Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 750 751 [752] 753 754 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120679 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11265 on: May 06, 2011, 02:00:02 pm »

Oh, but letting invaders in is far more efficient than hauling all their metal yourself.  Think of them as autonomous goblinite delivery vehicles.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
Re: Road Value
« Reply #11266 on: May 06, 2011, 02:31:57 pm »

if you truly do not value your fort safety, i'd say adamantium.
otherwise gold or silver. silver is obtained also by the Galena ore, so it's quite common. (and usually if you have gold veins, there's a lot of them)

I built a new stretch of road with gold and it added around 1500 to the road value, so not hard now to get to 5000.

Thanks.

Smart plan. I like to use adamantine. The good thing about roads is that you can tear them up once the capital conditions are satisfied to reclaim the bars.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11267 on: May 06, 2011, 03:10:51 pm »

I put memorials  to vanquished notable beasts outside my fortress' entrance, to tell invaders "We just killed a gigantic cow made of salt who spit dust that rots your eyes out. You're not getting in here."
Hm, I tried to make engrave a slab about the latest FB but it didn't seem to be possible. And it crashed a few minutes afterwards. :(
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11268 on: May 06, 2011, 06:41:31 pm »

I know that dwarves with hunting enabled will defend himself from random goblins fairly well, but would this behavior also apply to dwarves in an inactive squad assigned crossbows?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11269 on: May 06, 2011, 07:03:44 pm »

I believe that they fire off a bolt or two, then run. This is not first-hand experience, so it could be false.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11270 on: May 06, 2011, 07:07:38 pm »

Why is my weapon trap pale? Did too many goblins walk over it, setting off all 10 bronze serrated discs? How do I reset it? Do they discs disappear after being used?

It's probably covered in blood or some other fluid. DFhacks cleanmap will take care of that, and is a must for any murderous fortress that doesn't want to die a meta-death.

So how are weapon traps reloaded?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11271 on: May 06, 2011, 07:14:49 pm »

Weapon traps that don't include weapons that require ammunition (such as bows or crossbows) can get randomly jammed after triggering, usually with part of a goblin stuck in them.  When that happens a dwarf will need to go out to the trap and un-stick it.  Of course, weapon traps that include weapons that use ammunition will need to be periodically reloaded by a dwarf.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11272 on: May 06, 2011, 07:17:45 pm »

I believe that they fire off a bolt or two, then run. This is not first-hand experience, so it could be false.

This would be ideal really, civilians can rarely outrun anything with combat training anyways.

Edit: I don't really want a population full of hunters, I'm more curious if the act of holding a crossbow makes them behave in a more defensive fasion similar to hunters.  I wouldn't mind having 100 dwarves rushing to pick up a sock if they were willing to fire off a few arrows to get it.  I'll test it out later and post up how it works.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 07:56:20 pm by drkpaladin »

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11273 on: May 06, 2011, 07:45:01 pm »

Hunters will sometimes engage the enemy, firing bolts or running away.

I've had a single hunter who was a very good marksdwarf decimate an elven ambush.  There was barely anything left for my military squad to do by the time they arrived on scene.  On the flip side, I've had hunters get ripped apart by a goblin ambush.

So it's not a reliable defense, and being a hunter is a high risk occupation because it takes them outside the protective walls.  (Make sure you have tombs prepared as well as slabs ready for times where you can't retrieve the hunter's body.)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #11274 on: May 06, 2011, 09:10:29 pm »

What's a good way to find a volcano with flux and iron ore? Volcanoes seem to inherently avoid being near shallow metal and flux stone.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11275 on: May 06, 2011, 09:59:03 pm »

Just generate a world with lots of volcanoes and hope. My current one is a flat volcano on a flat plain. Prospector told me there was ~3.5k hematite, and I've mined almost all of it.

Conflict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11276 on: May 06, 2011, 10:56:53 pm »

I remember being able to click to do a few things. For example, I was able to click to designate mining spots. Now I have to use the enter key to designate. Is it still possible to click with my mouse button to do things?

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11277 on: May 06, 2011, 11:48:13 pm »

You can click to do most things that you can also do with the X designate/select cursor. For example d d to designate mining, then click wherever you like.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11278 on: May 07, 2011, 12:13:31 am »

Alright, how the hell did this shit happen!?

I have a bridge that is sealed off by a drawbridge. It's my forts entrance. I found a snatcher on it that wasn't there when it was originally sealed.

What the hell's happening?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11279 on: May 07, 2011, 12:17:15 am »

Maybe it was there all along, and was only recently revealed?
Pages: 1 ... 750 751 [752] 753 754 ... 1178