Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1092214 times)

pra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2010, 04:57:50 am »

how exactly do I order my dwarves now to stay inside? can't figure out how the new system works...

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2010, 05:16:11 am »

Yeah traction bench to move the bone into place and a splint to keep it there so the doc can plaster it.
I think.

Had both.

Do you have chests/bags/containers set up in your hospital to hold the splints?

Haha, yeah, I had like ten chests in there. I only had one bag of gypsum powder though, and I'm not sure how much a cast needs (he had two injuries that needed a cast) so it might have been a lack of powder.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2010, 06:07:18 am »

Okay, so dwarves are supposed to be masters of stone, famous miners and all that. I'm not sure if this is a new thing, since I haven't tried it in the old version, but: Why can't my dwarves dig up?!
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2010, 06:16:06 am »

HUNTING.
OK, I've "navigated" the "military" screen and allocated Hunters to be able to use 20 of my bolts.

Upon arrival, my Hunter dropped all his hunting gear (I assume because on arrival, my hunter group didn't have any ammo allocated to them: this surely is a bug?).

Apart from allocating ammo to the Hunters group... what else do I need to do to get him to hunt? There are deer wandering around unhunted. It's going to take me ages to get to digging a farm somewhere I can irrigate, and being on the side of a hill it's going to take almost as long to make a terrace I can farm above-ground plants on...
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2010, 06:26:51 am »

How do I get my military dwarves to start working again? I've disbanded the squad: They all say No Job, and they aren't counted as idlers. I set them to fish, they still say No Job.

help, same question.
Ditto. This should probably be reported as a bug.
(Edit: It has http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=52403.0)
A minimal test example is to:
1: Embark and recruit all 7 dwaves into a squad, - no need for schedules or anything.
3: Make an armor stand, place it, make a barack area and set it for training.
4: After a short shile all 7 will be doing individual combat drill.
The dwarves are now beyond reach, - the only action tha can be taken is to 'free the room', - that will stop the training, but lock them in 'No job', and they will still not count as idle. ???
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 06:29:33 am by askovdk »
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2010, 06:32:09 am »

Is there any use for cartilage?

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2010, 06:34:00 am »

Questions:
1. Is the "Induvidual Training" the only option now? It trains the weapon skill as well as the fighter skill, but dodging and the shield skill remain unchanged.
2. Are there GCS in the caverns? I found a lot of spider silk, buy my exploring dwarves failed to discover its producer.
3. And if I managed to discover one and capture it, how could I make a silk farm?

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2010, 06:59:39 am »

Okay, so dwarves are supposed to be masters of stone, famous miners and all that. I'm not sure if this is a new thing, since I haven't tried it in the old version, but: Why can't my dwarves dig up?!
I should point out this is in regards to stairs. I've (sort of) solved the problem with ramps, but this is still kinda lame.
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2010, 07:04:32 am »

I should point out this is in regards to stairs. I've (sort of) solved the problem with ramps, but this is still kinda lame.
I gotta say, I'm not experiencing the same problem digging up/down stairs from underneath.
So let's go through the motions:
you are designating a "dig up stairs (u)" then going up one level, on exactly the same tile but one higher, and designating a "dig down stair (j)" or "dig up/down stair (i)"?
I know I just did exactly the reverse, digging down one level to make a short tunnel for filling with magma, and it worked fine. For me.
Garrie.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2010, 07:14:02 am »

Notwithstanding the stair question I just answered;

I just dug  a single channel to allow a magma smelter to be constructed. I swear it was a single channel designated.

Somehow. I have ended up with a down ramp instead (with an up ramp below it as  you would expect).

Anyone?
Yes, I will try and replicate.
Garrie.

HorvathSaigyou

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2010, 07:34:00 am »

Notwithstanding the stair question I just answered;

I just dug  a single channel to allow a magma smelter to be constructed. I swear it was a single channel designated.

Somehow. I have ended up with a down ramp instead (with an up ramp below it as  you would expect).

Anyone?
Yes, I will try and replicate.

This is how channels work now. Your best bet is to send a dwarf down and remove the ramp below, which would erase the ramp above and actually make an empty space. I think that was put in to prevent dwarves from channeling out the area around them and stranding themselves. I'm pretty sure this is intended.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2010, 07:52:19 am »

This is how channels work now. Your best bet is to send a dwarf down and remove the ramp below, which would erase the ramp above and actually make an empty space. I think that was put in to prevent dwarves from channeling out the area around them and stranding themselves. I'm pretty sure this is intended.
Actually, I see what you are getting at, and in fact - I was able to build the magma smelter (which even operated) over a single down ramp which still had an up ramp under it.
Considering the magma (directly attached to a pipe with no floodgate to turn it off, pumps or anything else) - removing the ramp is pretty impossible right now!
Garrie.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2010, 07:55:27 am »

how exactly do I order my dwarves now to stay inside? can't figure out how the new system works...
Easiest way:
you can order them to stay in any particular place by designating a burrow (well, a Warren given it uses the "w" key ;) ). Once you have made the burrow, allocate dwarves to it. The hard bit is un-allocating them when you want them to go do something useful. It's not hard, it's just annoyingly non-obvious why your burrow-allocated woodcutter dwarf won't leave the dormitory.
Garrie.

Batista

• Bay Watcher
  • On the Devil's Dance Floor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2010, 07:56:09 am »

New player here, slowly climbing the vertical learning curve

Dumb question but search didn't help neither did the wiki

Q: How do I remove a "ceiling" tile? I have access to said tile from above and below.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2010, 08:02:54 am »

Easiest way:
you can order them to stay in any particular place by designating a burrow (well, a Warren given it uses the "w" key ;) ). Once you have made the burrow, allocate dwarves to it. The hard bit is un-allocating them when you want them to go do something useful. It's not hard, it's just annoyingly non-obvious why your burrow-allocated woodcutter dwarf won't leave the dormitory.
To not mess with re-allocating each time, dont assign anyone to this burrow. Instead, go to [m]-[a], make new alert "Stay inside", then assign your burrow to that alert.
When you need dwarfs stay inside, you set CIV alert to that one, and they will stick to burrow.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 1178