Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118198 times)

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1500 on: June 30, 2010, 07:44:43 pm »

On an unrelated note, my cage traps just defeated a pack of wolves, and I want to breed them. I've tried added [TRAINABLE] to [CREATURE:WOLF] in creature_large_temperate, but I still can't find anything in the Tame Large Animal-list at the Kennel... That's where I'm supposed to do it, right?

Solved it.

In case anyone wants to know: You need to modify the raws in the saves folder, and you also need the [PET] tag (in order to tame them).

Now, I wonder if I can do this with goblins...
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: June 30, 2010, 07:57:08 pm »

Traction benches require a table to be constructed. What happens if that table is an artifact table?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: June 30, 2010, 09:25:07 pm »

In 31.08 why will my cooks not use meat?
Are you using an old save or a mod? Early versions of the 31.xx series had the [edible_cooked] tag missing on meats.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: July 01, 2010, 04:31:39 am »

Is it possible to farm on smooth floors? I have this room that's already smoothed but I want to make it into a farm.
I think so you just have to irrigate it which makes the floor rough again
Irrigating smoothed floors results in muddy smooth floors.  You can farm on muddy smooth floors, but if any of your dwarves have spare time and the 'cleaning' labor enabled, they will come by and clean up the mud.  Which will make the farm stop working.  So you can farm on muddied smooth floors, but it's not a good idea as it won't last long.  Farm on muddied rough floors instead.
In 40d I tested this and found that constructing farms over muddy smoothed floors results in turning them rough again. Has this behavior changed in the new version?

EDIT: Since nobody seemed to know I did a quick test in a pocket fort. The answer is no. Once smoothed tiles are muddy, you can build a plot on them. The plot will remove the smoothing from the floor, returning it to the rough state. Be aware that this will also remove engravings, which can cause unhappy thoughts to the engraver if any were masterworks.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 05:51:17 am by Jimmy »

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: July 01, 2010, 09:24:24 am »

Exactly what should ramps look like to work with caravans?

Right now I've got

x x x
. . .
. . .
r r r
x x x

I see the green line on the z below when I check depot access. Does that mean its working?
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: July 01, 2010, 09:27:30 am »

If there is green, then yes, and looking at your ramps, yes, that works. Just make sure you get that green to the edge; not that it actually matters at this stage because wagons are broken.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: July 01, 2010, 09:29:18 am »

Thanks for a quick reply ;)
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Chrissi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: July 01, 2010, 12:07:26 pm »

I thought wagons being gone was a feature.  They sure seem to bring plenty of stuff most of the time, even without a wagon.... I assumed they used their animals now.  It really WAS kind of annoying to require a 3-tile wide path to your trade depot and not be able to block it off with a door at all, because doors can only be 2 wide (must have a wall on one side)... I was happy to find there were no more wagons in 2010.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: July 01, 2010, 01:43:19 pm »

Definately a bug. The WAGON entry is still in the RAWS, and Depot access still checks for a 3 tile wide path.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: July 01, 2010, 02:54:49 pm »

Little confused with breeding.  I'm trying to get my cattle industry going and I've had a stray bull+cow in a cage together for nearly a year and yet no calves.  They can breed in cages right?

I also now have male and female elephants so this is super duper important

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1510 on: July 01, 2010, 02:59:46 pm »

Animals cannot become pregnant in cages.  They can give birth in cages, but must be outside a cage to become pregnant.  They don't need to be in contact with each other at all, impregnation is via airborne spores.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: July 01, 2010, 03:06:33 pm »

ohhh. well then :P

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: July 01, 2010, 03:26:04 pm »

is there any way to keep the strays breeding without accidently taming them into war animals?  I can't get any of my dwarves to adopt the elephants and I want to keep a safe breeding couple and the "tame war animal" option doesn't really let you get exclusive

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1513 on: July 01, 2010, 03:43:50 pm »

Take your tame stray elephants and chain them up somewhere.  Taming them into war animals isn't required, and if they're chained up they won't be trained into war elephants even if you leave 'tame war animal' on repeat.  Alternately you can put them in a room and then lock the door to the room to keep your dwarves from reaching them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: July 01, 2010, 04:58:53 pm »

Alright, thanks
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 1178