Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 749 750 [751] 752 753 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120693 times)

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11250 on: May 06, 2011, 01:55:31 am »

Yeah, it's a reclaim.

There's also several completely blank spaces that just say "Carve memorial"

Is there a program I could use to permanently remove the ghost?

runesmith, you can kill the ghost via runesmith

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Road Value
« Reply #11251 on: May 06, 2011, 03:50:04 am »

Hi all,

I've been building lots of road to try and get to be the capital, but its value seems very low when I check.

I have been building it out of Granite as I have lots and it is presumably durable... Should I get making it out of something more valuable? And if so what?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: Road Value
« Reply #11252 on: May 06, 2011, 04:19:27 am »

Hi all,

I've been building lots of road to try and get to be the capital, but its value seems very low when I check.

I have been building it out of Granite as I have lots and it is presumably durable... Should I get making it out of something more valuable? And if so what?

if you truly do not value your fort safety, i'd say adamantium.
otherwise gold or silver. silver is obtained also by the Galena ore, so it's quite common. (and usually if you have gold veins, there's a lot of them)
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11253 on: May 06, 2011, 05:15:30 am »

Or blocks. More valuable than rough stone, easier to stock near the construction site, and trains your mason's guild.

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Road Value
« Reply #11254 on: May 06, 2011, 05:44:13 am »

if you truly do not value your fort safety, i'd say adamantium.
otherwise gold or silver. silver is obtained also by the Galena ore, so it's quite common. (and usually if you have gold veins, there's a lot of them)

I built a new stretch of road with gold and it added around 1500 to the road value, so not hard now to get to 5000.

Thanks.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11255 on: May 06, 2011, 06:09:46 am »

Okay, small question. One of my dwarves has apparently lost one of her possessions (or claimed some goblin-crap stuck somewher on the map). Now, she spams me with "can't store owned item" messages, which make roughly 50% of my announcements.
Is there a way to FIND where this lost possession may be? I don't want to take drastic action, since this is only slightly annoying and she is a legendary miner (AND a starting seven)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11256 on: May 06, 2011, 06:11:40 am »

Yeah, it's a reclaim.

There's also several completely blank spaces that just say "Carve memorial"

Is there a program I could use to permanently remove the ghost?

runesmith, you can kill the ghost via runesmith
Does Runesmith work with the latest version and if so, where can I find it?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11257 on: May 06, 2011, 06:21:23 am »

Okay, small question. One of my dwarves has apparently lost one of her possessions (or claimed some goblin-crap stuck somewher on the map). Now, she spams me with "can't store owned item" messages, which make roughly 50% of my announcements.
Is there a way to FIND where this lost possession may be? I don't want to take drastic action, since this is only slightly annoying and she is a legendary miner (AND a starting seven)

There are several ways to solve this.

First you can toggle the amount of announcements you get in the "o" screen.
Secondly, see if this miner is trapped somewhere, or cannot reach a part of your fort. Since she is a miner, I would think it's quite likely that she dug herself into a hole. It's also quite common when you put a dwarf into a burrow when the dwarf is trying to store something.
I know of no way to locate that item though.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11258 on: May 06, 2011, 06:41:49 am »

invaders
which is kinda silly. Why would I commemorate invaders? What's next, fight off an ambush, then count how many got away and send a corresponding number of suspiciously brownish t-shirts saying "I came back from invading Ragscorched with a decent amount of limbs and all I got was this crappy t-shirt"? 
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11259 on: May 06, 2011, 06:46:12 am »

I'm already on pretty minimal announcements, and I don't want to loose the kinda important stuff, like  "Urist Mc Nurse cancell give water : Troll rampaging in the hospital".
And she is not stuck. She happily works, eats and party with the rest of the widgets. I'm pretty sure that it's the object she claims which is stuck in a isolated place. I already dug into my "child statcher execution pit", under some of the bridges, and various other places with dead gobbos, but to no avails.
Well, thinking about it, there ARE places I didn't check : I had a few dwarves drown in ponds or freeze in the ice-pit. Perhaps she claimed some of their stuff...
The aquifer-fed ice-pit is too dangerous a place, but I'll dry a few ponds and see if she retrieves an object there. (or I'll simply check the items stuck there, to see if some of it bears her name)

Thanks!

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11260 on: May 06, 2011, 07:46:58 am »

What world gen setting If any dictates the number, size and shape of blue deep metals ? What influenced whether it pierces the mama sea upwards?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11261 on: May 06, 2011, 09:47:19 am »

Does Runesmith work with the latest version and if so, where can I find it?

I use it only for for determining DOBs of animals, but it seems to work normally. I just replaced Memory-ng.xml with renamed Memory.xml from dfhack site.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11262 on: May 06, 2011, 01:43:02 pm »

invaders
which is kinda silly. Why would I commemorate invaders? What's next, fight off an ambush, then count how many got away and send a corresponding number of suspiciously brownish t-shirts saying "I came back from invading Ragscorched with a decent amount of limbs and all I got was this crappy t-shirt"?

I actually use it to make a "Hall of Heroes", where a particularly heroic dwarf gets buried with slabs depicting his victims being disemboweled. Works better with Megabeasts since they are easier to pick out and more of a "notable kill" in their own right.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11263 on: May 06, 2011, 01:56:52 pm »

I put memorials  to vanquished notable beasts outside my fortress' entrance, to tell invaders "We just killed a gigantic cow made of salt who spit dust that rots your eyes out. You're not getting in here."

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11264 on: May 06, 2011, 01:59:10 pm »

If my only weapons-grade metal is copper and importing isn't an option (challenge fort), what should I put in my goblin grinder?

e: Candy is also available, but I'm not allowed to make it into wafers.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 02:01:46 pm by billybobfred »
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,
Pages: 1 ... 749 750 [751] 752 753 ... 1178