Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1230848 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: ۩۩۩ ஃ Genesis Mod ஃ ۩۩۩ [ϟ 3.24 ϟ] - demons are back
« Reply #6165 on: April 06, 2011, 10:50:15 pm »

Blood isn't really a liquid in the 7/7 sense, but it is a liquid in the "Oh look, I'm gonna step in the forgotten beast blood. Wait, my feet are burning off. Whatever, guess I'll just go to the hospital." tracking it all the while.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

rainekage

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no ASCII designation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6166 on: April 06, 2011, 11:13:20 pm »

Blood isn't really a liquid in the 7/7 sense, but it is a liquid in the "Oh look, I'm gonna step in the forgotten beast blood. Wait, my feet are burning off. Whatever, guess I'll just go to the hospital." tracking it all the while.

Yeah, if I recall, the "OH GOD EVERYTHING IS BLOOD" problem at the beginning of this version (as opposed to 40d), was due to blood being labeled a liquid, and then it ended up just about everywhere.

A pressurized blood cannon built into a mountainside would be awesome, though.

Way back when I was a frequent poster before, I remember complaining about the sheer lack of dusk elves in my world -  namely, zero.  Deon didn't have this problem, probably because at the time I was making super high-volcanism worlds.

Now, after maybe a dozen worldgens, and this most recent one a large-sized world with many civs, I've noticed that for every, say, four to six dwarven, keeper, orc, sylvan elf, etc civs, there is only one or two dusk elf, and one or two nord.  In this world, for example:
14 kobolds
13 dwarf
13 scavengers (I didn't even know about these guys - do they siege?)
11 orcs
10 werewolf
10 keeper
10 demon
9 sylvan
8 snakemen
7 ezrakim (not sure why, militarily they're the strongest >> - probably biome restriction)
6 goblin
5 centaur
3 illithid
2 dusk elf
1 nord.

Illithids vary greatly, they either have a million or one or two, but dusk elves and nords have consistently poor civ numbers.  With nords, I presume it's due to their restriction to tundra, glacier, or taiga.  While they only have to share with werewolves, I guess it's inhospitable enough to keep their numbers tiny.

Dusk elves, though... Why? They do have to compete with about half the other races for space, but are they just poor warriors in general?  I don't know about Tomi's SUPERWOOD, but I'd think they'd have an okay chance against keepers, being weaker, but more agile.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6167 on: April 06, 2011, 11:29:47 pm »

Not sure about dusk elves, but nords live on frickin glaciers. With the whole new "starvation during worldgen" thing, they're not really going to be able to survive because the main food source is farming. What do those guys live on again?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6168 on: April 07, 2011, 01:57:08 am »

Also I believe this may be known but it appears that when you have a dwarf with an infection in the hospital with no soap on hand, and then later make soap, no one re-queues to then clean the dwarf. Apparently you have to trigger a cave in? Strange workaround.
I'm pretty sure that once a wound is infected there's no way to get rid of the infection.  Cleaning an injured dwarf with soap and clean water should minimise/eliminate the chance of the wound getting infected.  On the plus side I've found it pretty rare to lose dwarves to infection, even when it says they have it's sometimes because they're already bleeding to death or have other injuries.

Within one year I've been jammy and had a weaponsmith mood so he's able to crank out weapons of awesome, and my obsidian dwarf proficient armoursmith that I embarked with has already trained up to legendary after making cobalt armour.  Dwarf caravan turned up loaded with red/black/normal steel and just had my eight dwarf military carve through a 20 werewolf siege.  Now if I can just bring down the two flying void masters I can gather up the remains of the ezrakim caravan that burned to death in a grass fire (started by illithids? not sure how it began).

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #6169 on: April 07, 2011, 03:05:21 am »

Back when non-flesh forgotten beasts were unkillable.. a cave-in was the only force capable of slaying them.

Duskies have 50 people max per site. That probably hurt them a lot. But that tag is no longer an absolute cap, more like a suggestion when to split into a new site.
Perhaps giving Nords [USE_ANY_PET_RACE] will help them. Also I'd reduce total number of weres in the world, perhaps with [MAX_POP_NUMBER:2000] (was 7000).

I've found that if there are plants that grow in the biome a civ is in, that's what they'll plant.  So when the random plant generator gave me "frost peaches", they grew those in tundras.  Maybe one could make "ice plants" and give them a frequency of 1 or 0... if they're edible, I bet Nord hamlets would grow them.
I think frequency's range is 0-100. default 50 (common). I wouldn't make new magical glacier plants, but maybe one or two tundra... well it is supposed be crap farming a tundra.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 07:02:40 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6170 on: April 07, 2011, 06:11:20 am »

Not sure about dusk elves, but nords live on frickin glaciers. With the whole new "starvation during worldgen" thing, they're not really going to be able to survive because the main food source is farming. What do those guys live on again?

I've found that if there are plants that grow in the biome a civ is in, that's what they'll plant.  So when the random plant generator gave me "frost peaches", they grew those in tundras.  Maybe one could make "ice plants" and give them a frequency of 1 or 0... if they're edible, I bet Nord hamlets would grow them.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 06:30:52 am by Jeoshua »
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Taren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6171 on: April 07, 2011, 07:13:25 am »

Firstly great mod and thank you for all the hard work in the graphics and the gameplay.

I am also getting crashes with keepers, though I am sure you are aware of it by now. I wanted to post to add my report so you know it is related to keepers and not other fortress endeavors, as so far the only crashes I get are to do with keepers. The last crash was nasty as I'd done much development, I am wondering if there is a way around the crash or if I'll need to abandon for now?

In a relatively new 40 people fort but well set up internally, here are the last few entries of my game log:

Code: [Select]

The Halberdier punches The Marksdwarf in the left foot with her right hand, lightly tapping the target!
The Marksdwarf attacks The Halberdier but She jumps away!
The Halberdier punches The Marksdwarf in the left upper leg with her left hand, lightly tapping the target!
The Marksdwarf attacks The Halberdier but She jumps away!
The Halberdier punches The Marksdwarf in the left hand with her left hand, lightly tapping the target!
The Marksdwarf misses The Halberdier!
The Halberdier punches The Marksdwarf in the right foot with her right hand, lightly tapping the target!
The Halberdier punches The Marksdwarf in the right lower arm with her left hand, lightly tapping the target!
The Halberdier attacks The Marksdwarf but She rolls away!
Sodel Ushatgutid has created a masterpiece!
The Marksdwarf stands up.
The Halberdier attacks The Marksdwarf but She jumps away!
The Halberdier attacks The Marksdwarf but She jumps away!
Olon Lertetholtar has created a masterpiece!
Lor Regidrom has grown to become a Pig.
A ezrakim caravan from Ohaillexati has arrived.
Kikrost Rulerush, Weaponsmith cancels Forge steel breastplate: Needs 3 steel bars.
Kikrost Rulerush, Weaponsmith cancels Forge steel mail shirt: Needs 2 steel bars.
Kikrost Rulerush, Weaponsmith cancels Forge steel gauntlet: Needs steel bars.
x2
Kikrost Rulerush, Weaponsmith cancels Forge steel shield: Needs steel bars.
x2
Olon Lertetholtar has created a masterpiece!
Thief!  Protect the hoard from skulking filth!
Tekkud Ummelbil, Woodcutter cancels Fell Tree: Interrupted by Kobold Thief.
Ingish Rithtangak, Hauler cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Kobold Thief.
Tekkud Ummelbil, Woodcutter cancels Sleep: Interrupted by Kobold Thief.
Ingish Rithtangak, Hauler cancels Drink: Interrupted by Kobold Thief.
A keeper caravan from Bladelismust has arrived.

Thanks for reading.

-edit

Other than that the only feedback I wanted to give was:

Packs of early Giant Boars are really nasty, if they stay that way in vanilla might you be able to tone them down a bit?

An early entwife made a beeline straight for my embark site, overturned a wagon and drunk all the booze :D, not sure if that is vanilla related or not but I wanted to report it, as I had no way of saving that start.

I love the new farming goods and civs especially, there is one nagging concern from vanilla (not mod related), plump helmets are sometimes unavailable, in this case what would you suggest I set up if I am limited to underground farming? It would be a nice touch I think to add in another lesser version of the plump helmet which grew all year round underground, if it doesn't already exist.

Anyway thanks again.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 07:18:06 am by Taren »

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6172 on: April 07, 2011, 07:43:48 am »

I usually embark with a grower/brewer/herbalist dwarf.  I either flood a mined area to create mud and build my farm plots or just wall off a stretch of cavern floor, when he's not planting stuff I set him to gather plants which usually finds a few plump helmets.  Plus some of the rare underground plants like blood boils, crystal cane, stoneroots, glow berries and purple stalks which I don't think you can import?  They are all fairly valuable compared to the vanilla crops and grow all year round too.  Really easy skill to train up anyhow, and shroom dwarfs have increased skill rate for learning it.  I didn't realise plump helmets weren't available to all dwarf civs though, thought they were standard food.

Daff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6173 on: April 07, 2011, 07:48:27 am »

Firstly great mod and thank you for all the hard work in the graphics and the gameplay.

I am also getting crashes with keepers, though I am sure you are aware of it by now. I wanted to post to add my report so you know it is related to keepers and not other fortress endeavors, as so far the only crashes I get are to do with keepers. The last crash was nasty as I'd done much development, I am wondering if there is a way around the crash or if I'll need to abandon for now?

Looks like the same thing that's happening to me, would really like some way to fix this without losing the fort if possible.

Here's my few last gamelog lines if someone wants to read 'em.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And a link to the save.
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6174 on: April 07, 2011, 09:48:28 am »

I usually embark with a grower/brewer/herbalist dwarf.  I either flood a mined area to create mud and build my farm plots or just wall off a stretch of cavern floor, when he's not planting stuff I set him to gather plants which usually finds a few plump helmets.  Plus some of the rare underground plants like blood boils, crystal cane, stoneroots, glow berries and purple stalks which I don't think you can import?  They are all fairly valuable compared to the vanilla crops and grow all year round too.  Really easy skill to train up anyhow, and shroom dwarfs have increased skill rate for learning it.  I didn't realise plump helmets weren't available to all dwarf civs though, thought they were standard food.
You do know you can use soil instead of mud, right?

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6175 on: April 07, 2011, 09:53:39 am »

I just have a question.

What happened to the power of maces? In previous versions, I could easily smash someones (unarmoured) upper body into a chunky stew but now I can only bruise it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:56:33 am by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6176 on: April 07, 2011, 10:33:11 am »

I think I know what caused the crash... They had bee hives as tools and "make mead" reaction, yet no beekeeping profession allowed. Damn, I guess you have to use DFusion to insert those into your save files, or regen.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6177 on: April 07, 2011, 11:26:15 am »

A (possibly related) problem I have had with beekeepers is that when sleeping they ar just a black sillhowette on a light brown background, although this is more likely related to Ironhand.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6178 on: April 07, 2011, 11:37:34 am »

*Facepalm* With the addition of a "beekeeper" as a new profession I forgot to add graphics for them... I'll release a patch soon :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Goncyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6179 on: April 07, 2011, 12:15:13 pm »

Most animals leave hair after being butchered that can be spun into thread at a farmer's workshop so you could try that if you've got any

After a couple apparently hairless animals were sacrificed to the name of science, some migrants arrived with a yak, which was promptly slaughtered and produced enough hair for thousands of sutures. Interestingly, the Farmer's Workshop went to (CLT) with only the yak hair in it, and spinning it took forever.

After that false start, I figured out from the wiki's Armor article how to more effectively suit up my dwarves, and after the disastrous demon battle of 252, the newly armored militia fought off two squads of ilithids in the summer of 253. I even built a big stone wall around my pastures, but one of the ilithids could apparently fly and throw fire, so that ended up not mattering so much and my animals all died again. Our fortress grows stronger, though! I was afraid we would wither and die in the face of further aggression. Now, to design better defenses... and maybe find the caverns so we can figure out how to graze our animals safely...
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 642