Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 600 601 [602] 603 604 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115215 times)

Big Bee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9015 on: February 23, 2011, 01:54:08 am »

I have captured (and tamed) several horses.  But they are still in the cages from the cage traps.  How do I dump them?  I go into the cage contents screen and select (d)ump, but that just sets the cage to be dumped and it doesn't get dumped anyway.

A lot of people suggested the unnecessary step of connecting this to a lever. You just have to build the cage, then 'q' over it and unassign the horses. Or even better, if you can find the horses on the assign list from another cage (or in a pasture? I don't know) then you can just assign them there and they'll be moved.

If you need to dump stuff in a cage, like a dead horse, or seeds from taming htem, then you have to co into cage contents, select that item from the contents list, press ENTER, and then you are at teh screen for that item and can dump it.

Yes, that's as tedious as it sounds. For lots of stuff it's better to Mass-dump, (d-b-d) and then un-dump-queue the cage.

Strangely enough, I've done that.  The seeds just sit there undumped.  Nobody does anything about that.

I'm probably going to get fifty masterwork engravings of prickleberry seeds.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9016 on: February 23, 2011, 01:56:40 am »

I have captured (and tamed) several horses.  But they are still in the cages from the cage traps.  How do I dump them?  I go into the cage contents screen and select (d)ump, but that just sets the cage to be dumped and it doesn't get dumped anyway.

A lot of people suggested the unnecessary step of connecting this to a lever. You just have to build the cage, then 'q' over it and unassign the horses. Or even better, if you can find the horses on the assign list from another cage (or in a pasture? I don't know) then you can just assign them there and they'll be moved.

If you need to dump stuff in a cage, like a dead horse, or seeds from taming htem, then you have to co into cage contents, select that item from the contents list, press ENTER, and then you are at teh screen for that item and can dump it.

Yes, that's as tedious as it sounds. For lots of stuff it's better to Mass-dump, (d-b-d) and then un-dump-queue the cage.

Strangely enough, I've done that.  The seeds just sit there undumped.  Nobody does anything about that.

I'm probably going to get fifty masterwork engravings of prickleberry seeds.

Hm. That's weird. Do you have a garbage dump for dwaraves to dump them at? Are they forbidden? (that's often true for items in cages, and is easy to fix. a forbid-unforbid is also in the d-b menu)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Big Bee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9017 on: February 23, 2011, 02:27:06 am »

Hm. That's weird. Do you have a garbage dump for dwaraves to dump them at? Are they forbidden? (that's often true for items in cages, and is easy to fix. a forbid-unforbid is also in the d-b menu)

Hmmm...*checks*  Nope, they're all unforbidden.  The only ethical solution is to SUBMERGE THEM IN FIRE.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9018 on: February 23, 2011, 07:13:35 am »

Question 1: Are Building Destroyers type 2 capable of damaging buildings immediately behind a wall or fortification? Or would that provide complete protection until said beast finds a path to get on the other side?

Also, I read some interesting questions on the wiki about building destroyers that I'd love to know the answers to: DF2010 Talk:Building destroyer
I read that buildings cannot be destroyed from below. If this is still true, then a LOWERED bridge (or a locked hatch) is a destroyer immune barrier if you put it over a ramp entrance to your fort. Can anyone confirm? Also, it's still unclear to me from reading forums how building destroyers interact with raised bridges. From what I read they will path to it and get stuck, or (if the bridge was in the lowered position when the path was calculated (as in when you unlock the clowns)) then they will destroy the bridge.
Question 2: Could a ramp entrance + locked hatch or lowered bridge be a building destroyer proof safeguard?
Question 3: Do building destroyers tend to get stuck near a raised bridge?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9019 on: February 23, 2011, 07:30:33 am »

You're wrong ;). Weapon skill for picks is mining, can easily be verified by looking into raws or wielding a pick as adventurer.

With the exception of using the mining skill, picks, in terms of their combat effectiveness, used to be equal to spears, but they're quite a bit less effective as a combat weapon since the combat system was updated.

As for getting dwarfs to use their picks in the military, I'm not sure it's possible simply because there isn't a 'Pickdwarf' Military class. I think it's already classified as a weapon in the raws, as well as a tool, like the battleaxe is, so that isn't the issue.
You can do it easily. You just have to disable the mining labor first.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9020 on: February 23, 2011, 07:39:54 am »

With the exception of using the mining skill, picks, in terms of their combat effectiveness, used to be equal to spears, but they're quite a bit less effective as a combat weapon since the combat system was updated.
By "since the combat system was updated", are you referring to changes made in 0.31.19? Are you saying that picks have been effectively neutered in .19, or that they were already less effective in .18 (or earlier)?

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9021 on: February 23, 2011, 07:58:29 am »

Are there any easy ways of finding my old fort in adventure mode? Memorizing the location from the embark map seems tricky, and even then I still wouldn't know how to get there.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9022 on: February 23, 2011, 09:03:41 am »

I've recently moved from .12 to .19 and I've noticed that I can build farm plots on un-irrigated land. Do underground soil layers no longer need to be muddied?

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9023 on: February 23, 2011, 09:20:09 am »

That technique is how I gen worlds where glumprongs and feather trees within the same 3x3 or 4x4 embark area.

And zombie unicorns?

Also: Has the glass max_edge thing been fixed, or is it still random?
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9024 on: February 23, 2011, 10:03:32 am »

I've recently moved from .12 to .19 and I've noticed that I can build farm plots on un-irrigated land. Do underground soil layers no longer need to be muddied?

Nope!
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9025 on: February 23, 2011, 10:05:58 am »

Question 1: Are Building Destroyers type 2 capable of damaging buildings immediately behind a wall or fortification? Or would that provide complete protection until said beast finds a path to get on the other side?

Also, I read some interesting questions on the wiki about building destroyers that I'd love to know the answers to: DF2010 Talk:Building destroyer
I read that buildings cannot be destroyed from below. If this is still true, then a LOWERED bridge (or a locked hatch) is a destroyer immune barrier if you put it over a ramp entrance to your fort. Can anyone confirm? Also, it's still unclear to me from reading forums how building destroyers interact with raised bridges. From what I read they will path to it and get stuck, or (if the bridge was in the lowered position when the path was calculated (as in when you unlock the clowns)) then they will destroy the bridge.
Question 2: Could a ramp entrance + locked hatch or lowered bridge be a building destroyer proof safeguard?
Question 3: Do building destroyers tend to get stuck near a raised bridge?
1: No, wall and fortifications will block them. (Though there are some weird things happening with underwater fortifications, a BD could by pushed through with flow.)
2: Yes, as would a hatch on a down stairway. (But only from the bottom.)
3: I don't know this one, but I do know that BD cannot destroy raised drawbridges, and don't usually destroy lowered ones that they are standing on.

Underground soil layers no longer need to be muddied.
Ninja'd.

Ferrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9026 on: February 23, 2011, 11:26:54 am »

Pump stacks: Do I need waterwheels and such to power them or is dwarf-power enough? The stack I built to pump magma up about 10 z-levels doesn't do anything when I order a dwarf to operate the topmost pump.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9027 on: February 23, 2011, 11:39:13 am »

When a dwarf operates the pump, only that pump gets any power.  Connected pumps don't get powered, even if they would if that pump was being powered by a waterwheel or something. 
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9028 on: February 23, 2011, 12:04:44 pm »

1: No, wall and fortifications will block them. (Though there are some weird things happening with underwater fortifications, a BD could by pushed through with flow.)
2: Yes, as would a hatch on a down stairway. (But only from the bottom.)
3: I don't know this one, but I do know that BD cannot destroy raised drawbridges, and don't usually destroy lowered ones that they are standing on.

Thank you for the replies.  8)

Also,
Question: Since magma can be pressurized with a pump, is it possible to pump it up more than one Z level at a time with a "chimney"?

If that's the case, I'm thinking it would greatly simplify the magma pump stack required to pump magma all the way from the Magma Sea for purposes that do not require a large volume flow (such as for magma furnaces).

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9029 on: February 23, 2011, 12:16:18 pm »

How good are obsidian swords versus, say, iron ones?
*insert witty signature here*
Pages: 1 ... 600 601 [602] 603 604 ... 1178