Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118412 times)

Cephas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1530 on: July 01, 2010, 11:22:59 pm »

I played around with the tower and found it a smashing success for the tamed animals. Sadly, attempts to drag anything else around results in a rapid release. I would like to say that tiny animal pieces falling around the ground is much more fun than butchery.

I read the other chasm idea, but it really seems like an insane amount of work that has to be repeated every time. If it takes enough effort, I might as well just drop a bridge on them and build more cages in my spare time.

Edit - I didn't consider building the cages up there. That sounds much better. I'm going to try something like this...
Assuming that blank spaces are the pit / open space, + are floor, '!!' are the cages and > is the down stair.

+++++++
+!!+!!+!!+
+           +>
+           +>
+!!+!!+!!+
+++++++

Edit again - Nope. Didn't work in the slightest. They eat me.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 12:00:56 am by Cephas »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: July 01, 2010, 11:32:46 pm »

I played around with the tower and found it a smashing success for the tamed animals. Sadly, attempts to drag anything else around results in a rapid release. I would like to say that tiny animal pieces falling around the ground is much more fun than butchery.

I read the other chasm idea, but it really seems like an insane amount of work that has to be repeated every time. If it takes enough effort, I might as well just drop a bridge on them and build more cages in my spare time.

Usually if you build the cages next to the dropoff they don't escape before being tossed. Usually. Make a trap or two next to the exit. And only designate one at a time for dripping.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: July 01, 2010, 11:48:26 pm »

I was happy to find there were no more wagons in 2010.

Note that wagons will come back eventually, once Toady fixes some bugs with multi-tile creatures.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: July 01, 2010, 11:50:56 pm »

I was happy to find there were no more wagons in 2010.

Note that wagons will come back eventually, once Toady fixes some bugs with multi-tile creatures.

And then - giant turtles?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: July 01, 2010, 11:54:46 pm »

I'm a bit confused by the DF2010 magmawiki article on Pipe sections; it says that you both can't and can build them. And i checked a carpenter's workshop, and i can't build any there.
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: July 01, 2010, 11:59:35 pm »

I've had no problem making htem. THough admittedly, I've been making metal ones at the forge.
[/quote]

DDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Frogatto
« Reply #1536 on: July 02, 2010, 12:21:20 am »

Given a giant cave spider on the opposite side of a gap from a cow, I thought the cave spider might try to web the cow and give me Free Stuff. There are but five tiles separating the creatures.

However, natch. Is this not a viable way to get thread in 2010? :(
Il Palazzo: "Urist, quick, grab your ax! There's a troll rampaging through the decimal conversion chambers!"
melomel: DF is like OCD candy, isn't it? existent: No, DF is like the stranger in the trench coat offering the candy.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: July 02, 2010, 12:24:55 am »

Given a giant cave spider on the opposite side of a gap from a cow, I thought the cave spider might try to web the cow and give me Free Stuff. There are but five tiles separating the creatures.

However, natch. Is this not a viable way to get thread in 2010? :(

Same as in 40d. They have to be able to path to the creature they are webbing. Someone did an excellent setup with an imp that danced between different paths which swapped with each other when it got close to actually crossing them. It was a pretty amazing piece of work. If I remember rightly, there's even a known max limit to how long the path can be.
[/quote]

moosecow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: July 02, 2010, 12:37:42 am »

Are crutches ever assigned to an injured dwarf so that they may walk again? My dwarf took an arrow to the left leg and now he's unable to stand.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: July 02, 2010, 12:52:22 am »

Are crutches ever assigned to an injured dwarf so that they may walk again? My dwarf took an arrow to the left leg and now he's unable to stand.

check his health screen, has he been diagnosed? There's an order to these things, and all the steps must happen in order, it seems.
[/quote]

moosecow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: July 02, 2010, 01:10:15 am »

check his health screen, has he been diagnosed? There's an order to these things, and all the steps must happen in order, it seems.

Yes, he got diagnosed, cleaned, some sutures, now he just rests eternally. No crutches given. The doc/nurse's seem to believe he's good to go.

edit: hospital is fully stocked also
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 01:11:53 am by moosecow »

DDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Frogatto
« Reply #1541 on: July 02, 2010, 02:23:21 am »

Hm, I think I can rig up a couple of pressure plates... just as soon as I re-cage him. Thanks. :D
Il Palazzo: "Urist, quick, grab your ax! There's a troll rampaging through the decimal conversion chambers!"
melomel: DF is like OCD candy, isn't it? existent: No, DF is like the stranger in the trench coat offering the candy.

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: July 02, 2010, 02:56:10 am »

I've had no problem making htem. THough admittedly, I've been making metal ones at the forge.
I looked at all my workshops, and i can't see any "pipe section" type items to build. Odd...
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: July 02, 2010, 03:15:45 am »

Do civilian dwarves use backpacks to eat from if set to be equipped with them?
Same question for water skins.

A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: July 02, 2010, 05:50:23 am »

I didn't feel like this was important enough to make a new topic about.

Anyway is it normal for a dwarf to craft a copper nugget drum and become a legendary engraver (he use to be adequate) from it? Either way though, I have a pretty darn useful dwarf now.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 1178