Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 782 783 [784] 785 786 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116038 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11745 on: May 21, 2011, 09:16:51 am »

3. How many layers of armour we can don on a dwarf - does it actually gives better protection?

Well... yes. More armour is more protection. But it slows them down - which leads to them taking more hits and hitting less often, so...
A good mix is a mail shirt, a breastplat and armour for the limbs and head. A cloak to look swanky is always good too.

The amount of armour a dwarf can wear is limited by their strength; a super-strong dwarf could wear a couple of breastplates and move at a respectable rate, while a softie couldn't.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

elvenspirit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11746 on: May 21, 2011, 09:30:37 am »

Caravans cannot get to my fortress and sit 3 z levels above my fortress entrance, how do i convince them to join the party?
Don't mind the name, i stopped using names i liked on forums a long time ago so people wouldn't steal them.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11747 on: May 21, 2011, 09:40:45 am »

Press Shift-D from the main menu to display the Depot access mode - it will show you if your Depot is accessible to traders or not, they need a 3x3 clear path all the way. Trees and boulders will get in the way.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11748 on: May 21, 2011, 09:44:36 am »

Also, I deconstructed some wooden planks which were above water and which collapsed onto an underwater room, the roof held except in 3 places. The roof is gone, with water above it but the room isn't flooding, and the floor under said hole is now showing up as "Unknown"..... i've broken the universe.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 09:46:52 am by hjd_uk »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11749 on: May 21, 2011, 10:54:28 am »

Press Shift-D from the main menu to display the Depot access mode - it will show you if your Depot is accessible to traders or not, they need a 3x3 clear path all the way. Trees and boulders will get in the way.

That's half-true.  Shift-D shows where a clear 3-wide path exists, just in case the traders have any wagons -- but traders never actually bring wagons in the current version.  So they only need a 1-wide path.

Nevertheless, if Shift-D shows only a single reachable map-edge tile, then that's where the traders will pop, even if there are other 1-wide paths they could take.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11750 on: May 21, 2011, 11:09:38 am »

The amount of armour a dwarf can wear is limited by their strength; a super-strong dwarf could wear a couple of breastplates and move at a respectable rate, while a softie couldn't.
Actually, only one piece of shaped armor can go on a body part. So, only one breastplate.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11751 on: May 21, 2011, 12:00:17 pm »

Actually, only one piece of shaped armor can go on a body part. So, only one breastplate.

My mistake. I didn't know the shaped ones were limited. Danke for the correction.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11752 on: May 21, 2011, 12:08:07 pm »

Good basic outfit is a mail shirt, breastplate, robe, helm,cap, hood, cloak, greaves, highboots, gauntlet, and mittens. Bad thing the finished goods part of the uniform will wear out in time.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11753 on: May 21, 2011, 12:11:27 pm »

That's half-true.  Shift-D shows where a clear 3-wide path exists, just in case the traders have any wagons -- but traders never actually bring wagons in the current version.  So they only need a 1-wide path.

Nevertheless, if Shift-D shows only a single reachable map-edge tile, then that's where the traders will pop, even if there are other 1-wide paths they could take.

And it's strange they are blocked - traders in current version, at least elves, are able to go through hatches, doors, ramps, stairs and one tile wide bridges. They can go everywhere goblins can go.

elvenspirit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11754 on: May 21, 2011, 12:29:35 pm »

Well i started cutting a 3x3 path to where the wagon (well i was assuming i would see a wagon when i was cutting) always comes... I almost had it finished and out popped an elven caravan, The only thing i can figure is while i was cutting a path was that one of the bloody tree huggers went berserk (actually the camel did, the other pack animal and an elf went emo and the last started dancing in the moonlight naked to his goddess)  and an elven tantrum spiral proceeded to kill them all off... also there was a very ticked off one humped camel wandering around trying to eat my dwarves.

There's going to be a siege isn't there?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:33:23 pm by elvenspirit »
Don't mind the name, i stopped using names i liked on forums a long time ago so people wouldn't steal them.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11755 on: May 21, 2011, 01:56:23 pm »

Well i started cutting a 3x3 path to where the wagon (well i was assuming i would see a wagon when i was cutting) always comes... I almost had it finished and out popped an elven caravan, The only thing i can figure is while i was cutting a path was that one of the bloody tree huggers went berserk (actually the camel did, the other pack animal and an elf went emo and the last started dancing in the moonlight naked to his goddess)  and an elven tantrum spiral proceeded to kill them all off... also there was a very ticked off one humped camel wandering around trying to eat my dwarves.

There's going to be a siege isn't there?

Not sure, but I'd start putting tons of traps around your fort's entrance(s) and getting your military geared up well just in case. Also, you may want to smooth down any boulders along with cutting down trees then create a 3-tile wide road leading to your depot to make it easier for traders to get there. This will prevent trees from growing over this route and I've noticed it tends to be a magnet for merchant traffic in my games. It also increases the value of your fort. Just remember that even if the freakin' beardless tree-huggers don't siege you over a lost caravan, they may attack due to the clear-cutting.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11756 on: May 21, 2011, 03:13:33 pm »

hello everyone,

Having found this game only a week ago, and loving it (having lots of FUN^^), I still have ome little questions I don't seem to see answered.

1. how come my embark screen only shows a little amount of data where all the screens and videos I see have far more information when choosing the site.

2. the research for suitable site lacks "trees", and doesn't seem to actually be searching flux stones even when asked.

3. How come my sheep are never sheered even with someone having only that job? Same applies to hunting, he never sets out.

Anyway, still trying to figure out how to make use of flood gates with natural water/lava without killing my miner in the process ^^
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11757 on: May 21, 2011, 03:22:37 pm »

1. how come my embark screen only shows a little amount of data where all the screens and videos I see have far more information when choosing the site.

Recent versions no longer show every layer as was done in the past.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11758 on: May 21, 2011, 03:22:53 pm »

1. Those screens you see are from older versions, which showed more info about embark sites.

2. You can see if a site has trees in the biome information screen (The same one where it shows shallow/deep metal(s), clay and other stuff). Flux doesn't show up on the biome info screen, but the site finder is correct. If it says a spot has flux, it has flux.

3. You have to have the sheering/hunting labor enabled, through the [v]->[p]->[l] screen.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11759 on: May 21, 2011, 03:36:09 pm »

1) Have you tried hitting tab to go through all the "pages" on the embark screen? Also, like Shonus said above, the newer versions don't show much detail for your soil layers except flux/deep-shallow metals/deep-shallow soild and aquifers.

2) I've noticed that the Find feature is buggy as hell. You'd probably just be better off taking the time to dig around your world and pick out a site meeting your requirements. I'd suggest finding a spot that's got at least a brook, a good amount of wood and vegetation, as well as a mountain-side for defense/dwarfiness. Also, make sure at least one of you biomes doesn't have an aquifer (check using the F1-F# buttons to make sure), or you're in for FUN.

3) Your shearers and hunters might be on break. I've also noticed that hunters won't do their jobs if you don't have ammo for them to use. Try setting one of your craft shops to make some wood/bone bolts and make sure to go to the military screen and set you hunters up with the right ammo. (Should be already done by default, but it never hurts to check.)
Also, as for shearers and milkers... Sometimes, they will be doing there jobs and taking animals to the workshop to be shorn/milked. But if your herd animals are set to a certain pasture and the rest of your dwarfs have animal hauling enabled, they will drag the animals out of the workshop causing a tug-of-war situation. Try setting up only your shearers to have animal hauling enabled and see if that makes them get you some wool.
Pages: 1 ... 782 783 [784] 785 786 ... 1178