Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117485 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10155 on: March 28, 2011, 04:03:16 am »

Any way to stop milita deaths from making civilians insane and violent? 2 forts lost because of this MADNESS.

Give dwarves their own stuff in their own rooms and keep the alcohol and food plentiful, and they tend to stay pretty happy.  Especially if you carve their rooms from rock, then engrave them and put a statue in the middle overlapping everything in their room with a statue garden.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10156 on: March 28, 2011, 07:18:26 am »

Make your military entirely out of migrants and never let them socialize. If they make no friends, nobody will mind them dying.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10157 on: March 28, 2011, 07:38:52 am »

But unfortunately it is possible that only half of them will die.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

HaDeZs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10158 on: March 28, 2011, 08:00:40 am »

Cage traps are OP.  I have about 30 at the entrance to my fort and they work too well especially during sieges apparently =)  My military didn't get any training in sigh....

Anyways, I now have about 9 goblins caged and in an animal stockpile set to goblins and bad creatures and can't figure out what im doing wrong in trying to get their goodies.  I DBD'ed the cages and DB'ed them but its not working.  When I K over them no items are showing.  What am I missing? 

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10159 on: March 28, 2011, 08:18:53 am »

Did you mass-claim the items before you mass-dumped them?
Do you have a garbage dump zone?

HaDeZs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10160 on: March 28, 2011, 08:21:39 am »

I didn't mass claim and yes I have a dump zone.  I went into the item menu and claimed them all manually as well and nothing happened either.  Is the only place I will see them in the item menu?  Nothing comes up when I K or V orver the cages. 

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10161 on: March 28, 2011, 08:24:57 am »

Try building the cages, then going over the mass-claim mass-dump thing again.
The only blace you will see them is the item menu, except for the goblin itself, which should show up in the cage's contents after it is built.

HaDeZs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10162 on: March 28, 2011, 08:28:18 am »

Actually another fun thing that happened was I dug out a large square the Z level below my surface, then channeled the surface area around the perimeter of that mined lower Z level and ended up with a large floating roof.  I thought I would be slick and make an underground tree farm with a roof over it like all the people in the 40D were posting.  Was expecting a cave in and keep the grassy soil layer from the surface level.  sigh.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10163 on: March 28, 2011, 08:41:39 am »

And what happened?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

HaDeZs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10164 on: March 28, 2011, 09:06:16 am »

I had a floating roof 1 tile away from the edges of my lower Z level mined out area. 

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10165 on: March 28, 2011, 10:01:12 am »

I'm really getting into the whole Schedule/Alert thing for the first time. Say I have each squad set to 3 months training, 3 months patrol, 3 months training, 3 months patrol.. will that piss them off? I know they're alright with 24/7 training, but patrol duty seems to give them bad thoughts.

And if it does piss them off, what would be a more dwarf friendly way to make a yearly schedule?

Oh and min. dwarves per squad is set to 6 out of 10.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 10:55:58 am by xordae »

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10166 on: March 28, 2011, 01:25:33 pm »

In my forts I've had dwarves on a two-month training rotation, and noticed that they sometimes whine if I force them on duty for seiges in that third month when they're supposed to be resting. I've never given them patrol duty though - just training and "no orders" so they spend their off-months as civilians. It seems to keep them happy enough, though some of them are occasionally bummed to be released from duty.

Though if their surroundings/rooms are nice enough, you probably won't have to worry about a little grumbling causing trouble.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #10167 on: March 28, 2011, 01:42:23 pm »

Marginally. Barring lucky magma pipes it is usually 50-120 or so levels down. But you can use it down there. 80 steps isn't that far.

I would like to clarify this so no one makes the same mistake I did, 80 steps isn't a far distance but don't expect dwarves walking up and down a 1x1 staircase to go very fast. Leave room for them to walk around one another.

Also, when pumping magma you need to consider your FPS. Make sure you use the better magma pumpstack, turning off temperature as you pump might help as well.

Having dwarves split into squads of 2 is the best way I've found to keep them happy. They don't get as mad when members of other squads die, and being in groups of two promotes sparring which gives them happy thoughts. As far as the patrols go, try it out. If it makes them too unhappy don't do it anymore, there shouldn't be any immediate danger of a tantrum spiral.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

HaDeZs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10168 on: March 28, 2011, 03:32:00 pm »

So I had my military training for the past year and a half, maybe 2 and their skills aren't even close to being usable for combat.  I'm using dwarf therapist to check up on all of their skills so pardon me not knowing proficiency level names but they are maybe at level 1 in their weapons and maybe 3 or so in dodge, fighter, ect.  Anyways, its taking aot longer than I thought.  They were always set at 2-4 less for training than what was in the squad and train 10 months out of the year.   I do notice the lack of teacher skills and organizer thats making training take longer to organize and learn.   What is the usual time it takes to get descently skilled at combat?  I am in the middle of a goblin siege and they destroy my 20 man military with ease.  They even had a hard time taking out a troll and lost 1 to it before going down. 

I think the next step might be to set up a danger room and use the 20 or so captured goblins I have to train up.   I dunno.  Im at a loss.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10169 on: March 28, 2011, 03:42:12 pm »

I think the next step might be to set up a danger room and use the 20 or so captured goblins I have to train up.   I dunno.  Im at a loss.

Yeah, training can be very very slow.

A danger room doesn't use captured gobs, it uses upright spears to train your (ARMORED) dwarves in dodge, fighting, armor use, shield use, and their weapon skill. It's pretty exploity - as in, legendary skills in a week.

Captured gobbos are much less exploity. Give your troops armor and wooden *training* weapons (not just wooden weapons) so that they can whack on the gobs for a long time before killing them, and you'll get a level or two of skill per session (or more depending on how many bad guys each good guy gets to whack on.)

You will also find that once your guys have a decent level of skill, they train a lot faster. At the low levels it takes forever because they're idiots. Once they know stuff, they can teach it to one another better. And once they have a few levels in their weapon they start sparring a lot more, and that's almost as good as whacking at captured bad guys.
Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 1178