Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1092220 times)

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2010, 08:17:19 am »

New player here, slowly climbing the vertical learning curve

Dumb question but search didn't help neither did the wiki

Q: How do I remove a "ceiling" tile? I have access to said tile from above and below.
You remove cieling from above by digging a "channel".
Designating "dig" digs out a wall square.
Designating "channel" digs out a wall square, and the floor square, at the same time.

Past version you used to end up with a hole in the floor. DF2010 gives you a ramp leading from the level that was designated as a channel, to the level below it.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Batista

• Bay Watcher
  • On the Devil's Dance Floor
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2010, 08:23:51 am »

New player here, slowly climbing the vertical learning curve

Dumb question but search didn't help neither did the wiki

Q: How do I remove a "ceiling" tile? I have access to said tile from above and below.
You remove cieling from above by digging a "channel".
Designating "dig" digs out a wall square.
Designating "channel" digs out a wall square, and the floor square, at the same time.

Past version you used to end up with a hole in the floor. DF2010 gives you a ramp leading from the level that was designated as a channel, to the level below it.

Thank you

Twigz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2010, 08:47:22 am »

Hi, i've got a newbie question myself. I was trying to set up irrigation using floodgates. I got the floodgates working without water, but once the water flowed through they wouldn't close. I've read that any object will stop them closing, so i assume its the mud. How do i stop this happening?

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2010, 08:50:57 am »

I've read that any object will stop them closing, so i assume its the mud. How do i stop this happening?
My floodgates close fine even with piles of mud on the tile.

Twigz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2010, 08:55:54 am »

Thats strange then. Maybe it was something else. I was draining water to another room, maybe it just wasn't big enough? I'll give it another go

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2010, 09:11:07 am »

Questions:
1. Is the "Induvidual Training" the only option now? It trains the weapon skill as well as the fighter skill, but dodging and the shield skill remain unchanged.
2. Are there GCS in the caverns? I found a lot of spider silk, buy my exploring dwarves failed to discover its producer.
3. And if I managed to discover one and capture it, how could I make a silk farm?

No ideas?

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2010, 09:28:56 am »

Thats strange then. Maybe it was something else. I was draining water to another room, maybe it just wasn't big enough? I'll give it another go
Stone often blocks floodgates, the usual solution is to dump everything between the water inlet and the floodgate that "has to close".
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2010, 09:49:51 am »

How do I get my dwarves to take the bags of gypsum plaster powder into my hospital? They are just sitting in my stockpile, and the hospital is always at 0/750 plaster powder. I tried:

1) Setting a plaster bag stockpile in hospital zone. They took them there but the plaster wasn't registered in the hospital information (i-H)

2) Dumping the plaster from inside the bag (so they take it out) and then reclaiming it, but the plaster disappeared into thin air.

And yes, I do have chests and bags built into the zone, but they are either filled with other medical stuff or stay empty.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

LukeRM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2010, 10:46:24 am »

{[Low Priority Question]} Do items become named (semi-artifact) during adventure mode? Or only in Fortress mode?

Do adventurers become fatter?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:54:18 am by LukeRM »

pra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2010, 11:01:47 am »

Easiest way:
you can order them to stay in any particular place by designating a burrow (well, a Warren given it uses the "w" key ;) ). Once you have made the burrow, allocate dwarves to it. The hard bit is un-allocating them when you want them to go do something useful. It's not hard, it's just annoyingly non-obvious why your burrow-allocated woodcutter dwarf won't leave the dormitory.
To not mess with re-allocating each time, dont assign anyone to this burrow. Instead, go to [m]-[a], make new alert "Stay inside", then assign your burrow to that alert.
When you need dwarfs stay inside, you set CIV alert to that one, and they will stick to burrow.
oh. okay. thx.
unfortunately it was too late. a population of about 100 productive dwarves has been decimated to 14 depressed tantrum-throwers by an unkillable forest titan and goblin ambushes. and more goblin ambushes. and even more goblin ambushes. have I alerady mentioned the goblin ambushes?

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2010, 12:01:51 pm »

How do I stop my military dwarves from training to death without disbanding the unit? My military comander trained to death before the game crashed. -_-. I've now disbanded them, and now I have two dwarves doing drills.

....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2010, 12:08:46 pm »

How do I stop my military dwarves from training to death without disbanding the unit?
In [m] - [ s] set minimal amount to lower than squad has. This amount is guaranteed to fulfill given order, so when its 10/10, all 10 MUST train all time.

Arcanalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2010, 12:48:01 pm »

This is more of a quality-of-life question as opposed to a "game breaking OMG HALP NOW" question, but...

Is there some way to disable the "fog of war" that you get when you uncover something? I like the intention here, because its awesome for immersion and whatnot, but its a minor annoyance when you're trying to plan a fortress. I checked around in the inits and couldn't find anything, and I have no idea about the raws.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2010, 01:30:46 pm »

what are all these things in the new butchery for?

Hair and cartilage and nerve tissue, I can't see any use for, they just seem to sit there.

Horns and hooves and things, can make crafts from, and organs can be made into food, but I can't see any use for the other thingies?

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2010, 01:48:47 pm »

How do I get some one to TEACH SOMETHING? I'm thinking that's necessary before they actually will LEARN TO SHOOT
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 1178