:07 am »

About my character just adding some past jrrocks human dual swordsman.

While everybody sees his cheerful exterior they don't realize it is just a mask. On the inside he is very dark everyday when he goes back to his quarters no one sees him there sitting on his bed smoking cigarettes a painfilled expression on his normally cheerful face. In combat some might realize its a mask they see him with a feral grin on his face smoking a cigarette. The way he fights letting out all his anger,sadness,frustration and most of all pain. His father a swordsman viciously abused him. His mother a surgeon did not care. When he fights he uses what they taught surgical strikes on important areas while staying agile. His mother a pacifist who learned the anatomy of all species and how to treat all of them allowing him to know where to strike. His mother all so have him his great patience. His father a human champion swordsman who nobody would believe would harm a child. At school is where he made his mask becoming popular but all the while holding his friends at arms length. One day a few goblins made it past the traps in to the school. Brutally murdering his mother and sisters but jrrocks pretended death then knocked out a goblin taking his sword. He attacked the goblins with a fury he never knew killing them all hacking at their bodies even after death. He thought his dad would be proud but all he did was tell him it should have been him and when started to cry  his father took him home cut him up and told him one thing " warriors don't cry" the only phrase he ever took to heart. When he was 18 against his fathers orders he went to college and got a PhD in military history learning every species military history and getting straight a's. Soon after his father died when he "fell" on his sword. Using his sword skill he wandered the land soon becoming known as Thantos mortal god of death(change his name to that). Soon he went back to his hometown where he encountered the nothing killing all his friends. He stood there in shocking hearing children crieing soon silenced. With that fury he attacked wiping out all of the nothing so many dead even their blood could not rise. Soon after he begain his way to nomekast to where he is now( he is uaully calm but when he unleashes his temper it is like hell it self is unleashed. He has messy blond hair and sea green eyes that if you look closely held a sharp steel but in combat all it holds is fury. Is also a chain smoker always smoking.no cigars! All he cares about is survival of fort you threaten this forts survival you feel his fury. Does not care about races as long as they help the fort. His favorite phrase even if he does not say it is " the greatest is trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. His war cry "yippe ca yay motherf------". He also quotes a lot of famous sayings from military history)

Journal entry one Thantos

So this is the famed nomekast. More like a time bomb. I will do all I can to help this fort survive. I like strong hammers policies but I think somebody should train the wolf in the art of war and give him to me. Also Foris new views are interesting if implemented in old war would probably lead to civil war. The nothing's tactics are interesting comination of goblin ambush tactics,human wave tactics and eleven sky oriented tactics. More forgotten beast then usual though. seems likely survival arena good idea but circus not but workers Volunteered. Should hand off war trainable animals for protection. Also deem is smart should get him a secratery to help organize and go through more mundane paperwork. Let him choose though has to trust him/her. Add more traps outside to help negate wave tactics. Moat? Time to make sure they don't figure out there is a mask.

"War is just a continuation of politics by diffrent means"
We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: February 14, 2014, 01:24:56 am »

Clarification ( the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world the he didn't exist)
We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: February 14, 2014, 01:27:00 am »

Meant derm not deem

sonofperturabo

• Bay Watcher
  • you can never have enough fortifications
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: February 20, 2014, 05:18:30 am »

is this fortress going? if not than :'( :'( there is now no reason to live. quite frankly, i may as well delete my bay12 account if this story is over.

please please please pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease dont stop writing or armok help me i will sommon the emperor's angels of death!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
iron within, iron withouth

sonofperturabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: February 22, 2014, 01:37:50 am »

is Aequor dead? if so;

[glow=rednnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!o,2,300][/glow]

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: February 22, 2014, 07:02:41 am »

Sorry guys, been busy and just plain not feeling too good these past few months. ::)

Nomekast is still going, got a whole plot to get through after all. Hopefully I'll get an update out soon enough (remember when I used to update regularly? What do you mean that was never a thing?). And your character's on the list Wade Wilson, thanks!
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: February 22, 2014, 07:52:38 am »

Good to hear that your alive and well Aequor, even though you haven't been feeling well. Hope you feel better soon.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: February 22, 2014, 09:17:17 am »

I'd love a dwarf.

Name: Litlbear
Personality: Friendly, gets along well with others, wants to help out
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

sonofperturabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: February 24, 2014, 12:14:44 am »

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Armok would bless Aequor, but Aequor just replaced him!
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 76