Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115288 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #8970 on: February 22, 2011, 01:41:09 am »

There are likely to be more varied engravings, and a higher chance of one or more dead civs.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #8971 on: February 22, 2011, 02:50:38 am »

So, my current dwarven civ has "no important leaders"

Does this mean my civ doesn't have a king or queen?

Or am I misunderstanding this?

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8972 on: February 22, 2011, 03:29:10 am »

Well, it doesn't have a general either, but yeah.

If I want to transport a save between two computers, I just go to data > save > region1 and copy that folder, right?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8973 on: February 22, 2011, 03:58:40 am »

So, my current dwarven civ has "no important leaders"

Does this mean my civ doesn't have a king or queen?

Which implies that they were probably killed. If their respective sites were captured or destroyed as well, and were among the last of your civilization, you may find yourself without a motherland soon, meaning an end to immigrants and (?) dwarven merchants.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #8974 on: February 22, 2011, 04:49:19 am »

Hmm.

I'll have to poke around in legends mode after my inevitable downfall. Thanks!

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8975 on: February 22, 2011, 06:41:31 am »

Well, it doesn't have a general either, but yeah.

If I want to transport a save between two computers, I just go to data > save > region1 and copy that folder, right?
Yes.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8976 on: February 22, 2011, 08:46:34 am »

Something I'm not 100% clear on on the military screen.

You can press r to replace clothing and m to toggle partial matches. But are these selected when you can read them, or when you press the key so they say something else? I'd imagine that the former is more likely than the latter.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8977 on: February 22, 2011, 10:01:58 am »

Is there any distinct difference or dis/advantage to playing a 2,000+ year old world than the standard -1,050?

Well worlds shorter than 1000 years start getting smaller civs. The less area your homeland covers the less likely you are to be able to embark with a variety of animals, metals and food (especially in this latest release).

I find that after 1000 years the odds of a civ being wiped out go way up.

Q - what's the best set of worldgen options to spark wars between civs? (I want to embark at war with, say, the humans or elves)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8978 on: February 22, 2011, 10:05:52 am »

In .18 I've recently had a lot of problems with my dwarves not grabbing all their gear, which was never a problem in any of my other forts. The gear is right there in the stockpile, unforbidden. Sometimes they'll grab everything except for their weapon, or just won't equip breastplates. I've also been unable to get marksdwarves to train when I've normally had absolutely no issues with them training. They just won't pick up their crossbows and quivers and ammo and they say "Soldier Cannot Follow Order." I've given them ranges, I've set the correct shooting angle "Top to Bottom." They won't do it. Why?

So far I've never used marksdwarves in .31, but I share your equipment-related problems. Telling them to equip socks with their boots results in two socks and no boot on one foot, and no socks and one boot on the other. When told to wear two caps under their helmets, some wore only one cap, or not caps, under their helmets. I've never had problems as serious as not equipping breastplates, though.

It's bizarre. I got them to finally equip their crossbows . . . somehow. I know battle axes can be tricky too when you've got wood cutting labors enabled and I have had trouble with them as well. I guess it's just buggy and I have to accept it.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8979 on: February 22, 2011, 10:19:22 am »

Military, while not bugless, has only trivial issues as long as none of your soldiers have the Mining, Woodcutting, or Hunting labors enabled.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8980 on: February 22, 2011, 11:36:49 am »

Q - what's the best set of worldgen options to spark wars between civs? (I want to embark at war with, say, the humans or elves)

Turning down savagery seems to make civs spread further; this increases the chance that civs will overlap. I think they will only go to war if they have coterminous and/or overlapping borders. Since humans and dwarves have similar ethics, they rarely seem to war with one another; but elves commonly go to war with dwarves (and goblins, natch).

So, I'd say minimum savagery, maximum sites and civilisations. Also, your civ has to be at war with the other civ, and I think you have to embark within their territory, or perhaps within both theirs and your civ's territory.

Elf wars are the best, because elfs are so damn easy to kill and have such pathetic weapons. Also, they're much more flammable.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8981 on: February 22, 2011, 12:27:20 pm »

For some reason, upwards slope/ramps are blinking. All of them. There are no items on the ramps to make it do so.

Is there any way to turn off the blink?
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Ferrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8982 on: February 22, 2011, 01:44:19 pm »

Has anyone else noticed that most migrants and the starting seven are female?

This has happened to me a few times now. The ratio is almost 8:2 women/men.

Big Bee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8983 on: February 22, 2011, 02:48:43 pm »

HORSUS

I have captured (and tamed) several horses.  But they are still in the cages from the cage traps.  How do I dump them?  I go into the cage contents screen and select (d)ump, but that just sets the cage to be dumped and it doesn't get dumped anyway.

Any suggestions?

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8984 on: February 22, 2011, 02:55:53 pm »

HORSUS

I have captured (and tamed) several horses.  But they are still in the cages from the cage traps.  How do I dump them?  I go into the cage contents screen and select (d)ump, but that just sets the cage to be dumped and it doesn't get dumped anyway.

Any suggestions?

Have you tried:
Construct the cage. Connect to lever. Pull lever.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 1178