Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117319 times)

The1stlogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10125 on: March 27, 2011, 01:10:29 pm »

I started a fortress in .22, and since then there have been two minor bug-fix releases. In my .22 fortress, I have a number of raw changes, mostly adjustments to the [Grazer] tag to make animals eat less, the addition of two dog variants, and the change of all instances of [Pet_Exotic] to [Pet].

If I move my save over to the new version, will these raw tag changes be preserved? Will I want to transfer my raws as well? Is the new version even worth playing?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10126 on: March 27, 2011, 01:12:33 pm »

yes, prolly not, HELL YEAH
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Angelarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10127 on: March 27, 2011, 03:50:33 pm »

My dwarves can't path to put some cabinets into my bedrooms, I'm using the modified windmill design from the wiki, when I look at the announcement it zooms to where I placed the cabinet order.  The cabinet(s) are behind the bed and it looks something like this
|D|
|BFF|
-----
D is door
B is bed
F is cabinets

How do I fix this?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10128 on: March 27, 2011, 04:34:57 pm »

I'm not certain if dwarves can path through built cabinets.
Is there any reason why you have two to a room?

Angelarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10129 on: March 27, 2011, 04:38:02 pm »

Just to increase wealth, they can't even reach the beds either

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10130 on: March 27, 2011, 04:48:33 pm »

Does the cancel announcement give the reason for suspendage?
Some likely causes:
There are stones that are being used for another job on the tiles, making them unmovable.
The doors are locked.
The furnature storage area is blocked off and inaccessable.
Burrow trouble.

Angelarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10131 on: March 27, 2011, 04:52:48 pm »

It simply says cannot reach site.  The furniture is simply stored in the workshops above ground at the moment and those are accessible.  Some of the tiles I ordered to use for the furniture have stones under them yes but they're not even the type of stone I'm using (magnetite) and some of them don't even have stone under them and the order was still canceled.  I have no burrows set either.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10132 on: March 27, 2011, 05:31:49 pm »

Can anyone give me a quick run-down of how animals spawn? I embarked in a savage desert with the hope of breeding GDS but only two males have showed up in 12 years.  :P Is there a way to speed it up, should I be patient or are these the last in the world?
Memento Mori

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10133 on: March 27, 2011, 05:39:57 pm »

Can anyone give me a quick run-down of how animals spawn? I embarked in a savage desert with the hope of breeding GDS but only two males have showed up in 12 years.  :P Is there a way to speed it up, should I be patient or are these the last in the world?
As far as I can tell from my testing, it works like this.  When the world is created, each biome gets a population of animals, determined by each animal's permitted biomes and population number defined in the animal raws.  Each biome should therefore get a population of each animal that can exist in that animal.  When you embark in a biome, groups of animals will spawn on the map edges.  These spawns are drawn from the predetermined populations of the biomes your site is on.  Some animals have the FREQUENCY tag, which can make them appear more or less often.  There is a limited number of groups of animals which can be on the map at once - usually it's only one group on the surface at a time, but some sites can have more than one.  When all members of a group of animals leave the map, it makes room for another group to enter.

Giant Desert Scorpions have a POPULATION_NUMBER of 5-10, so there should be more of them in your current savage biomes.  However, they have FREQUENCY of 5, so they only show up rarely.  Your best bet is to increase the odds of them showing up by doing everything possible to deplete the population of everything else in the biome.  Kill everything that enters the map that isn't a GDS, both to increase the odds of more GDS showing up and to make room for another animal group to show up by removing the wild animal group already on the map.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10134 on: March 27, 2011, 06:49:13 pm »

Interesting. Does the population number actually represent the number of them in a biome or just some sort of relative frequency. I haven't been counting really but it seems like I must be getting close to the 30 camel mark.
Memento Mori

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10135 on: March 27, 2011, 06:52:17 pm »

As far as I can tell, the population number is used to create the initial population of creatures for the biome.  Some creatures, including camels, have the PET token and can breed on their own in the wild, so they may be able to increase their biome population over time.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #10136 on: March 27, 2011, 09:04:44 pm »

If an enemy is thrown into water, which is then covered in lava and obsidian-ified, do their items remain in the obsidian? If so, would the items also stay if I were to drop the obsidian several hundred feet (if it formed on a bridge, which retracts)?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10137 on: March 27, 2011, 09:15:21 pm »

If an enemy is thrown into water, which is then covered in lava and obsidian-ified, do their items remain in the obsidian? If so, would the items also stay if I were to drop the obsidian several hundred feet (if it formed on a bridge, which retracts)?
I believe that magma-safe items are encased within the obsidian. Not certain if they stay after a cave-in, though.
I don't think that bridges can support tiles, so it may cave in as soon as it forms.
I could be wrong about both of these.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10138 on: March 27, 2011, 09:17:40 pm »

You are wrong about neither.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #10139 on: March 27, 2011, 09:43:21 pm »

"The forgotten beast is caught in a cloud of flames!"

That's grand and all, but I haven't breached a cavern, and haven't gotten a FB announcement. Rude little bugger, coming in all unannounced and bursting into flames. Speaking of which, my underground tree farm is grand and all but why are they growing when I have not breached a cavern? I can also build magma shops despite not having found magma.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
was released on another fort, if that generally causes these kinds of problems.

Also, goblins seem to be acting wonky. I'm not getting any ambushes on any of my forts since 31.19, only snatchers and sieges. This would be fine if my anti-ambush mechanisms weren't implemented.

Also also, are aquifers pressurized? Will that well on the same level of the aquifer it's being drained on overflow?

Edit: Looks like the forgotten beast got into a fight with some flaming wraiths. No combat report but there is corpses on the units list.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 09:53:49 pm by tolkafox »
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!
Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 1178