Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118217 times)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1515 on: July 01, 2010, 06:30:14 pm »

I actually make sure to train my breeding stock into war animals if possible. It increased their attack capability, giving them a slightly better chance of surviving anything wandering into where they are chained up.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: July 01, 2010, 06:33:35 pm »

Will Building Destroyer enemies destroy traps or pressure plates, and if so, do they do this often, or do they prefer other things?  Also, can they destroy bridges or hatches from underneath?
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: July 01, 2010, 06:34:49 pm »

Also, can they destroy bridges or hatches from underneath?
No, only things on the same Z-level as them.

Chrissi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: July 01, 2010, 06:39:56 pm »

Also, can they destroy bridges or hatches from underneath?
No, only things on the same Z-level as them.

That is not true, I've had a troll bust through a floor hatch.

From below, for clarification. It wasn't on the same z-level.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: July 01, 2010, 06:45:13 pm »

Was it locked? If not then he could path through it and destroy it that way anyway. I was pretty sure hatches over entrances were used in some previous examples...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1520 on: July 01, 2010, 07:07:56 pm »

Will Building Destroyer enemies destroy traps or pressure plates, and if so, do they do this often, or do they prefer other things?  Also, can they destroy bridges or hatches from underneath?
They won't destroy traps or pressure plates.  Many of the worst Building Destroyer enemies are trap-immune, of course.

I have yet to see Building Destroyers destroy bridges under any conditions, except when you try to use a bridge to atom-smash a large Building Destroyer creature.  They'll destroy hatches when standing next to them, not sure about underneath.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Chrissi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: July 01, 2010, 07:11:02 pm »

Was it locked? If not then he could path through it and destroy it that way anyway. I was pretty sure hatches over entrances were used in some previous examples...

Yes it was locked, and it specifically said that he busted the hatch (I forget the exact message, I don't get many building destroyers the way I play... so it's the first time it's happened.  I learned my lesson too, ever since then it's walls and drawbridges.)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: July 01, 2010, 07:59:51 pm »

Building Destroyers can and will smash a locked hatch from below as long as it is reachable by stair or ramp. For this reason, you should be very careful about paths into the caverns, as it becomes very hard to seal them off quickly.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: July 01, 2010, 08:58:56 pm »

How do I go about setting up an underground well using surface water from a river? I tried a couple times and just ended up flooding myself.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: July 01, 2010, 09:02:51 pm »

I imagine you'd have an airlock - or waterlock, to be more precise. The river has a floodgate which leads off the river and down a shaft to an underwater cistern. The cistern has a floodgate above it.
Fill the cistern, but not the shaft (maybe don't fully fill it just to be safe). Then lock the river-cistern floodgate, and open the cistern-fortress floodgate, and build a well above it. When you run out of water, close the CF floodgate and repeat the process.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: July 01, 2010, 09:08:32 pm »

I think I see. I guess I could use a hatch cover on the end of the fill tube, or maybe bring the tube down to the bottom level of the cistern.  I was all ready to figure out how to do it with pumps but I've not tried using those before.

Cephas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: July 01, 2010, 09:29:00 pm »

Would someone mind helping me figure out how to kill animals in cages that are not tame without a significant amount of work? I'd prefer to free up the cage, but if I have to lose them as well it won't be too much of an issue.

I have a large number of trolls, goblins, and various cavern creatures to dispose of in some manner to free up stockpile space.

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: July 01, 2010, 09:30:01 pm »

I think I see. I guess I could use a hatch cover on the end of the fill tube, or maybe bring the tube down to the bottom level of the cistern.  I was all ready to figure out how to do it with pumps but I've not tried using those before.

Protip: Water moving diagonally through a wall will depressurize.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: July 01, 2010, 09:32:30 pm »

You can build a tall tower (like 10z or higher), make a pit activity zone, and assign caged prisoners to it. Your dwarfs will grab the prisoner from the cage, scale the tower and throw the guy off. I laugh my ass off every time I do a batch this way.

Some wild animals and all thieves will break free if you try to take them like this though. Save to be safe. For those ones you'll need a different approach, like the dwarven atom smasher or a drowning chamber.

EDIT: @StrawberryBunny, that is very interesting. Probably a bug too, right? Not that I mind >.>

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: July 01, 2010, 09:36:25 pm »

The best way would be to dig a very tall 1x1 chasm in the fortress inside a small room, put a lever and the animal(s) in the room, and assign the lever to be pulled on repeat. Connect a magma/water flooding mechanism (use magma if the animals are water-resistant, like fishmen or something, I dunno) to the room. As soon as some useless schmuck goes to pull the lever, wall him in. Have him throw the animals in. If some escape, flood the room to kill them, then drain it and send someone else in.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 1178