Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 780 781 [782] 783 784 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116070 times)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11715 on: May 20, 2011, 11:38:00 am »

oh right, neat!

(1) And what would be the purpose of a chest? same?

(2) In the trade depot, I have only 2 items that are left, and no dorf want to stockpile them. 25 xbow bolts, and I have a weapon stockpile with space left. Also, a large pink jade gem... Where this one is stockpiled? I have a gem stockpile ... And what can I do of it once stockpiled?

thanks in advance!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11716 on: May 20, 2011, 11:39:07 am »

oh right, neat!

(2) In the trade depot, I have only 2 items that are left, and no dorf want to stockpile them. 25 xbow bolts, and I have a weapon stockpile with space left. Also, a large pink jade gem... Where this one is stockpiled? I have a gem stockpile ... And what can I do of it once stockpiled?

thanks in advance!
Bolts and other ammo go in ammo stockpiles, and gems go in gem stockpiles.
Stockpiled gems really do nothing other than.. be there for cutting.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11717 on: May 20, 2011, 11:48:03 am »

oh right, neat!

thanks in advance!
Bolts and other ammo go in ammo stockpiles, and gems go in gem stockpiles.
Stockpiled gems really do nothing other than.. be there for cutting.
Large gems currently can't be stored in stockpiles. They are considered finished goods, and that stockpile can't be set to accept/reject gemstone materials. An oversight from Toady One, Praise Be His Name.

Chests are currently pretty useless in rooms. They are meant to store coins, toys, stuff like that, but nobody has any. The only use I know of is in an Hospital, to store splints, crutches, cloths, soap...
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11718 on: May 20, 2011, 12:04:40 pm »

how do I put dwarves in coffins rather than have them decay in random bits on my tomb floor? I have 10 coffins and 2 slain dwarfs. how do I fix that?
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11719 on: May 20, 2011, 12:09:37 pm »

Are the coffins marked as available for burial?
You can check by [ q ]ing over them.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11720 on: May 20, 2011, 12:10:09 pm »

how do I put dwarves in coffins rather than have them decay in random bits on my tomb floor? I have 10 coffins and 2 slain dwarfs. how do I fix that?

Build the coffins.  Enable burial of citizens in the coffins.  Your dwarves will assign the dead to the coffins and move their bodies into the coffins.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11721 on: May 20, 2011, 12:13:17 pm »

my coffins are in the stock pile. he only q option is for the stock pile
I only play legends mode

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11722 on: May 20, 2011, 12:17:39 pm »

my coffins are in the stock pile. he only q option is for the stock pile

Build them somewhere like you would a chair or table. You know that one scene in The Fellowship of the Ring, where they're in the Mines of Moria camping by Balin's Tomb? That's what dwarven burial looks like in DF- a coffin/sarcophagus sitting in the middle of a room (or along a hallway or wherever you feel like dropping it)

Once it is built, you can 'q' over it to toggle citizen and pet burial, and you can also assign it to (living) dwarves.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11723 on: May 20, 2011, 12:21:07 pm »

So do I still designate that spot for corpses?
I only play legends mode

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11724 on: May 20, 2011, 12:27:42 pm »

?
Designate?

You build the coffin using (b-n).
You check the coffin settings using (q) and activate burial using (b).

What designation?
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11725 on: May 20, 2011, 12:43:46 pm »

I see the confusion. The only purpose of a corpse stockpile is to keep your deadfolk in a safe area while you prepare their tombs.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11726 on: May 20, 2011, 12:48:40 pm »

ooohhhh. Makes sense.
I only play legends mode

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11727 on: May 20, 2011, 01:22:15 pm »

Chests are currently pretty useless in rooms. They are meant to store coins, toys, stuff like that, but nobody has any. The only use I know of is in an Hospital, to store splints, crutches, cloths, soap...
Soldiers will use any chests in their bedroom to store spare provisions.  Also, at least in the past dwarves with certain preferences would claim crafts etc; dunno if that's still true in the current version tho.  Possibly only for nobles?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11728 on: May 20, 2011, 01:59:45 pm »

Ahhh no the corpse storage areas are not for burial, they are for storage.

you build a coffin, then you choose to install the coffin just like a table or chair, using the same menu.  I think coffins are "n" to build from the initial build menu.  Once built, then use q to either make it a tomb for one dwarf, or an open coffin for any dwarf.  You can also allow or disallow pets.  Disallowing pets really shouldn't happen, you don't need dwarves tantruming because they trip over the corpse of fido when going to the corpse storage for a butcherable corpse the hunters brought in.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #11729 on: May 20, 2011, 04:06:38 pm »

Do bees sting enemies? If so, does it cause injury? I'd like to throw a bunch of goblins in a pit of bees, if you're wondering.

Heh heh.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!
Pages: 1 ... 780 781 [782] 783 784 ... 1178