Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1230746 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

bit of a dude
what does this even mean

To make this post a leeeetle more on-topic, I want to thank you again, Tomi, for turning me on to the existence of WinMerge! For my personal Genesis games I tend to make quite a few alterations to the creature raws—mostly adding [PET] or [TRAINABLE], removing some instances of [COMMON_DOMESTIC], overhauling the silver foxes to mirror their domesticated real-world counterparts, etc—which usually meant that I avoided Genesis updates like the plague, not appreciating the several hours that went into going through the raws line-by-line by hand.

With WinMerge, what ordinarily took me 2+ hours was reduced to about 30 minutes, and that was with interruptions! I love you so much! ♥

Also, still wondering about those werewolves. {:|
Woah, damn it. I've made ALL races playable when extinct except for the werewolves. Just another oversight *sigh*. If you really want to play as one, add [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE] to their entity in the entity_werewolves.txt.

Or just make bigger worlds so they have places to live :).

Is there any way to modify the embark amount for dwarves? With all the new changes i really want a larger mining force my works can finish sooner rather then take years--i've already contemplated making the starting 7 all miners but that still wont be enough to ensure my standard fortress gets dug out within 2-3 years rather then 4-5 years.
I think DFusion allows it.

Quote from: TomiTapio
Edit3: Deon todo: soapmaker's and scriptorium have same hotkey "S".
Thanks, I will fix it.

Quote from: Spriksprak
out of interest does that tagging of category add anything or is it really just a punch attack attached to the head?
regardless it's awesome, I headbutted a night creature in the head shattering its skull, etc, etc. and sent it already dead and flying across the cave to explode on the opposite wall!

keep up the good work guys, this is quite simply a brilliant mod!
Headbutting would attack with your skull, not helmet.

Lashers are being listed as Bowdwarves in game now.

Edit: Wait, they're swordsdwarves. And halberds are using the whip skill, that may be intentional. Therapist was listing them as bowdwarves.

Edit2: Annnd pikemen are being listed as halberdiers?

And are being listed as lashers on therapist. I have no idea what's goin on.
It's some therapist error, everything shows fine in the game.

So does the keeper crash happen in every embark, or does it only happen sometimes?

Because the keeper's haven't come to trade yet and I'd like to keep this embark if possible.
I think that crash was related to a fairly unstable new beekeeping mechanic. If you don't give races some jobs and still give reactions with the products, they work fine. However not adding the beekeeping job and adding wax/mead reaction is almost surely a crash.

I think I've fixed this one. At least I playtested a few worlds and they were fine. The easiest way to test was to find a large city with shops and enter the shops area. If everything is fine with the trading goods, you can browse shops normally, otherwise it would crash.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 11:41:58 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So does the keeper crash happen in every embark, or does it only happen sometimes?

Because the keeper's haven't come to trade yet and I'd like to keep this embark if possible.
I'm playing 3.24 and have had two keeper caravans without a crash, I guess if they don't bring the beekeeping items then it won't crash.  Could try and get them to go hostile on you so they won't bring any caravans if it was a problem.

spriksprak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

bit of a dude
what does this even mean

he was making a steel colossus that could wield a sturgeon as a hammer...that surely deserves some points!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

As I said it should be fixed. I've tested a few worlds and they bring wax crafts and mead now without problems.
I'm playing 3.24 and have had two keeper caravans without a crash, I guess if they don't bring the beekeeping items then it won't crash.  Could try and get them to go hostile on you so they won't bring any caravans if it was a problem.

P.S. Oh wait, not 3.24b? Nevermind then.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Okay, I am working on alchemy and additional decorative stuff. Like gem flowers and tapestries (new "Artificer's workshop").
Also I've renamed the rock grinder into "Stonecutter's workshop", and now you can have all kinds of stone weapons (stone axes, mauls and daggers, anyone?).
I've made a new "bonemold" material (if you have Morrowind flashbacks... you are right).

Now I need some help. I am translating the orcish into japanese. However anyone who ever worked with language files knows that it's a huge job.

So here is a request for Genesis players who have some dedication.

There's a japanese/english dictionary: http://jisho.org/

Please pick a letter from the Orcish file (better from the end since I am working from the beginning, and announce it) and translate words starting with that letter into "japanese" transcriptions using that. Don't forget to check the "Kana as romaji" checkbox to get the transcriptions for japanese words.

Now please don't immediately pick the words which are transliterations (they are usually the first ones and sound like english words and have no hieroglyph).

I've already translated words starting from A and B. If you have some time, please help :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Goncyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The miners (praise them!) dug all Winter to prepare the new entry hall and seal off the old, simple staircase where we first struck the earth. Summer brought an 18-strong werewolf invasion followed immediately by two squads of ilithid ambushers. We didn't have time to set the traps and connect the outer draw-bridge in time, so we shut our selves into the mountain using the inner draw-bridge. We are now alive and have water thanks to Torgan's advice about underground grazing and making cisterns. We can survive shut off from the world indefinitely, but what will our merchant friends think of us? Will we ever be able to lower the gates and carry our goods to the depot again?

On a less in-character note, I'm a little frustrated with the difficulty of training up an effective militia in this version. My guys get completely wrecked by most invaders at even odds, even fully armored in exceptional steel + assorted hoods, cloaks, trousers, socks, and mittens. I'm guessing this is because their skills are too low. I seem to remember when the new military was first released, your dwarves would reach high skills in about two years just from a training schedule. Now that is definitely not the case. Most are still Novices.

I started working on Weight Sets and Training Dummies. Is this the solution in Genesis to being unable to fight effectively? How do you guys manage them so that only your militia uses them instead of any old dwarf who happened to immigrate with some military skills (choosing individual squad members by profile seems awfully tedious when you have 80+ dwarfs)? I am really enjoying the mod, but I'm not happy with isolationism as a defense. I want my militia to be able to fight and kill like the heroic dwarfs they are!

Blackdutchie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have found a new use for schroom dwarves.
Apparently, they are nearly blind. This makes them ideal for situations where you're trying to get a wall up that's inaccesible z-level wise by enemies, but your dorfs keep getting scared off because of a skeletal capybara.
You have done well, schroom dwarf!
Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Flying Carcass
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
The first lesson taught by DF is patience.
The second: Madness.
The third: Magma, properly applied, solves all problems.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

Also I've renamed the rock grinder into "Stonecutter's workshop", and now you can have all kinds of stone weapons (stone axes, mauls and daggers, anyone?).
Yay, stone mauls for our trapridors! Badgers go splat!
Also check the tile for Hornblende which I mentioned earlier, it was indistinguishable from gabbro.

I might find some time for J-translating later but not today.

On a less in-character note, I'm a little frustrated with the difficulty of training up an effective militia in this version. My guys get completely wrecked by most invaders at even odds, even fully armored in exceptional steel + assorted hoods, cloaks, trousers, socks, and mittens. I'm guessing this is because their skills are too low.
Yup, it takes loads of years to train people, I usually rely on 3-3-3 skill or 5-5-5 skill migrants.
You must have 4 weapon traps, or 50 cage traps, to have a proper defense. 30 dorfs is no match for 3 enemy squads who also brought 3 squads of WAR LIONS to clog up your traps. Toady has hardcoded how slow the barracks training/sparring is, and I have tried to address it with
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Which Deon approved. Many people do danger rooms and such to give xp to their militia.

Saetar: I guess a glacier, being all ice and snow, is hardcoded to never have any plantlife. All the tags seem to be in order.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 12:50:33 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wonder why, this plant doesn't appear.
Ever.
On 30 glacier biomes.
Odd, much?

plant_botany_tree_other

[OBJECT:PLANT]

[PLANT:TREE_ARCTIC_SPUR]
   [NAME:arctic spur][NAME_PLURAL:arctic spurs][ADJ:arctic spur]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
   [BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:WOOD:IRONWOOD_TEMPLATE]
      [MATERIAL_VALUE:2][VALUE:2]
      [STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:arctic spur]
      [STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:arctic spur]
      [STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:AUBURN]
      [PREFIX:NONE]
      [DISPLAY_COLOR:7:0:1]
   [TREE:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:WOOD]
   [TREE_TILE:5]
   [DEAD_TREE_TILE:5]
   [PREFSTRING:extreme adaptability]
   [DRY][WET]
   [BIOME:TUNDRA][BIOME:GLACIER]
   [FREQUENCY:80]
   [SAPLING]
   [SOLID_DENSITY:700]
   [TREE_COLOR:6:3:1]
   [DEAD_TREE_COLOR:6:4:0]
   [SAPLING_COLOR:7:0:1]
   [DEAD_SAPLING_COLOR:0:0:1]
"Dug too deep...What the creep! What the hell is that?? Oh WHY'S IT COMING STRAIGHT AT US! Oh Urist IT'S THAT CAT . . " Magma bells outtake.    "Again, THIS HAS BEEN AGREED BETWEEN 2 RPers! EILWOOD DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZER I REPEAT DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZOR!"  I'm Eilwood.  :3  Nice to meet you too.  "BAAAAAAH"

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

I noticed that dwarves don't have plants available in the phoebus version.
Is this intended?

Snip

I do believe that trees need soil to grow. :)
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

I noticed that dwarves don't have plants available in the phoebus version. Is this intended?
Of course not intended, all three versions should be the same except "which graphics tiles". Perhaps you rolled a world that has no caves1 and thus no cave plants for dwarves. Or they have only one or two. Roll a few more to check.

Edit: here's a soil-pasture-cave where I made a new bath pool... then the ice mephit played a trick! (good promo shot for Genesis Ironhand?)
(The "S" and "V" are muddy sapling, muddy dead shrub.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jeoshua, check the in-Genesis finnish language file -- it has my commentary on some words, and "d-name" indicating which are dwarven first names!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 02:24:07 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile

I've already translated words starting from A and B. If you have some time, please help :).

Since nobody has claimed any other words, I guess I'll do J,K,L ... since that's what my name starts with

I'd add, make sure you alphabetize the entire file first beforehand, that way you can actually see ALL the words in your sections.

So yeah I'm trying to translate "Jack".  honestly I'm not sure what sense this word is meant in but I know that:

Jakku

Is not the right translation.  That's just a japanese person trying to SAY "jack".

This, however, IS the right word, I think:

manriki
 - vise; jack; capstan

Good example of something to be aware of.  Not all words translate right.  For example:

Keg: tsunodaru    - two-handled keg

instead I used

Barrell: taru - Barrel for sake
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 02:15:36 pm by Jeoshua »
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Thank you, Jeoshua :).

Yeah, you have to be careful with some meaning.

Why are shrubs/saplings shown up as S/V? I haven't seen it before.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Goncyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

student, can embark with military teacher.
So, if I understand you right, your strategy is to embark with a Proficient Teacher (+ some other decent military skills?), and then have him teach all your other recruits so it goes faster? Do the training dummies and weight sets help significantly or should I not focus on them as much? Thanks for the advice. I like a good military. Hopefully it is possible to get there before Toady gets around to tweaking it again.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

student, can embark with military teacher.
So, if I understand you right, your strategy is to embark with a Proficient Teacher (+ some other decent military skills?), and then have him teach all your other recruits so it goes faster? Do the training dummies and weight sets help significantly or should I not focus on them as much? Thanks for the advice. I like a good military. Hopefully it is possible to get there before Toady gets around to tweaking it again.
That's not my strategy, i embark with two smith-armorer lasses, no teaching skill, two have compentent fighter(counterattacker). Bring pick, axe, two daggers. I don't use the skill-training workshops.

Early game it is a waste of time to do training; perhaps at 30 dorfs 10 of them can train full-time. I just made the student skill go up faster, because mil-training is sloooow. But it's fun to put 4 lowbies to hunting and see how my painreceptors tunings are doing on the poor fuzzy orangutans. Oh and I enabled silver,brass,zinc bolts for the worlds.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 04:14:19 pm by TomiTapio »
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 642