Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 180200 times)

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing
« Reply #930 on: July 20, 2013, 03:52:41 pm »

huzzah it has returned. Glad to see you back Aequor!

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: July 26, 2013, 05:18:13 pm »

It's great to see you again, Aequor! Don't let life get you down, we're all patient here.  :P

Also, well-deserved bump, if only because a lot of people probably aren't aware this is active again, and I don't feel right dumping the entire goddamn novel of a post I've been working on before anybody else has a chance to post.  :-X
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: July 26, 2013, 10:29:46 pm »

Dear Journal

Another death has occurred within our humble community. No one knows for sure what has caused it. Most likely it was caused by the stress of our situation. I can only hope that the projects will be finished in time for some of our folk to safely blow off steam. Well back to the paperwork.

Wofi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: July 28, 2013, 09:54:58 pm »

I've finally caught up, woo!

In other news, I'd like to be human'd as the following:

Name: A/A Alum
Profession: Geologist/Sailor
Personality: A human with two personalities. Shortens ending 'ing' to 'in''. Universally dislikes religion. His personalities change randomly (Read: At the whim of the author.) The personalities of the two personalities are as follows:
-Aarde is kind and helpful, but a pacifist. He is an amateur geologist and likes to bask in the sun.
-Aeras is quiet and sarcastic, but has a ton to say when he talks. He loves the forest and the sea, and was a sailor once. Says "damn" a lot.
-The two personalities refer to eachother as "brother" and are on very good terms with eachother.
Extra Info: Comes from the northern island portion of the Excavated Confederation.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 12:09:46 am by Wofi »
Manager of Hugh Mann the Dabbler.
0-2-0

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: July 29, 2013, 08:33:58 am »

Hurray, I didn't kill it!
The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: July 29, 2013, 02:26:02 pm »

Wofi - Sure thing, as with the others, you'll be human'd once there's a free migrant.

4th Felsite 679 - Morning

Weiss Ironscroll grunted as he sent the axe into the trunk of the blood thorn. He had quickly learnt that the crimson trees were easily the densest sort of tree encountered in the caverns. He had no idea what exactly Nathaniel wanted with blood thorn and nether cap logs, but at the rate he was going it would take him an entire just to fell the blood thorns - and that was if there were no distractions, which wasn't assured considering the human had made his way down to the Lower Levels, the wild third level of the caverns where the militia rarely, if ever, ventured. And after this there was more to do, he had to help furnish Nathaniel's little sanctum, carve out his own quarters, investigate the artifacts, so much, it seemed a never-ending list from this side.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As the blood thorn finally fell he stooped down, careful to avoid its eponymous spines and with a grunt hauled the small tree up onto his shoulder. He could only hope that Nathaniel hadn't wanted the larger trees, since the animal trainer had been forced to only fell the smaller trees if he was to have a hope in hell of being able to haul it all the way up the stairs from the Lower Levels up to the Fiery Cistern.

With great effort he hauled the tree trunk up to the Fiery Cistern, giving the guards on duty a cursory nod as they let him through. As he was passing the forges, he heard an angry yell, looking round to see the blind philosopher Arsethotheles bearing on a poor animal trainer who had been hauling bars from the smelters to the stockpiles and who clearly found the blind dwarf - and his eye-sockets embedded with cherry opals - quite the intimidating sight.

"Ah'm blind but ah'm not stupid! Give me back that silver!" The maddwarf had spent well over two years now often working in the forges, smelting bolts from silver. Where the inspiration had come from no one know, but the philosopher certainly knew his way around a forge, navigating using nothing but his excellent memory and hearing.

The animal trainer didn't seem to understand exactly what Arsethotheles wanted, eyes wide as she replied in a frantic voice. "I haven't got it! You didn't have any!"

"Lies! Give! It! Back!"

The philosopher rounded on her, drawing back a fist and swinging wildly, managing to hit her arm.

She gave a yelp, stumbling back and narrowly avoiding tripping into the magma. Arsethotheles swung again, but not seeing where she had gone, his fist simply sailed over her head uselessly until it hit something else: a palm.

Looking down curiously, the troll Thud took hold of the dwarf's arm, keeping him back. "Hey, fightin's not da way to make friends!" he said, apparently having completely misconstrued the situation.

"The," Arsethotheles corrected almost automatically, his education kicking in.

"Da?"

"The."

The scene was interrupted as a hand came down on Arsethotheles' shoulder. Frowning and looking thoroughly unimpressed was a policedwarf. "Not a good move, Arsethotheles. I'm afraid I'm arresting you on charges of Disorderly Conduct: the penalty of which is a imprisonment." The philosopher didn't even have a chance to react as the policedwarf took a firm grasp of his wrist, Thud letting go, twisting it round his back and leading him forward, all as the maddwarf protested all the way to his cell, leaving the animal trainer to nurse her bruise, and the troll to try and learn correct pronunciation on his own.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Derm sighed deeply as he put down the list of worksheets. Ever since Stronghammer had ordered that all people using workshops had to be signed in and out, his paperwork problem had only gotten worse.

"You put Arsethotheles in prison?" he asked again.

Across from him, Sigun, the policedwarf on duty, nodded. "Aye, 26 days in prison, that's the penalty according to the law."

"A month," Derm said, disbelievingly, "you're going to keep him in there for a month for throwing a small tantrum and punching someone once, leaving only a bruise?"

"That's right sir. It may have been a single punch, but it's still assault, it almost caused the victim to fall into the magma, and it could have been much nastier."

Derm ran a hand through his beard. "Could have, but wasn't."

"The law is clear sir. With respect, the police force naturally looks to you for leadership, but the Mayor sets the laws, and I believe he decided dwarven law would be kept until further notice."

"So 26 days in prison?"

"26 days in prison."

Derm sighed again, waving her out, looking glum down at the paper strewn across his desk. Locking up Arsethotheles was bound to cause some voices to be raised, especially those that were already still furious over having to sign in and out simply to use a workshop, or who saw a conspiracy to imprison whatever race or kind of person they thought. And Derm - as Sheriff - would be blamed for the whole incident. He sighed again, picking up his quill. He'd never expected this when he took up the job of Sheriff, he should have, he guessed, but it was too late now.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Brosso the Magnificent sighed melodramatically as he took a deep puff of his cigar, blowing the smoke out over the magma, the small dark cloud illuminated by the glow of the liquid rock. "I tell you," he repeated, "it's not a good sign. The blind maddwarf assaults people. And you know they say that the blind see the future. And before that of course: three deaths. One of which was one of our own going crazy and attacking our own militia! Not a good sign at all."

Besides him, Rashem, Kuro, Katana and a rather bored-looking dwarf shared a glance. The three were on duty guarding the entrance to the magma forges down on the Fiery Cistern. "Didn't strike you to be one to look for omens in everything," Rashem replied to Brosso, leaning on his hammer.

"Not at all! I just heard someone else mention it." The circus-director took another deep puff of his cigar. "I tell you though, if I were in Stronghammer's place I'd get better armour for all the militia, proper weaponry too, better defenses, the whole lot."

"That so?" Kuro said, looking rather disinterested with Brosso's conversation.

"Certainly! The more of those abominations we kill the better, after all. Stronghammer wants to hide, I'd rather take the fight to them and get rid of those beasts once and for all."

That got the dwarf a chuckle from the goblin. "Can't argue with that."

Brosso took another drag of his cigar, blowing the smoke out across the magma. "Still, I guess we just have to trust Stronghammer to do the best he can. I suppose we should be grateful it was only three deaths. Could have been any of us though." He tipped his hat slightly, giving them a nod. "Gentlepeople," he murmured before leaving, a small smile on his face. With both the Imiwa's elves, the Iron Guard and his own work, he'd little by little be sure to get some support from the militia, he was certain. He had, after all, a half-year to finish building support ready for the next elections. And once he was elected, he'd finally be able to help this community the way it was supposed to be.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Evening

Ugo Sosleng grinned out across the cleared space that would soon be his secret laboratory. With the help of Grau, Juggernaut, Meinhard and the remaining Jager, they had cleared out the rubble from the excavation, piling it up while waiting to decide what to do with it, and now they would soon furnish the place. Under guise of Jager business, Meinhard had already procured a heavy door made of lead, camouflaged to appear as part of the rock face. The heavy lead would ensure that no one accidentally opened it simply by leaning on it, while the camouflage would mean anyone not specifically looking for it was unlikely to ever find it; and that was if anyone even came down to the Lower Levels. Ugo now planned to approach Fori in the coming days and try to get her on board with his plans, and then hopefully to fake the death during experimentation of a few of the caged Nothings and surreptitiously bring them down to the secret labs. The goblin scientist had already been hard at work, having followed the militia in the past months, taking samples of the remaining vomit of the forgotten beast Okag, as well as a corpse of the goblin squads for future experiments.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:51:20 pm by Aequor »
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: July 29, 2013, 07:17:31 pm »

Mifava mulls over the prophet's words for a few moments as he turns to leave, before sighing at length.
"...Then the best is yet to come."

------------------------------------------
From the Journal of Mifava Nitharanemo, Druid:

Spoiler:  Sixth of Slate, 679 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Tenth of Slate, 679 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Date Unmarked (click to show/hide)

-----------------------------------------
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 09:21:14 pm by HailFire »
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: July 29, 2013, 08:53:07 pm »

Dear Diary

It has been another long day as mayor. I have received word from the police that our blind philosopher threw a tantrum and punched a nearby worker. While normally that would be something minor, it could have been much worse with the industry and lava nearby. It seems however that this is not the only thing that the divines have decided I am to deal with. I have received reports of Brosso talking in a very negative manner in regards to my policy decision. I am worried that he may cause strife and unrest amongst the populace, and at a time like this it can be most damaging. I will have to look into what can be done in that regards. At the very least I must look into support with the guards, militia and police. Ale rations can be increased, as well as better furnishings for their barrack. I should also look into having newer equipment created for them. I have heard that one of our newer citizens wishes to meet with me to discuss plans for the military, I will have to see what they have to say. I should also look into having Brosso followed, so I know what he is up to.

We must protect the fortress and the people within it. I have noticed that the populace has remained rather broken up into separate parties. I will endeavor to fix this. Hopefully the new buildings I have commissioned will aid in this. I should also setup a festival for the people to find some enjoyment and start to experience different cultures. I will summon the council to see what the different factions would like to see in this festival. I will however announce my intentions to have the festival so that Brosso can not possibly spin it as his idea.

Well I must resume my work and now with a festival to plan and organize I will have much more to do. I think I will reward myself for my hard work with some new jewels. Ill go down to the workshops and take a look at some of the new pieces.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: July 31, 2013, 07:34:26 pm »

"Hey, fightin's not da way to make friends!" he said, apparently having completely misconstrued the situation.
I like you Aequor. You used my character and it was hilarious. Good job.

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: August 07, 2013, 03:24:25 pm »

Can I join?

Name: Tragarus (Tag'gar'rus) Helmbolt
Race: Human
Personality: Courageous (but not stupid), honourable, he despises lying and swearing (profane type, not oath type) or anything dishonest. Loyal and hard working. He is deeply religious. He is gruff, blunt and too the point, even if it means being rude and outrageous.
Info: From a small, but stable population and breeding wise group of clans in the far north-west of the world (as far north as the furtherest north of the Union of Burying, and as far west as the furtherest west of the Empire Roasted North.) The Nothing have barely reach his people due to the constant blizzards and snowstorms as well as a result of freezing cold and the fearsome local wildlife, which has pygmy frost dragons. In fact only three nothings have every reached any of the villages. Travelling south to aid the rest of the world, Tragarus has slain many nothing as he protects a group of refugees fleeing to Nomekast. He is a swordsman is rather strange (as in different not any secrets or anything).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 04:30:10 pm by Oshha »
I give the following note to Rhaken:
I suppose you know who I am by now.  Please keep Lorius from stabbing me when I set up my room next to him.

99Hedgehog

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:USE_TILESET: UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: August 10, 2013, 03:49:32 am »

This fortress is the epitome of epicness. I wish to join in as a kobold:

Name: Norkas the Lonely

His story: He lived a peaceful life in the depths of the world until the advent of the Nothing. He trained in swordsmanship to protect his people and studied the languages of the Overworld so he could interact with the world above. But it was to no avail. The tribe fell and scattered. At the age of 15, he left the underground and roamed the world, talking to none, wrapped up in his own thoughts. Those who saw him created a sort of folk legend of the short warrior, far from home, the Lonely One they called him. On his wanderings, he came across a band of travelers who were going to the fabled stronghold against the Nothing known as "Nomekast". He had a new purpose.

Gear: Cloak and hood, tunic, coat, trousers, boots, shortsword, buckler, large dagger, gauntlets, a helmet of any kind, a backpack and a flask.

Personality: Bad social skills yet tries to be friendly, holds no grudges except against the Nothing and keeps to himself.

Profession: Warrior/Bone Carver

Extra notes: Has had his sword and shield since he started training at the age of 6. He worships the Ascended One known as "Deebus the Amber Sneer", whose spheres are hope, heroes, light, war, survival and the shadows which we hide in. Carves bones when he isn't fighting. He is quite skilled.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 06:29:15 am by 99Hedgehog »
[under a terrifying biome]
"Can you describe what the surface is like?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #941 on: August 10, 2013, 07:54:39 pm »

The travelling engraver Julien scribbles down a piece of a forgotten monster that was once seen Nomekast. It was called Osman, and was a great towering bloated monster consisting of coke that spread deadly vapors. It was defeated in a battle together with a lot of Nothing.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: August 10, 2013, 08:22:58 pm »

Yes! I finally caught up! It took me like two weeks to read up to this point, but I did it! This is an epic story, and I can finally stop lurking it. Can I be dorfed as...
Name: Shadowhammer
Race: dwarf
Story: has made his way through the caverns, all the way from some long forgotten realm to the east, sometimes descending into the 4th cavern level, and didn't even know about the Nothing until a couple days before he found Nomekast. He thinks that Nomekast's religion is nonsense, and follows a much older religion, which he doesn't talk about, and no one really asks about. He likes cavern creatures, having lived among them almost his whole life, so he would really like it if you could capture and tame some for him to keep as pets.
Profession: Hammerdwarf/ animal trainer

99Hedgehog

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:USE_TILESET: UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: August 10, 2013, 09:14:33 pm »

<<+JOURNAL OF NORKAS+>>
Entry 1:

Our party has been searching for Nomekast for weeks. They say it is located in a region known as "the Swamps of Tunneling". I sure hope we reach it's gates soon, we've lost 10 to the Nothing already.

[under a terrifying biome]
"Can you describe what the surface is like?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: August 12, 2013, 01:03:57 am »

Journal of Tragarus

My protected band of refugees has joint up with another last night. This one has not been so lucky as ours. While we have lost none since I joint by group, this new group has lost ten souls already. I hope we don't lost anymore. At least I can make sure if we do, they won't be any under my protection.
I give the following note to Rhaken:
I suppose you know who I am by now.  Please keep Lorius from stabbing me when I set up my room next to him.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 76