Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118228 times)

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1485 on: June 30, 2010, 01:43:14 pm »

Well to get the kennel built try disabling the soldiers' labor involving the kennels. He's probably put it on his "TODO" list but is too busy training to do it. :p
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: June 30, 2010, 01:44:10 pm »

I looked through the wiki, but the information is not consistent on all the facets of the military. I just want to know if my soldiers will go about civilian tasks if I have their alert set to 'inactive'. They still do individual combat practice, but this seems to take precedence over all else. The specific problem I'm having is my animal dissector is doing his combat training but I need him for building a kennel. I try to assign others to hunting and animal training, but they wont build the kennel either.

Basically, I need to know if this is a problem with my military setup or something to do with the kennel.
I do believe the military dwarves will return to their mundane, civilian duties, if they will not have a place to conduct an individual training drill. Try removing "T"rain designation for a squad from your barracks, maybe disbanding and reinstating the squad if they'll still stuck. Perhaps removing the barracks designation at all might help?

kingkasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: June 30, 2010, 02:15:17 pm »

I looked through the wiki, but the information is not consistent on all the facets of the military. I just want to know if my soldiers will go about civilian tasks if I have their alert set to 'inactive'. They still do individual combat practice, but this seems to take precedence over all else. The specific problem I'm having is my animal dissector is doing his combat training but I need him for building a kennel. I try to assign others to hunting and animal training, but they wont build the kennel either.

Basically, I need to know if this is a problem with my military setup or something to do with the kennel.
I do believe the military dwarves will return to their mundane, civilian duties, if they will not have a place to conduct an individual training drill. Try removing "T"rain designation for a squad from your barracks, maybe disbanding and reinstating the squad if they'll still stuck. Perhaps removing the barracks designation at all might help?

Had to remove the barracks for them to stop. He finally went to the kennel. I don't understand why *he* had to build it, even though others had the proper labor enabled... Oh well, it still worked. Thanks

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: June 30, 2010, 02:28:39 pm »

My smelter says "No tasks available, check for rew material access and fuel if necessary."

I have 32 units of coke and one unit of charcoal, none of which are forbidden. I also have (among other things) 35 units of limonite, also not forbidden. This is not a magma smelter.

I've used it before, why shouldn't it work now? It's extra bad because I need to make some bars for my fey dwarf...
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: June 30, 2010, 03:17:16 pm »

Had to remove the barracks for them to stop. He finally went to the kennel. I don't understand why *he* had to build it, even though others had the proper labor enabled... Oh well, it still worked. Thanks

I'm not sure if this goes for everybody, but in my case I have notice that a dwarf with a new job enabled will not complete tasks, such as construction, that were designated before he was told that he could do that labor. (I.e., if I have a carpentry workshop waiting to be built and then tell Urist that he can build it, he just won't.) When that happens I just cancel the construction and command the order again.
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: June 30, 2010, 03:20:39 pm »

My smelter says "No tasks available, check for rew material access and fuel if necessary."

I have 32 units of coke and one unit of charcoal, none of which are forbidden. I also have (among other things) 35 units of limonite, also not forbidden. This is not a magma smelter.

I've used it before, why shouldn't it work now? It's extra bad because I need to make some bars for my fey dwarf...
This is an iffy guess but if you're moving stockpiles this will account for it.  I've noticed when an item is being hauled or a dwarf is on route to hauling it will be considered more or less "forbidden" and may not even appear on the stocks list until it's back in a proper stockpile.

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: June 30, 2010, 03:47:09 pm »

This is an iffy guess but if you're moving stockpiles this will account for it.  I've noticed when an item is being hauled or a dwarf is on route to hauling it will be considered more or less "forbidden" and may not even appear on the stocks list until it's back in a proper stockpile.
The stockpile is the same that I've used since I started this fort, so I doubt that's it.

I also have more coke than dwarves...
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: June 30, 2010, 04:08:55 pm »

Strange.. try de and recontructing the smelter

Beyond that I have no idea. might be something for the bug tracker

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: June 30, 2010, 04:19:57 pm »

Is the smelter in a burrow?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: June 30, 2010, 04:25:49 pm »

Yes, yes it is.

*checks*

That was it! Seems it has to be in the same burrow as the raw materials. That doesn't affect any of my other workshops though, strange... I guess it's because the smelter checks for raw materials first while a, for example, carpenters workshop doesn't care if the materials are there?

Edit: WOHO, saved my Mason!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 04:30:34 pm by Cyntrox »

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: June 30, 2010, 04:34:09 pm »

On an unrelated note, my cage traps just defeated a pack of wolves, and I want to breed them. I've tried added [TRAINABLE] to [CREATURE:WOLF] in creature_large_temperate, but I still can't find anything in the Tame Large Animal-list at the Kennel... That's where I'm supposed to do it, right?

RagNoRock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: June 30, 2010, 04:38:17 pm »

Ok I set Weather to NO in the D_Init but its still raining >_<.

Oh, and I did save/restart.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 04:54:07 pm by RagNoRock »

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: June 30, 2010, 04:43:11 pm »

In 31.08 why will my cooks not use meat?
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: June 30, 2010, 06:13:37 pm »

weather isn't so much a "happens/doesn't happen" switch as "changes/doesn't change". It was raining when you set the init option to NO meaning weather no longer changes. Ergo, permanent rain.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

RagNoRock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: June 30, 2010, 06:22:25 pm »

weather isn't so much a "happens/doesn't happen" switch as "changes/doesn't change". It was raining when you set the init option to NO meaning weather no longer changes. Ergo, permanent rain.
Thanks will turn it back on and wait for the rain to stop.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 1178