Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 675 676 [677] 678 679 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117477 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10140 on: March 27, 2011, 10:22:55 pm »

I sometimes get underground growth without breaching as well, both that and the buildable magma buildings are likely bugs.
Aquifers are not pressurized. If the well itself is on the same level as the aquifer, then yes it would overflow. If it is above the aquifer level it is safe.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10141 on: March 27, 2011, 10:26:23 pm »

Is it possible to make something out of forgotten beast parts if it wasn't an animal? In this case it is salt and I would enjoy being able to carve them into a trophy of some sort.  :P
Memento Mori

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10142 on: March 27, 2011, 10:31:20 pm »

Is it possible to make something out of forgotten beast parts if it wasn't an animal? In this case it is salt and I would enjoy being able to carve them into a trophy of some sort.  :P
Sorry, but unusual FB parts are pretty much useless. :(

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10143 on: March 27, 2011, 10:55:42 pm »

Oh well. I can just pile them in the trophy zone like the skulls.
Memento Mori

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10144 on: March 27, 2011, 11:08:29 pm »

I know that vermin can gnaw through barrels to get at your food -- but can they also gnaw through stone pots?

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10145 on: March 28, 2011, 12:08:32 am »

How do I use creature graphics? I still haven't figured it out since they were split from the tileset. I think I got it working once by fluke, but couldn't remember what files I changed and where.

I like using a slightly different tileset for clearer text, but I hate those blocky dwarf tiles.
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10146 on: March 28, 2011, 12:39:02 am »

I've got a refuse pile full of human and goblin partial skeletons, leftover from various... incidents. I know I can't butcher them because they are sentient, but if I throw them off someplace very high, will they explode into component bones that are usable?

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10147 on: March 28, 2011, 12:48:42 am »

No, falling items do not do, or take, damage, so you can't split a partial skeleton into smaller pieces.  Dropping "visitors" 10-15 z-levels will create many smaller pieces, as long as they are alive.  For partial skeletons, it may take years for them to degrade to a stack of bones.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10148 on: March 28, 2011, 01:18:50 am »

On average, how many z-levels should it take to reach magma? I hear talk of people getting magma forges up and running in the first year, and pumping magma up to the surface, but every embark I have no less than 80 or so z-levels of earth between me and the hot stuff. Do I just have poor luck?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10149 on: March 28, 2011, 01:33:54 am »

Marginally. Barring lucky magma pipes it is usually 50-120 or so levels down. But you can use it down there. 80 steps isn't that far.
Memento Mori

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10150 on: March 28, 2011, 02:00:17 am »

I sometimes get underground growth without breaching as well, both that and the buildable magma buildings are likely bugs.
I have this after breaching caverns in one of previous games in the world (never in first).
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10151 on: March 28, 2011, 02:15:01 am »

How do I use creature graphics? I still haven't figured it out since they were split from the tileset. I think I got it working once by fluke, but couldn't remember what files I changed and where.

I like using a slightly different tileset for clearer text, but I hate those blocky dwarf tiles.

download graphics pack with game, copy your savegame into it and replace save's /raw folder with graphics one.

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10152 on: March 28, 2011, 02:21:31 am »

On average, how many z-levels should it take to reach magma? I hear talk of people getting magma forges up and running in the first year, and pumping magma up to the surface, but every embark I have no less than 80 or so z-levels of earth between me and the hot stuff. Do I just have poor luck?

You can set number of caverns and their height in worldgen. Set max cavern height to something like 5-10 and magma will be 30-50 z-levels from surface.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10153 on: March 28, 2011, 03:17:10 am »

At work I have a weak PC, so I generate my worlds with no caverns at all.  This limits me to surface crops, but gives me access to magma maybe 20 z-levels deep.  Haven't tried with the newest builds to see if there's a big FPS difference, but up until v.22 there was a huge difference for the work machine.

Basically it seems as if magma is located under caverns, always, so if you have caverns, your magma will be farther down.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #10154 on: March 28, 2011, 03:28:25 am »

Any way to stop milita deaths from making civilians insane and violent? 2 forts lost because of this MADNESS.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.
Pages: 1 ... 675 676 [677] 678 679 ... 1178