Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26

Author Topic: Underground exploration! First Post Updated  (Read 39882 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Underground exploration!
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2010, 11:23:16 pm »

You guys are lucky.  I never get past the second layer.

Has anyone found a forgotten beast down there?  I really want to get some crazy poisons and stuff.
Shoes...

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2010, 11:29:05 pm »

I had to go down into a cave to find a dragon for my quest, I got lost and have been wandering for the last hour.  What are the chances I will ever manage to escape...

If you haven't been making a map, virtually zero. Might as well just push downward and go down in a blaze of glory/a pitiful whimper of starvation.

I don't want to lose my epic dwarf :| He has over 400 notable kills and 300 others... :(
Yes but then the three children hanging off her will catch fire.
And that's stopped people before...?

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2010, 11:32:24 pm »

I didn't find any Forgotten beasts, sadly enough. =/

I only ran into a Jabberer, some flesh balls, and other weird junk.
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2010, 11:42:00 pm »

I had to go down into a cave to find a dragon for my quest, I got lost and have been wandering for the last hour.  What are the chances I will ever manage to escape...

If you haven't been making a map, virtually zero. Might as well just push downward and go down in a blaze of glory/a pitiful whimper of starvation.

I don't want to lose my epic dwarf :| He has over 400 notable kills and 300 others... :(

Well, every adventurer has to come to an end eventually. What better way to top off his legacy than an assault on the pits of Hell itself?
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2010, 11:43:18 pm »

Only time I've managed to get below the first layer or so cave-spelunking was when I jumped my adamantine-dwarf into a magma pool. Probably fell... well, at least 30 z-levels, into a magma sea. Spent probably an hour after that swimming around -- had to mod in magma-vision to and fire immunity just to keep spam down (My mini-colossi don't die to magma, but constantly alt-moving and spacing through the 'you are immersed in lava' or whatever that is is bloody annoying.) -- checking things out. Saw two adamantine chutes, but couldn't manage to get into 'em. Eventually let the poor bugger starve. Just couldn't find a way out of the sea...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2010, 12:07:00 am »

Well, every adventurer has to come to an end eventually. What better way to top off his legacy than an assault on the pits of Hell itself?

Well, i guess ill do it, im just having a hard time finding ways down now.
Yes but then the three children hanging off her will catch fire.
And that's stopped people before...?

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2010, 12:09:13 am »

Well, i guess ill do it, im just having a hard time finding ways down now.

Yeah, it can take a while. I'm currently a bit stuck too. Just keep looking.
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2010, 12:28:14 am »

I made it pretty close to the bottom.

I recommend having at least adequate swimming skill, and some ambush, dodging, and try to specialize with Fighter/your weapon of choice.

Sometimes, you'll be required to swim under obstacles, where you're 'drowning' to get to your next location.

When it says you've found a downward slope, the screen centers on the slope, so don't stray too far if you want to go down.

Bugbats, Bird elks, and pond grabbers aren't strong. Crundles are only strong in numbers. Plump helmet men aren't deadly.

If you're low on food, I suggest seeking out some friendly tribes. They have free foods.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2010, 12:36:48 am »

I've teamed up with a cave frog woman spearman. so far she hasn't taken a single bit of damage. my lobster is suffering from moderate blood loss and is faint. I dont know if its a good idea to sleep while suffering from moderate blood loss:
Note, i am not bleeding. Also my lobster has an infection from having his shell cracked by a giant at the cave entrance. Adventure mode is fucking awesome now. UPDATE: I got punched critically in the chest by a troglodyte, and have been pale with blood loss forever. After crawling through the caves mortally wounded, slaughtering trogs, I found the Jabberer that killed my Amphibian Woman companion, and killed it, and continued deeper. Then, I shit you not, I recovered from a mortal wound. Honestly.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 12:58:54 am by PoonHat »
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2010, 01:01:10 am »

Hang on here, I wanna get something straight...  Are you people starting fortresses, digging down and then abandoning, or just upping the cave size in worldgen in the hopes that one will pierce into the subterranean caverns?

Also, has anybody been using my survivalist trick?  It was originally devised as a method of getting around in freezing climates, but it should prove useful in this kind of endeavor as well.

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2010, 01:06:28 am »

I've just been finding caves in adventure mode, personally. (Also, my legendary wrestling lobster that lasted for like 3 hrs finally succumbed to an infection gained at the beginning of the cave, after getting punched by a giant.)
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2010, 01:07:21 am »

I'm going into caves.

Every one I've visited leads to the underground.

I'm actually working on a fort now, in an attempt to get a nice little base camp set up for traveling into the deep. Can adventurers make use of medical supplies yet?

What trick would that be?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2010, 01:30:33 am »

Wouldn't really work.  The darkness reclaims the path you have taken if you wander very far from the cave entrance tile.  Bodies rot and get moved.

Had no idea about this.  Explains a lot.  Luckily, I'm pretty good at remembering stuff that I've seen anyway.  The direction-finder still works, so at least you can get back underneath the entrance.

I still can't get farther down that the first big underground layer (the muddy layer we'll call it).  It seems like every time I finally find a lower route, either it's just a dip in the land, or it's full of water.  An amphibious adventurer would have a much easier time.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2010, 01:32:33 am »

I've teamed up with a cave frog woman spearman. so far she hasn't taken a single bit of damage. my lobster is suffering from moderate blood loss and is faint. I dont know if its a good idea to sleep while suffering from moderate blood loss:
Note, i am not bleeding. Also my lobster has an infection from having his shell cracked by a giant at the cave entrance. Adventure mode is fucking awesome now. UPDATE: I got punched critically in the chest by a troglodyte, and have been pale with blood loss forever. After crawling through the caves mortally wounded, slaughtering trogs, I found the Jabberer that killed my Amphibian Woman companion, and killed it, and continued deeper. Then, I shit you not, I recovered from a mortal wound. Honestly.

It was probably a bruised vital organ.  You can survive with bruised lungs, bruised heart, etc.  In fact, even if you get injected with poison that stops your heart entirely, you can keep going.  Stopped lungs, however, will kill you.
Shoes...

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2010, 01:58:19 am »

All of the layers are muddy. Well, the first 3 are.

They just contain different trees in them. Layer four and 5 and.. Lower are different. =D

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26