Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1093079 times)

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2010, 02:42:13 pm »

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but... How do I set up a study? I didn't see an option for it in the q menu. I'm also having a problem getting my dwarves to train. They all show up and just stand around. The waiting for training thing in the u menu shows up yellow for all of them except one that has it in blue. Anyway to get them to actually do something?

*EDIT* Loading up the game seems to have snaped it out of it. Now the one that was blue is organizing a dodging training demonstration and everyone else is waiting for it. They've been this way for a minute or two, I'm starting to get worried that they are stuck again.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 03:12:23 pm by Grimshot »
My personality profile.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2010, 03:12:59 pm »

What's the misc. object user skill for?

@^: A study is used by managers and bookkeepers to approve orders(from the manager menu) and to keep stocks up-to-date.
I'm still barely understanding training, but from what I understand, when you get your dwarves training, the militia commander will prepare training while his underlings wait. Then he will start leading a demonstration which the underlings watch. At least, that's what's happening with my squad.

Dewar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2010, 03:27:04 pm »

I seem to be misunderstanding part of the UI. I've formed a squad of two guys, gone into squads with the 's' key, and set them to active. Yet, no one trains. Am I missing some very obvious switch to set a squad as active?

For anyone who has the same issues as me, you have to set the squad to train at a Barracks Room

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2010, 03:32:16 pm »

Apart from allocating ammo to the Hunters group... what else do I need to do to get him to hunt?

Near as I can tell: You need your launcher, allocated ammo, and a quiver, or they won't even try.

The fairly annoying thing is that the hunters seem to refuse to stuff more than one stack of ammo into their quiver. I couldn't figure out how to get them to hold a second stack in their hand either, and when they run out of ammo, they cancel their hunting job and go loiter around for a while.

Anyone know if there's a way to convince the guys to hunt with melee weapons?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2010, 03:51:54 pm »

Apart from allocating ammo to the Hunters group... what else do I need to do to get him to hunt?

Near as I can tell: You need your launcher, allocated ammo, and a quiver, or they won't even try.

The fairly annoying thing is that the hunters seem to refuse to stuff more than one stack of ammo into their quiver. I couldn't figure out how to get them to hold a second stack in their hand either, and when they run out of ammo, they cancel their hunting job and go loiter around for a while.

Anyone know if there's a way to convince the guys to hunt with melee weapons?
QUIVER! THAT'S IT!!!

I'll assign it too my guys as soon as I can produce some.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2010, 03:57:01 pm »

Yeah... easiest way to get the initial skin for the quiver is probably to just have a few military dwarves murder something fuzzy; you can target random wildlife for killin'. Slaughtering a random animal, probably one of 'em that dragged the wagon there, works to.

Now that I think about it, it's probably more efficient to just have an off-duty squad do your hunting, honestly. More management involved, but much less fiddly (well, once you parse the basics of the military controls, heh), and the soldiers get some training in.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dewar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2010, 04:18:44 pm »

Hmm, is there any way to hit a switch that turns off immigrants? I don't know if the balance has changed or what, but I'm getting totally flooded here.

Khamero

• Bay Watcher
  • Bronzebeard - Master of arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2010, 04:19:22 pm »

Setting up military and hunting has really become a pain in the neck with the new version.
Lotsa other goodies though, which more than makes up for it...

Is there any way to mark immigrants for squads like you could in 40d? Its a hassle these days, especially since dwarves skills are so varied...

Also, do you have to set up a squad for hunters?
You might think that this is some sort of trap. That I’m using you as bait to lure in your friends. I’m not. I just enjoy torturing innocent, young girls.

I know it’s sick. But everyone needs a hobby.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2010, 04:41:15 pm »

Maybe toady is trying to force us to use forms of attack OTHER than massive fortifications, traps, and marksdwarves lining fortified kill zones...
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2010, 05:46:32 pm »

what does the leader skill do?

Nate McCloud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2010, 05:56:28 pm »

1. I remember reading something about being able to create custom workshops by editing the raw files. How do I do that?
2. I've noticed that Notes is now Points/Routes/Notes. I know that the Points are waypoints used in Routes, but what are Routes used for?

Does anyone know?

EDIT: Never mind, I read about routes and stations (waypoints) on the Wiki. I'd still like to know how to make custom workshops, though.
EDIT2: I found the file to edit to make custom workshops. Thanks anyway!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 06:05:50 pm by Nate McCloud »

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2010, 06:37:45 pm »

I seem to be misunderstanding part of the UI. I've formed a squad of two guys, gone into squads with the 's' key, and set them to active. Yet, no one trains. Am I missing some very obvious switch to set a squad as active?

For anyone who has the same issues as me, you have to set the squad to train at a Barracks Room

You also need to make sure the training isn't set to require ten dwarves as its minimum.

Lots of other bits on the wiki article: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Military/Guide

cakeonslaught

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2010, 06:40:48 pm »

My military dwarves keep reverting back to their civilian jobs periodically, is that a glitch?

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2010, 06:50:27 pm »

My military dwarves keep reverting back to their civilian jobs periodically, is that a glitch?

I've noticed my lone training dwarf occasionally reverts to his civilian job when he goes to eat or drink. Beyond that, my militia commander (Also my expedition leader) refuses to activate to train despite being in the same squad as the dwarf that is training. However, telling the squad to station at a particular point forces the dwarf to activate, but he immediately reverts back once the station is removed.

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2010, 06:54:56 pm »

I haven't seen this asked anywhere, it seems to be taken for granted that people know, and... I don't  :(

How do I make cast powder, and what from? Is there an alternative to gypsum?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 1178