Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 599 600 [601] 602 603 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115287 times)

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9000 on: February 22, 2011, 06:03:29 pm »

bug bee, just assigning all the horses to the chain one by one works even better without the need to use a lever

(so assign a horse, wait till its chained up then assign the next one so the first one will be released

dropping horses in a pit works even better and faster (you can just assign all horses to be dropped once and the dwarves will work down the list)

i have a problem with crossbowdwarves, i have bolts and crossbows and quivers, but the dwarves do not pick up there bolts :( (they hog around a crossbow and quiver just fine though)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 06:07:25 pm by blizzerd »

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9001 on: February 22, 2011, 06:30:17 pm »

i have a problem with crossbowdwarves, i have bolts and crossbows and quivers, but the dwarves do not pick up there bolts :( (they hog around a crossbow and quiver just fine though)

I've seen this before (a lot) in the ammunition screen for the squad how many bolts are allowed? If default 100, they may just pick up 4 stacks of wood bolts for the whole squad. Try increasing it? I don't know if that's supposed to be per dwarf or per squad.

I built a well in my latest Fort and assigned it as the Meeting hall. (usually use dining room) now all my dwarfs have pretty high social skills. Is there a good reason to get high socials (besides the occasional situation where someone "cries on someone in charge") or are they just for RP?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9002 on: February 22, 2011, 06:35:54 pm »

In .19 you can also simply assign the horses to a pasture.  I think.

You could also mark them as ready for slaughter, and that'll get them out. ;)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9003 on: February 22, 2011, 06:46:58 pm »

I've seen this before (a lot) in the ammunition screen for the squad how many bolts are allowed? If default 100, they may just pick up 4 stacks of wood bolts for the whole squad. Try increasing it? I don't know if that's supposed to be per dwarf or per squad.

I built a well in my latest Fort and assigned it as the Meeting hall. (usually use dining room) now all my dwarfs have pretty high social skills. Is there a good reason to get high socials (besides the occasional situation where someone "cries on someone in charge") or are they just for RP?

social skills make dwarves happy, but unhappy if there friends die
also social skills are good for leaders and for merchant traders if i recall correctly

i made the squad have 1000 bolts of any kind for combat and training but nothing changes, this squad is also hunters though, dunno if that has a cause in it (and hunters accept bolts just fine)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9004 on: February 22, 2011, 06:53:21 pm »

Having hunters, miners, or woodcutters in the military causes wierd stuff. You should turn these labors off before militarizing dwarves.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9005 on: February 22, 2011, 07:07:19 pm »

Having hunters, miners, or woodcutters in the military causes wierd stuff. You should turn these labors off before militarizing dwarves.
On that note, I've wanted to militarize my miners to take advantage of their mining skill training. But they seem to drop their picks as soon as they are activated and punch stuff, even if I assign them specific picks individually. What do I need to do to make squads use picks? or alternatively, what weapon skill (if any) gets bonuses for mining skill? and what weapon skill does a pick use or is it just the mining skill?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9006 on: February 22, 2011, 07:12:39 pm »

I believe that miners (and only miners) may use the mining skill while wielding a pick, while military dwarves use a different skill, probably hammerdwarf.
I could be completely wrong.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9007 on: February 22, 2011, 09:18:04 pm »

You're wrong ;). Weapon skill for picks is mining, can easily be verified by looking into raws or wielding a pick as adventurer.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9008 on: February 22, 2011, 09:37:19 pm »

You're wrong ;). Weapon skill for picks is mining, can easily be verified by looking into raws or wielding a pick as adventurer.

With the exception of using the mining skill, picks, in terms of their combat effectiveness, used to be equal to spears, but they're quite a bit less effective as a combat weapon since the combat system was updated.

As for getting dwarfs to use their picks in the military, I'm not sure it's possible simply because there isn't a 'Pickdwarf' Military class. I think it's already classified as a weapon in the raws, as well as a tool, like the battleaxe is, so that isn't the issue.
!!&!!

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9009 on: February 22, 2011, 10:09:25 pm »

If i wanted to gen a world with lots of evil places what would I need to change? What would make it ungennable?
what is mesh size? how does it affect world gen?
whats this "weighted range"? Ignore?
Desired number of good/evil square count in S/M/L sub-regions?
was this all explained in the wiki, cuz I still haven't found it.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9010 on: February 22, 2011, 10:31:05 pm »

I have captured (and tamed) several horses.  But they are still in the cages from the cage traps.  How do I dump them?  I go into the cage contents screen and select (d)ump, but that just sets the cage to be dumped and it doesn't get dumped anyway.

A lot of people suggested the unnecessary step of connecting this to a lever. You just have to build the cage, then 'q' over it and unassign the horses. Or even better, if you can find the horses on the assign list from another cage (or in a pasture? I don't know) then you can just assign them there and they'll be moved.

If you need to dump stuff in a cage, like a dead horse, or seeds from taming htem, then you have to co into cage contents, select that item from the contents list, press ENTER, and then you are at teh screen for that item and can dump it.

Yes, that's as tedious as it sounds. For lots of stuff it's better to Mass-dump, (d-b-d) and then un-dump-queue the cage.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9011 on: February 22, 2011, 11:16:01 pm »

That. If you want massive evil areas, raise the third number, Large regions. If you want craploads of evil pockets in the midst of other biomes, jack the Small region number up.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9012 on: February 22, 2011, 11:24:19 pm »

That. If you want massive evil areas, raise the third number, Large regions. If you want craploads of evil pockets in the midst of other biomes, jack the Small region number up.

Are you sure about that? My understanding was that the numbers here determine how large (in tiles) in respective region is, meaning that in a game with 9999 under the small area parameter, a small area will be 9,999 tiles...
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9013 on: February 23, 2011, 12:24:14 am »

Are you sure about that? My understanding was that the numbers here determine how large (in tiles) in respective region is, meaning that in a game with 9999 under the small area parameter, a small area will be 9,999 tiles...
It's mostly dependent on how DF defines Large, Medium, and Small subregions. Running a few quick tests on a pocket region, setting large evil to maximum (and all others to none) didn't get any results, but setting small to max did. Which probably means that the standard pocket region doesn't have any large (sub)regions. (Note that the only things I've changed are the Evil/Good settings, nothing else.)

Moving up to the standard Medium Region, again with all settings to none except for Large Evil to max. The evil areas are incredibly huge, but there are no evil pockets to speak of. Switching it around, with Small Evil to max and the rest to none, there are myriads of evil pockets spread throughout the map.

Same thing happens with Large Regions, too.

That technique is how I gen worlds where glumprongs and feather trees within the same 3x3 or 4x4 embark area.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9014 on: February 23, 2011, 01:17:32 am »

This is likely a dumb question, but has the bug with crutches not being assigned been fixed for 31.19? I haven't had a chance to play and do !!SCIENCE!! to see if it's working yet or not.
Pages: 1 ... 599 600 [601] 602 603 ... 1178