Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123468 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #735 on: May 19, 2010, 05:12:46 pm »

I have a magma forge thats not working. It sits one z-level above a ton of 7/7 magma squares.

...Or do I have to channel out the squares I want to use for the forge, and put the forge on the channel?

Wait, that cant be right... Whats wrong :(
Nope you're right. you need 1 hole in the ground (channel) 1 z-level above the magma, then put the 3x3 magma building on top of it.
it cannot be more than 1 level above magma or the building won't work.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: May 19, 2010, 05:14:30 pm »

I have a magma forge thats not working. It sits one z-level above a ton of 7/7 magma squares.

...Or do I have to channel out the squares I want to use for the forge, and put the forge on the channel?

Wait, that cant be right... Whats wrong :(

You need to channel out one square for the forge. If you look closely you can see how some of the tiles in the workshop are actually a darker green then the others. Like this, just channel out below one of the darker green blocks and your fine.
XXX
XXX
XXX
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: May 19, 2010, 06:15:17 pm »

Ah, thanks guys. Dorf Steel Inc. is going to give ya'll a hundred thousand elven skulls for your efforts.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: May 19, 2010, 06:19:56 pm »

I need to explain in order to avoid propagating misinformation: any single tile of magma of 4/7 or more is sufficient. The channel does need to be exposed, and the magma forge does need to be directly on top of it. However, it can be any tile of the forge or other magma-operated building. It is just best to place the darker squares over magma in order to prevent anything from crawling out. They are solid, and nothing will come up through them as it will through other exposed channels.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: May 19, 2010, 06:29:13 pm »

I need to explain in order to avoid propagating misinformation: any single tile of magma of 4/7 or more is sufficient. The channel does need to be exposed, and the magma forge does need to be directly on top of it. However, it can be any tile of the forge or other magma-operated building. It is just best to place the darker squares over magma in order to prevent anything from crawling out. They are solid, and nothing will come up through them as it will through other exposed channels.
So THATS why i kept getting attacked by magma men even though my building was there. Thanks Architect!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Malne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: May 19, 2010, 08:25:19 pm »

Soooo are glaciers/ice broken?  Decided to start out on a glacier for some fun, I know the bug with the soil irrigation so I dropped a bunch of ice onto a shale floor.  Some of it melted immediately, ice boulders shortly after.  However, instead of muddying the floor, my dorfs just cleaned up the water?  Worked in 40d according to wiki, not anymore? :(

Mendtos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: May 19, 2010, 10:28:52 pm »

Quick one, how do I get my butchers to go ahead and slaughter the deer and other animals I have in cages?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: May 19, 2010, 10:39:56 pm »

Quick answer: If they're not tamed, you can't butcher them directly. If they're tamed, you can order them butchered via the z->animals screen, or by the v->p if you're trying to be more specific.

Slower answer: Some can be tamed via the dungeon master; most critters are PET_EXOTIC nowadays. For everything else (or lacking a DM/will to mod away the exotic part), you're going to have to find some way to kill them. Weapon traps, long drops, military squads, etc, etc, etc.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mendtos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: May 19, 2010, 10:50:58 pm »

Quick answer: If they're not tamed, you can't butcher them directly. If they're tamed, you can order them butchered via the z->animals screen, or by the v->p if you're trying to be more specific.

Slower answer: Some can be tamed via the dungeon master; most critters are PET_EXOTIC nowadays. For everything else (or lacking a DM/will to mod away the exotic part), you're going to have to find some way to kill them. Weapon traps, long drops, military squads, etc, etc, etc.

as far as long drops go, if I toss them into my pit-o-death while still in the cage, will that do the trick? I'm still a little new to the whole dropping things game... though I did manage to kill 2 of my miners while making the hole.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: May 19, 2010, 11:01:14 pm »

Cages are like stasis pods; anything in the cage is immune to outside influences. In other words, you'll have to take them out first.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Mendtos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: May 20, 2010, 01:53:03 am »

Amirite in that you lose 1 mechanism every time you replace a cage in a death trap maze sort of place where you dispose of deer and other random critters / baddies?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: May 20, 2010, 05:41:28 am »

I assume you mean when you build a cage and link it to a lever to safely release the critter? One mechanism goes into the cage and a second one goes into the lever used to release. As such, if you deconstruct both, you'll get all three mechanisms back (2 to link, and 1 to build lever).
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: May 20, 2010, 07:34:34 am »

The "lost" mechanism is probably due to not deconstructing and replacing the lever. If you just continue hooking cages to it, you'll end up with a lever containing many mechanisms.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: May 20, 2010, 02:55:02 pm »

Quick one, how do I get my butchers to go ahead and slaughter the deer and other animals I have in cages?

If they are EXOTIC pets (According to the raws) then even if tamed, they may not be IN your z-> animals screen. See: "animals bought from &^%$ elves". You can still set them to be butchered, however, if you (v)iew them individually and check their (p)references and set them to be butchered there. This requires them to not be in cages. This is a pain.

If they're not tamed. Go for the gusto: use the "blender room". (many many spinning disk traps, a locked door, and a lever set to repeat)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

PiCroft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: May 20, 2010, 04:38:16 pm »

Yo.

I've been trying to build a pump stack, and I learned from the wiki that the pumps can supply power to each other by stacking them correctly as follows:

a pump that is, say pumping from east to west must5 have a pump directly over it pumping from west to east. In addition, the pump on top must have a channel/hole directly underneath its "output" square, such that its output square has nothing between it and the intake square of the pump beneath it.

I think I have this setup; after all, I can't build a screw pump if the hole in the floor is on the wrong side, so it isn't like I can accidentally have the hole over/under the wrong part of the pumps.

I currently have it so the pump on the bottom is pumping west to east, and it has access to a magma source. I confirmed this by hand-pumping it (The dwarf in question was lucky to escape that one alive!) and the pump above pumps east-to-west. The above pump has a hole in the floor directly underneath its output square which is directly abov the bottom ones input square.

According to the wiki, they should be "connected" for power purposes, so I tested this by hand-pumping the topmost one, but this does not draw magma from the lower one. In fact the lower one doesn't appear to be powered when I do this.

It shoudl be noted the top pump has no hole near its intake, so it can't draw anything up. The reason for this was to test their ability to power each other without drowning the dwarf working the upper pump in magma.

Could someone tell me where I have gone wrong? Is it necessary to have the top pump have a hole for drawing magma before it will power the bottom one?
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 1178