Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1230828 times)

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.24 ϟ] - demons are back
« Reply #6180 on: April 07, 2011, 12:42:36 pm »

I usually embark with a grower/brewer/herbalist dwarf.  I either flood a mined area to create mud and build my farm plots or just wall off a stretch of cavern floor, when he's not planting stuff I set him to gather plants which usually finds a few plump helmets.  Plus some of the rare underground plants like blood boils, crystal cane, stoneroots, glow berries and purple stalks which I don't think you can import?  They are all fairly valuable compared to the vanilla crops and grow all year round too.  Really easy skill to train up anyhow, and shroom dwarfs have increased skill rate for learning it.  I didn't realise plump helmets weren't available to all dwarf civs though, thought they were standard food.
You do know you can use soil instead of mud, right?
Yep, I just like to dig pretty far down before carving out most of my fort and it's less hauling if the farms are near the central dining room/food industry area.  So I just dig out a big room and flood it for farms, usually have it all done around midsummer.  This time did take a bit longer as I was digging up from my chamber to the river and hit a lake in an undiscovered cavern so had to hurriedly slam down doors to stop if flooding my entire fortress.  Worked out ok in the end though.

Goncyn - that's usual with body parts at the moment it seems, it's the same when my bonecrafter is making stuff, a stack of bones makes the workshop *CLT*.  This was happening in vanilla as well (was only playing it while waiting for awesome new Genesis to arrive :P )

Daff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6181 on: April 07, 2011, 12:53:21 pm »

*Facepalm* With the addition of a "beekeeper" as a new profession I forgot to add graphics for them... I'll release a patch soon :).

When you release the patch could you add instructions on how to apply it without breaking the save?

I haven't poked around with the files before so I'd rather not break anything by accident ;)

And thanks for the awesome customer support :D
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6182 on: April 07, 2011, 12:58:43 pm »

Update in a few minutes (probably something like 30, I am still changing tiles :P).
I didn't finish alchemy yet (I had an exam today) because I am pretty tired.

Still, bugfixes, no more crashes from keepers and some more stuff (like different graphical versions).

*Facepalm* With the addition of a "beekeeper" as a new profession I forgot to add graphics for them... I'll release a patch soon :).

When you release the patch could you add instructions on how to apply it without breaking the save?

I haven't poked around with the files before so I'd rather not break anything by accident ;)

And thanks for the awesome customer support :D
Sure, but you will still be prone to a "keeper caravan" crash if they decide to bring some wax products (which they couldn't produce).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #6183 on: April 07, 2011, 01:37:55 pm »

so far your mod is great :)

just one question, how do I use the special abilities (like fireball, web, paralize breath) in adventure mode? Regards

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #6184 on: April 07, 2011, 01:50:49 pm »

Packs of early Giant Boars are really nasty, if they stay that way in vanilla might you be able to tone them down a bit?
An early entwife made a beeline straight for my embark site, overturned a wagon and drunk all the booze :D
Giant boars (wild pigs) are not in the game. I guess "giant badger boar" and sow? They are new to vanilla, 20x 15 kg = 300kg, not so large, they're just murderlustic.
I did tone them down! (change not yet copied to Deon's release?)
They're [CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:4] in Genesis and [CLUSTER_NUMBER:4:12] in vanilla.

Ents: good fun, gotta have some creatures with CURIOUSBEAST_* so they approach your fort.

Our fortress grows stronger, though! I was afraid we would wither and die in the face of further aggression. Now, to design better defenses... and maybe find the caverns so we can figure out how to graze our animals safely...
Three weapon traps with "=marble mechanisms=" and 10 "=spiked wooden ball=" (ridiculously valuable compared to -metal weapons-) in each, That is doable without metal. I might tone down the spikedwoodenball if they kill armored foes too well. Hey, a wooden club trap component should be made! A "subdue incoming beast" corridor.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My idea of safe grazing is a soil-layer dug cave next to our water reservoirs, filled by draining a 7x7-ish pond into many 3x2 pits.

just one question, how do I use the special abilities (like fireball, web, paralize breath) in adventure mode? Regards
Thanks Krelian, I help Deon improve the mod.
Can't, Toady has not coded a command for firebreath/shootweb in adventurer mode. Bite's injected toxin might work for adventurer, but I don't remember seeing a bite attack opportunity.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 02:05:27 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Goncyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6185 on: April 07, 2011, 01:59:09 pm »

My idea of safe grazing is a soil-layer dug cave next to our water reservoirs, filled by draining a 7x7-ish pond into many 3x2 pits.
I guess I've never really gotten comfortable with how to move everything underground. Don't you need to breach the caverns before things will grow underground? How long does it take for grass to grow once you muddy some soil? Can you fish underground? I can see a water reservoir being useful; I've just never done a lot with liquids so I'm not nearly as familiar with the methods as I am with, say, farming or metalworking.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6186 on: April 07, 2011, 02:04:32 pm »

Thanks Krelian, I help Deon improve the mod.
Can't, Toady has not coded a command for firebreath/shootweb in adventurer mode. Bite's injected toxin might work for adventurer, but I don't remember seeing a bite attack opportunity.
The bite works in adventure mode, or at least it did when I played a few versions ago. Using the toxin I think is actually sting.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #6187 on: April 07, 2011, 02:08:09 pm »

I guess I've never really gotten comfortable with how to move everything underground. Don't you need to breach the caverns before things will grow underground? How long does it take for grass to grow once you muddy some soil? Can you fish underground?
Yeah, must breach. Invisible spores spread all over the map, they you wall off the caves again for safety. Cavegrass pretty quick, and no water is necessary for getting grass to your soilcave-pasture. But: swamp peat will not grow grasses, it's a custom Genesis soil.

Edit: Fort dying, soon from tantrums, there are three squads of weres, along with three squads of war animals (which weres aren't supposed to use)... mystery forest fire, but no creature in the mix should have firebreath.
Fire reaches stationary were+ani squads: CRASH! Ohwell. my outdoor walls were confusing them, they should have charged right in...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 03:03:50 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

- 3.24b
* appearance of Phoebus version
* two-handed swords are now properly two-handed
* fixed keepers' trading goods crashing bug
* finally fixed "cave fish skin"
* yet another tweak for keeper profession names (hammerman - paladin, swordsman - knight, maceman - templar)
* latin language for keepers
* added beekeeper graphics
* added platipus child graphics
* added dodo graphics
* fixed centaur/scavenger adventure tier conflict
* made all races playable as outsiders even if they are extinct
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

asfghn

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:erratic nature]
    • View Profile

* made all races playable as outsiders even if they are extinct
Yessss! I love you, thank you! :D

Quick question to the rest of the thread; do any of you have any spiffy programs or anything for converting saves? Would any files I have from, say, 3.22a be better left regenned? :P
GENESIS: HARDCORE.
Kat has been ecstatic lately. She has slept in a fine bed recently. She has talked with a friend recently. She has captured monsters for her pocket recently. She has been bored recently.
She is a member of the Sand Fleas.
She likes gypsum, jade, emerald, violence, horrific monsters, fire and werewolves for their sweet nature.
When possible, she prefers to consume peach tea or Pepsi.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Definitely better. Pre 3.24b there was a crash with keeper caravans/towns. If you don't have them, just replace graphical/raw files.

Also I forgot to mention in the changelog that giant rats are now trainable :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Crux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile

* finally fixed "cave fish skin"
* latin language for keepers

This is why I use Genesis.  These are two things I have actually just done for myself, and here you've done them for Genesis right as a finish.

Why do I bother ;)
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do the Ironhand and Phoebus versions of the mod have the same Dwarf graphic tiles? Because they appear the same. Not a problem if the Dwarfs are supposed to look the same. :)
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

They both use Sphr dwarves. I didn't bother to make Ironhand tiles yet, and it's pretty easy to do. Just get the dwarven .png and replace the contents of [CREATURE_GRAPHICS:DWARF] in the file /raw/graphics/graphics_example.txt.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 642