Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 678 679 [680] 681 682 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117484 times)

Prats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10185 on: March 29, 2011, 01:16:11 am »

Hi guys! 
I just wanna build a tower, so can somebody explain me how to build floor on the 2nd floor (sorry for tautology) - Do I have to designate it from the level above? And the same about the roof.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10186 on: March 29, 2011, 01:29:12 am »

Just build the floor on the z-level above the first floor. To get there, build an up stair or up-down stair on the first level and when it is done go to the z-level above. Build an up-down stair. It will turn green when on the tile over the previous stair, allowing you access to the area where you want to build the floor.
Memento Mori

Prats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10187 on: March 29, 2011, 01:57:25 am »

Just build the floor on the z-level above the first floor. To get there, build an up stair or up-down stair on the first level and when it is done go to the z-level above. Build an up-down stair. It will turn green when on the tile over the previous stair, allowing you access to the area where you want to build the floor.
Thank you for help

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10188 on: March 29, 2011, 06:46:24 am »

How can I make the goblins equip better armor? It's no fun when all of them wear leather, copper with a couple of small iron pieces.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 08:34:29 am by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10189 on: March 29, 2011, 08:10:02 am »

Give them the reaction to make steel.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10190 on: March 29, 2011, 08:22:11 am »

How can I make the goblins equip better armor? It's no fun when all of then wear leather, copper with a couple of small iron pieces.
This should go in the modding forum actually.
But:
Give them the reaction to make steel.
If you need help ask there.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10191 on: March 29, 2011, 08:41:29 am »

How can I make the goblins equip better armor? It's no fun when all of them wear leather, copper with a couple of small iron pieces.

You get iron??  I keep hoping for iron-clad goblins to show up so I can smelt their stuff....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10192 on: March 29, 2011, 10:06:54 am »

Anyone know the relative effectiveness of glass trap components? Like where they fall in the scale of materials for blades and blunt?
Wondering because I had a single row of 10 masterwork green glass disc traps across my entrance that splattered 7 of the 10 ambushing goblins before getting jammed. Should I expect consistent splattering or was it a fluke?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10193 on: March 29, 2011, 10:48:21 am »

Anyone know the relative effectiveness of glass trap components? Like where they fall in the scale of materials for blades and blunt?

Glass trap components having an effectiveness value is a new feature.  In older versions, they used uninitialized memory, so their effectiveness was entirely unpredictable, but quite often 0.

Now that that bug's been fixed (v0.31.22), people will need to do !!Science!! to determine what the effectiveness actually is.  Looks like you've made a start.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 10:51:13 am by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10194 on: March 29, 2011, 11:22:42 am »

That's why I was asking, wanted to know if anyone has figured out the new non-random values yet.
Started a new fort in .25 with a glass worker at the start, will see how things go.

Edit: Little update. Just had a Giant come take a look at my fortress. One trap of 10 exceptional large discs with exceptional mechanism did minor wounds to everything in one pass. The giant then limped away, attacked a stray cow, lost his lower lip to the cow (GO Bessy!), and decided to try the traps again. Two more passes over the trap (he apparently wanted to make sure that it was infact an ouchy spot to walk) and he passed out then died of suffocation. The combat report is full of tearing fat messages.
Also had a pair of goblin thieves try their luck before the giant, they both lost their heads.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:17:41 pm by Neowulf »

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10195 on: March 29, 2011, 03:08:15 pm »

Is there a way to make all of my ale and beer in to green glass pots, all of my wine in to clear glass pots and all of my food in to stoneware pots without incredibly tedious micro and forbidding of items depending on active jobs?

Edit: Just thought, would stockpiles containing only plump helmets and clear glass pots inside a burrow with a still work for only putting wine in to clear glass pots?

Edit2: Would that still leave me with the risk of pots that have just been emptied of plants being used for alcohol / needing massive barrel-less plant stockpiles?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 03:21:11 pm by Darkweave »

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10196 on: March 29, 2011, 03:15:45 pm »

Is there a way to make all of my ale and beer in to green glass pots, all of my wine in to clear glass pots and all of my food in to stoneware pots without incredibly tedious micro and forbidding of items depending on active jobs?
try storing different pots in different stockpiles near corresponding food/drink stockpile  ? that would take some room planning and extra pots though

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10197 on: March 29, 2011, 03:27:18 pm »

Do chickens need pasture area/get at foodstuff or would it be safe to lock them up for a couple of seasons in a room to breed them?

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10198 on: March 29, 2011, 03:27:53 pm »

Do chickens need pasture area/get at foodstuff or would it be safe to lock them up for a couple of seasons in a room to breed them?

They don't need to, they don't have the grazer tag.

The pasture page on the wiki has a  list of most animals that need to. If you're unsure check the raw for the given animal.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 03:30:40 pm by Darkweave »

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10199 on: March 29, 2011, 03:30:31 pm »

They don't need to, they don't have the grazer tag.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Pasture - list of most animals that need to.

Thanks. I was double-checking to be sure, since I'd rather not kill off those birds (at least, not yet...  :D).
Pages: 1 ... 678 679 [680] 681 682 ... 1178