Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 752 753 [754] 755 756 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120631 times)

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11295 on: May 07, 2011, 03:29:16 pm »

Has the number of migrants been fixed? I set pop cap at 50 in hope of getting around 70 popultation, and not getting sieges, and I got exactly 50 Dwarfs. I think one of them died or something, because I had 49 after a while, and then I got 1 migrant.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11296 on: May 07, 2011, 03:51:22 pm »

I don't think so. In my fortress, I still got 2 migrant waves AFTER I got over 200.

Perhaps you had a stroke of luck?

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11297 on: May 07, 2011, 05:11:22 pm »

I don't think so. In my fortress, I still got 2 migrant waves AFTER I got over 200.

Perhaps you had a stroke of luck?
It'll take a few seasons (probably till outpost liaison leaves) for them to stop.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11298 on: May 07, 2011, 06:37:45 pm »

Has the number of migrants been fixed? I set pop cap at 50 in hope of getting around 70 popultation, and not getting sieges, and I got exactly 50 Dwarfs. I think one of them died or something, because I had 49 after a while, and then I got 1 migrant.

- Depends on the RNG, your next wave could have easily been a dozen dwarves if the fortress was very wealthy or you weren't losing any dwarves.

- My bet is that the closer you are to the mountain homes for your chosen civ, the less travel time for migrant waves.  If you settle far across the world, the migrants might take a few seasons to arrive, which could lead to a large lag time on "I'm now above the pop cap, stop sending".

kendo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11299 on: May 07, 2011, 07:09:45 pm »

I just got a Artifact platinum halberd, would this be worth using more than standard iron weapons?

I know that platinum is very heavy, but I've never had a halberd before made of it.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11300 on: May 07, 2011, 07:42:41 pm »

Most or all dwarves are too small to wield halberds, I believe. I could be wrong.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11301 on: May 07, 2011, 10:31:39 pm »

If my only weapons-grade metal is copper and importing isn't an option (challenge fort), what should I put in my goblin grinder?

e: Candy is also available, but I'm not allowed to make it into wafers.
This didn't get an answer last time I asked. Anyone?
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11302 on: May 07, 2011, 10:33:35 pm »

I'm not certain what a goblin grinder is, but I would recommend dodge-me traps for an embark with scarce or substandard metal.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11303 on: May 07, 2011, 10:35:28 pm »

A goblin grinder uses hatches, channels, and pressure plates to trick the enemies into walking back and forth over your weapon traps.

I already use a dodge-me trap to get them into the grinder... The embark isn't short on metal, I'm just not allowed any more bars right now.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11304 on: May 07, 2011, 10:38:07 pm »

If they're being forced over the traps constantly, I would suggest hammers or spiked balls.
Since they usually don't kill right away, and don't sever limbs, they rarely clog up traps with corpses or a stray goblin ear.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11305 on: May 07, 2011, 11:45:41 pm »

My countess (barely had the title for a season) was thrown down a large pit to her death by a troglodyte while trying to fetch some logs. The fort has since become a duchy, and the liaison has come and gone. Will there ever be a replacement, or will my mayor be the only one demanding stuff from now on?
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11306 on: May 08, 2011, 01:25:33 am »

Nobles are not replaced.

My only female elk bird is starving on the nest box. Is it safe to let her stay there or will this hatchery idea not work?
Memento Mori

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11307 on: May 08, 2011, 01:35:12 am »

Most or all dwarves are too small to wield halberds, I believe. I could be wrong.

I know that some dwarves can get big enough to wield two-handed swords.  Normally they can't.

Not sure about Halberds.

However, the way to check is to create a uniform that includes a Halberd, then set every dwarf in your fortress into that military uniform and see if anyone runs and grabs the halberd.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11308 on: May 08, 2011, 01:36:48 am »

If my only weapons-grade metal is copper and importing isn't an option (challenge fort), what should I put in my goblin grinder?

e: Candy is also available, but I'm not allowed to make it into wafers.
This didn't get an answer last time I asked. Anyone?

Copper works fine for most things.

Glass giant blades work pretty good too, if you have sand.

I actually normally just use wooden spikes and wooden spiked balls, 5 of each, in three traps in my goblin grinders.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11309 on: May 08, 2011, 01:53:51 am »

Copper is quite dense, warhammers or maces could be a good choice.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?
Pages: 1 ... 752 753 [754] 755 756 ... 1178