Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26

Author Topic: Underground exploration! First Post Updated  (Read 39855 times)

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
Underground exploration! First Post Updated
« on: April 03, 2010, 04:20:18 pm »

~Kamudo's Guide to the Underground~

Hey everyone, Kamudo here. Since Underground exploration is pretty popular, I'm going to just rewrite this whole first post to encompass everything people should know. Please note that the following information is a work in progress and is in no way complete. It will be better organized when I have time to work on it.

Basic general things you should know.
The underground is an expansive network of caverns that cover the world. It generally comes in 3 layers, each of which have their own variation of trees, creatures and other things. Below layer 3 is a sea of Magma, that is impassable. Layer 3 also has something in it that allows you to reach even deeper layers.

You cannot fast travel underground.*

*It's possible to travel directly under an above ground site. Whether this is a bug, or what, it's an effective way to escape to the surface, regardless of how deep you may be.

The only ways to reach the underground is by either digging down with a fortress, or finding a cave entrance. Cave entrances do not always guarantee entry though.
Weapons and skills
Dwarves, Elves and Goblins are all now the same sizes, so if you want to have a fully steeled up Elf, go right ahead. If you're planning on going with Melee weapons, be sure to place some points in the fighter skill class, as it will help you better fight off enemies. Ranged attack is not recommended, with the narrow passages, and the lack of ammo. Be sure to get at least Adequate Swimming, as there are many times you will have to swim to proceed. Save often, and if you need, open task manager and close the game, as broken bones will become infected, and we're unsure if you can treat that.

Slashing weapons (Swords, Axes, etc) Are good for slashing off limbs, and cutting through enemies. They are less effective against armored beasts, and creatures that can't be killed by simply cutting it. (IE Flesh balls will not die from slash damage.)

Smash/crush weapons (Hammers, Maces) are good for breaking bones, and getting through tough opponents. Pretty much what was said above, applies here. As in smashing flesh balls.

Food/Water/sleep/ Possible Healing
It's recommended that you take at least two or three waterskins full of fresh water, as we are unable to be certain if muddy water, blood or pus from infections make you sicker when drinking those things. Food can be obtained from underground tribes, but it's still recommended that you bring a lot of food from the surface, at least 30-50 units, as you may be underground for a long time.

Butchery: The butchery skill is incredibly useful, it allows you to butcher creatures. So, as long as you have a dagger (knapping stones too?), you'll be able to carve up anything you want, as long as it's not sentient.

Sleeping. Sleeping is dangerous, as you can be ambushed by anything while this happens. I suggest looking around the immediate area and making sure no creatures are stalking around, and try to sleep somewhere that's not wide open. As that way, you can have less of a chance of being attacked. Like sleeping in a one tile hallway that is blocked at one end allows the monsters to attack from only one direction. Or, sleep with friendly tribes underground, as they will try to protect you.

You can take cloth and wrap it around your wounded areas. The effectiveness of this is still unknown. Fast traveling will help heal you a bit as well, though it's much much slower. If you pick up a crutch, you will gain the Crutchwalker skill, and it will help your movement speed if you're missing a leg or have it broken. 

Friendly Underground tribes and features.
Tribes are your best friends. They have food, you can recruit them, and they work well as meat shields, and sleeping companions. (Since sleep is difficult.) You can take all of their food, and leather, and they won't get mad at you.

Features. Features are things such as magma pools, downward slopes, and Deep pits.
Avoid magma. Aside from magma creatures, you have worry of dodging into it if you're fighting near it. Deep pits have no use. They're just there in case you're dying and need a quick way to off yourself. Downward ramps are a great way to get down a layer really fast. Good luck finding one though, they're really rare.

Bestiary
The following area will include descriptions of monsters, and how to kill them, and things you should avoid.
Tribes of Animal People:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Monsters:

Musicality!
For us adventurers with a keen imagination. I believe I've found a great song for Cavern travel.
Behold the Darkness

Who I'd like to thank:
Mythos, for providing a lot of tips.
Lucied, for collecting monster information for me.
LukeRM, for healing notes.
Cerion, for point out several things.
Spartan117, Adding entries to the Bestiary
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 03:12:41 pm by Kamudo »
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
Re: Underground exploration!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 05:30:20 pm »

Just stay away from the magma
I had a crundle jump out at me so i dodged into the magma and drowned
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 05:36:30 pm »

Do animal men speak to humans? (and by extension speaking kobolds and dwarves)
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 05:44:51 pm »

I have been down below 60 levels before.  I am not sure what "layer" that equates to.  I suspect it was still layer 2 because of the contents.

Several times I got messages saying I had discovered a tunnel down but I couldn't even find the ramp.

Right now I am trying to find a way UP as I have been reduced to drinking muddy water and eating blood soaked mud to keep from starving.

The only things that I have found that doesn't attack me out right is the plump helmet men.

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 05:56:11 pm »

I've been exploring for quite a while now too, and I think I'm on the second layer. After a while I started trying to get back up, but I quickly realized there was no way in hell I'd EVER find my way back to the surface, and now I'm just trying to get as far down as possible. At the moment I'm swimming along a river trying to find a way down. I haven't found anything that didn't attack me on site.
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 06:01:02 pm »

Animal men do speak human, at least the ones I've found. Like, Serpent-people. Also, if you run into friendly animal people, they have food and leather for the taking. They also are good places to sleep, considering the animal people will protect you while you sleep.

I've been drinking muddy water, human pus and blood.

Crundles suck. They can ambush you. I had to fight off a group of 28 of them, which were all running around and trying to kill me. xD

Plump helmet men don't move. At least not for me. They just sit there. So I killed them.

I'm not sure what Z level I'm not. Just that I'm down pretty far. I wanna go farther down to see crazier stuff.

I'm up to 166 kills. All of which consist of underground things.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 06:04:01 pm »

Been travelling in the caves for about 6 hours... I think i will sooner reach my destination (a town where i will retire) when reach something epic. I think i'm in layer 2 or so... Because there are magma pipes and don't know if i can get any deeper. Also are there natural exits to the surface? Oh and killed GCS
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 06:07:40 pm by darius »

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 06:18:17 pm »

You can drink pus? I need to draw pus from my enemies. Hydra pus, for example.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 06:22:07 pm »

The only exits are cave entrances. But if you're on layer two, you'll have to get up to Layer 1, and somehow find the cave entrance/exit.

Yeah, my adventurer's finger is infected, so I make him drink the pus from it, cause I'm hoping that will help the healing process. He got jumped by more Crundles though, and they bruised him up and broke his nose. I'm making him sleep a ton, hoping it'll heal him enough to continue, since Travel is impossible. >.>

EDIT: I just found a downward passage again. So.. I'm heading to layer three. I'll post what I find in a spoiler thingie, in case people don't wanna read it. ^-^

So far I've found:

I'm concerned.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 06:46:44 pm by Kamudo »

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 06:56:29 pm »

Damn, I can't seem to find my way out of the initial caverns.

Beyond that, the fun begins.
Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 07:02:13 pm »

I found another waterborne critter.

The lower you go down, the creepier shit becomes.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 07:08:03 pm »

Right now I am trying to find a way UP as I have been reduced to drinking muddy water and eating blood soaked mud to keep from starving.

The new version just added more awesomeness to the adventure mode and would offer enough stuff for many, many, 300 esque films.

Imagine it:

A Adventurer ventures into a cave, to win glory and fame; To protect his hearth and home! He ventures into a cave and takes with him just his trusty sword, a battered shield and his armour.

In he ventures into the darkness, sword drawn, his breath gasping.

The cave is vast, the enemies fierce- Yet the brave prevails! Broken on the ground lies the beast, the hero wins the prize! Glory and fame, a great deed to be remembered by countless generations yet to come.

But the cave is vast and dark; Alas! A wrong turn he takes. A Ambush! A fight, a frightened flight, darkness.

Darkness. A tunnel- Is this the way out? And he ventures down, steady down into the darkness, Hope not yet quenched.

He`s going down, steady going down.

He discovers strange places, never seen before by mankind. And conquers them.

He`s going down, steady going down. He sees strange creatures, never seen before by mankind. And kills them.

He`s goind down, steady going down. Darker it becomes with every step, and his hope is waning with the light. Are these caves endless?

He`s going down, steady going down. Water there is to be found; Cold pools, sparkling in the dim, outherwordly light. Strange mushrooms growing everywhere, providing him with food.

He`s going down, steady going down. Pools get scarce, mushrooms don`t grow anymore.

So he starts to drink the blood of his foes and to eat their twisted bodies, cold flesh and warm blood to nourish him-

He`s going down, steady going down. Strange creatures are living here! No blood is in their veins, no flesh on their ribs. So he goes hungry, his hate sustaining him. Cruel Fate, evil fate!

He`s going down, steady going down. He`s tired, and hungry and thirsty! But to rest would mean to never wake up again, so he goes on.

He`s going down, steady going down. Magma all around him, beasts all around him, death all around him. Wounded he is, the brave hero, his sinews only held together by anger. Anger on the world, on the gods, on his fate, on them, lurking in the shadows, mocking him.

He`s going down, steady going down. His sanity he lost somewhere along the way, he hears voices- They urge him on. They mock him. They tempt him. They call him. Are they real? He knows it not. Yet, what else could he do?

He`s going down, steady going down. Creatures there are! Which ones are real? Which ones only nightmares, made up by his drowsy mind? Or are those creatures nightmares made real, demons, fiends, worse?

He`s going down, steady going down. He dies, he knows it. Oh fate, how cruel a mistress you are! He kills left, he kills right, his whole existence hellbent on destruction and screaming for death.

He`s not going down anymore. He found the end of his travels; Lying atop of the broken bodies of his enemies. Most glorious death, fame and glory! He`s at ease, finally, a last sweet moment of victory.

A Sound in the darkness; The broken adventurer listens! Behold! Voices, coarse and uncouth, yet familiar! Life! Sweet memories come back! He wants to live! He get`s up, notched sword supporting him, and calls with broken voice, yet no answer is heard only one command:

"Urist, i heard a voice! The lever!"

Perplexed he is, what`s going on? He calls agai- OH GOD HOW IT BURNS.

Well, or something like this.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 07:15:40 pm by Lordinquisitor »

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 07:11:38 pm »

That story was epic. O: Most entertaining.

Word of Warning.

Holy shit.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 07:42:49 pm by Kamudo »

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 07:58:10 pm »

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 08:01:01 pm »

Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26