Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123400 times)

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #720 on: May 19, 2010, 04:00:10 am »

Will every civvy with wood cutting enabled try to carry around an axe all the time, even if they never go out and chop trees?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: May 19, 2010, 07:15:50 am »

Will every civvy with wood cutting enabled try to carry around an axe all the time, even if they never go out and chop trees?

Indeed. It is a beautiful thing. I have noted, however, that confusion results if you try to assign them to the military, without assigning them, specifically, an axe.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

aorsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: May 19, 2010, 08:49:34 am »

question: i've had a carpenter come to my hospital with a brown colored right hand (come to think of it, i have no idea how this happened, can dwarfs get injuries doing regular jobs now?). my doctor say that they need to suture and then dress the wound. problem is, my doctor keeps suturing the wound over and over again. he's digging pretty deep  into my supply of thread. is this supposed to happen? i think it's somewhat extreme for such wound. my half dead mangled miner recovered with alot less attention.

LegitMacgyver

• Bay Watcher
  • Macgyver cancels make bomb, can't find paper clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: May 19, 2010, 09:01:26 am »

question: i've had a carpenter come to my hospital with a brown colored right hand (come to think of it, i have no idea how this happened, can dwarfs get injuries doing regular jobs now?). my doctor say that they need to suture and then dress the wound. problem is, my doctor keeps suturing the wound over and over again. he's digging pretty deep  into my supply of thread. is this supposed to happen? i think it's somewhat extreme for such wound. my half dead mangled miner recovered with alot less attention.

Standard bug with the current version.  The injury maybe has healed but the doctor doesn't know it, nor does the injured dwarf.  He will rest in the hospital forever and the doctor will try and suture him forever.  As this is a common bug there isn't much to be done but wait for the next version.  It may be possible to fix the issue by re-injuring the dwarf to restart the diagnosis and healing process.  But that is kind of a hassle.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: May 19, 2010, 12:08:05 pm »

On the topic of Theft, will tied-up War-Dog or indeed dogs in general spot theives at entrances etc?

aorsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: May 19, 2010, 01:34:07 pm »

i was thinking about releasing a jaguar or two or maybe a tigerman i've recently purchased from the elves into the hospital. they both have the (tame) tag next to them though, are they really "tame" or will they attack my dwarfs as planned?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: May 19, 2010, 01:44:54 pm »

Hi!

Purchased tame animals are really tame. They will walk around your fortress, gathering at your meeting locations. Giant tigers and the like will also hunt the local wild life (giant tigers having quite a taste for elephant meat, it seems (^_^;; ) should they come upon it.

However, people have reported a bug relating to tame animals that have building destroyer: It seems that they will destroy things in your fortress, even though they are tame. The most prominent example seems to be the Giant Desert Scorpion.

But purchased bears and giant felines are absolutely safe - I am talking from experience.

Deathworks

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: May 19, 2010, 02:26:05 pm »

does the king come if you find an adamantine shaft in the magma sea?
because I have zero preparations if he does.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: May 19, 2010, 02:50:19 pm »

Perhaps this should be in the modding section but how would you go about modding a forgotten beast so that it just dies?

I got a coral man with wings that shoots frozen extracts that paralyze my dwarfs. This means that even though he has red on ALL his body parts he just wont die because he can still freeze my dwarfs before the "hidden HP system" works.
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: May 19, 2010, 02:58:46 pm »

Smelters... I have a smelter thats not forbidden, two furnace operators, 8 bars of charcoal, and a metric ton of magnetite, yet whenever I use the q-a menu on them they say "No tasks available. Check for raw material access and fuel if necessary."
This is bad since I need to train my dwarves in weapons so I can dig down, yet I cant make any! Maybe its a bug...
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

Ivar360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: May 19, 2010, 03:16:02 pm »

Smelters... I have a smelter thats not forbidden, two furnace operators, 8 bars of charcoal, and a metric ton of magnetite, yet whenever I use the q-a menu on them they say "No tasks available. Check for raw material access and fuel if necessary."
This is bad since I need to train my dwarves in weapons so I can dig down, yet I cant make any! Maybe its a bug...

you need pig iron bars too

Mimir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: May 19, 2010, 04:10:46 pm »

Someone walk me through building and using 'atom smasher' to dispose of caged goblins?

I put in 4x4 stone floor and a retractable 4x5 bridge to it's left. The drawbridge raises to the left. When it's raised the 4x4 floor is all visible. That is, the floor is not part of the draw bridge anchor point.

BUT, I can't build <b, j> a cage on the floor when the drawbridge is raised.

Thanks,
Stanley.

Ralith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: May 19, 2010, 04:31:31 pm »

you need pig iron bars too

Not to make normal iron...
Try deconstruction and reconstruction.
Sig to be updated momentarily.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: May 19, 2010, 05:07:17 pm »

I have a magma forge thats not working. It sits one z-level above a ton of 7/7 magma squares.

...Or do I have to channel out the squares I want to use for the forge, and put the forge on the channel?

Wait, that cant be right... Whats wrong :(

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: May 19, 2010, 05:09:59 pm »

Someone walk me through building and using 'atom smasher' to dispose of caged goblins?

I put in 4x4 stone floor and a retractable 4x5 bridge to it's left. The drawbridge raises to the left. When it's raised the 4x4 floor is all visible. That is, the floor is not part of the draw bridge anchor point.

BUT, I can't build <b, j> a cage on the floor when the drawbridge is raised.

Thanks,
Stanley.

You dont. Mark the cages for dumping, and put a garbage tile (i, select square, g) on that space.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 1178