Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115281 times)

jovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9030 on: February 23, 2011, 01:00:21 pm »

What's the easiest way to get the equipment off of caged goblins?
It's easy when you're big in Japan. Eastern sea so blue ...

Diverso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9031 on: February 23, 2011, 01:03:27 pm »

So i set one of my dorfs to fill the hive. Now he spams alers about cpuld not find path. What should i do?
Only in DF do you get discussions of how to genocide babies and children because they take up resources, slaughter merpeople for their bones, eat raw kitten meat, and set carefree, happy elves on fire.

Is someone keeping track of all these?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9032 on: February 23, 2011, 01:04:29 pm »

Question: Since magma can be pressurized with a pump, is it possible to pump it up more than one Z level at a time with a "chimney"?

If that's the case, I'm thinking it would greatly simplify the magma pump stack required to pump magma all the way from the Magma Sea for purposes that do not require a large volume flow (such as for magma furnaces).
No. This doesn't work with water either. Also magma can not be pressurized.
let me explain.

pumps make fluids behave as if they had pressure. they lose it when the pump is turned off.
these "pumps" are really Archimedes' screws - a screw inside a pipe. they pump water only up to their level, so this wouldn't work.

dammit, it was explained better in a thread, but I can't find it. :(

also: you can use a massive cavein to pump a limited supply (like a piston) which is also described in a thread I'm too lazy to find right now.
How good are obsidian swords versus, say, iron ones?
bad. in my tests they usually lose.
mass-dump and reclaim the cage.

suspend atomsmasher. d>b>d and select their cages. escape to main view. k>select their cages one by one>d (to unmark). wait for folks to dump them in your dump. unforbid the things. Done!
So i set one of my dorfs to fill the hive. Now he spams alers about cpuld not find path. What should i do?
Where is he?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Diverso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9033 on: February 23, 2011, 01:06:20 pm »

He is in his room. The door's unlocked. No burrows are active for civs. So i have no idea.
Only in DF do you get discussions of how to genocide babies and children because they take up resources, slaughter merpeople for their bones, eat raw kitten meat, and set carefree, happy elves on fire.

Is someone keeping track of all these?

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9034 on: February 23, 2011, 01:13:08 pm »

suspend atomsmasher. d>b>d and select their cages. escape to main view. k>select their cages one by one>d (to unmark). wait for folks to dump them in your dump. unforbid the things. Done!

Cages should be built first, yes?
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9035 on: February 23, 2011, 01:21:57 pm »

Will bees survive the winter if they are in a temperate biome and it freezes outside? Do I need inside hives?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9036 on: February 23, 2011, 01:23:07 pm »

It's been a while for me, so I'm not sure if I remember that correctly, but I think you don't actually have to build those cages. It should work in the stockpile just fine. Also, instead of undumping them one by one, do so via the stocks screen.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9037 on: February 23, 2011, 01:25:56 pm »

doesn't matter. I have mine in a stockpile usually.

He is in his room. The door's unlocked. No burrows are active for civs. So i have no idea.
huh. try disabling his labor.

It's been a while for me, so I'm not sure if I remember that correctly, but I think you don't actually have to build those cages. It should work in the stockpile just fine. Also, instead of undumping them one by one, do so via the stocks screen.
that works too.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9038 on: February 23, 2011, 02:46:57 pm »

For the cage, use the stocks to dump all weapons/shields off the goblins to get the most bang for your buck. If you're just killing them, d-b-d the cage stockpile then go back over with k to undump the actual cages. If the cage is built, use t to undump the cages. It doesn't matter if the cage is built first or not, they'll still take the items away.

No, crutches don't work. My broken leg dwarf still lays in bed.

For finding your fortress in adventure mode, your best bet is embarking in the civilization that is the closest to your fort and finding your way from there. There is no easy way that I know of :/

Glass is still pretty random, although it seems to be more useless to wood. I'll let you know when someone loses a limb to it.

I don't know about the bees, but if they're inside they should survive. Toady can't be that cruel :p

Magma uses Archimede's screw, which goes with pressure from one side to the other. The easiest way to look at this is that fluid has weight, and dwarves can only pump the liquid if the side they're pumping to has less weight than the side they're draining from. Fortunately for you, it's a one sided equation so the pump will never back up or overflow....unless of course that was what you wanted O.o

I had a question too, but I forgots it :(

Oh ya, underground soil layers don't need to be watered, but underground rock layers do. Anyone know about clay layers?

What's the best thing to do with zinc? Seeing as it's my only metal, I want to make the best of it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 02:49:59 pm by tolkafox »
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9039 on: February 23, 2011, 02:52:39 pm »

Clay does not need to be irrigated. Zinc is really only interesting for making brass but that takes copper you don't have. You might be able to make furniture and bins out of it, but that's probably about it
Memento Mori

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9040 on: February 23, 2011, 02:53:40 pm »

you can mod zinc to be usable for everything :P
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9041 on: February 23, 2011, 03:03:44 pm »

Question: Since magma can be pressurized with a pump, is it possible to pump it up more than one Z level at a time with a "chimney"?
No... these "pumps" are really Archimedes' screws - a screw inside a pipe. they pump water only up to their level, so this wouldn't work.
also: you can use a massive cavein to pump a limited supply (like a piston) which is also described in a thread I'm too lazy to find right now.

You mean, this one?:
Method for transporting magma up z-levels without pumps

Thanks for the answer.
I was already aware that pumps were Archimedes' screws and about magma pistons. I was just hoping there might be a way to make simpler magma pump stacks...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9042 on: February 23, 2011, 03:05:22 pm »

Designate the hive for deconstruction.  This will cancel the job.  You can then cancel the deconstruction order, and the hive will generate a new fill hive job for a wild bee hive that's actually reachable.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

jovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9043 on: February 23, 2011, 03:34:16 pm »

can I use any metal to build a screw that's destined to become a magma pump component?
It's easy when you're big in Japan. Eastern sea so blue ...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9044 on: February 23, 2011, 03:42:06 pm »

No, it needs to be a magma-safe material or the pump will deconstruct.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 1178