Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 772 773 [774] 775 776 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1092197 times)

Watwar5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11595 on: May 17, 2011, 04:44:05 pm »

Is there a way to stop civilians from sleeping in my barracks?
This is like the crash course for all - if you can dodge a massive ball of plasma, you can dodge an arrow.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11596 on: May 17, 2011, 04:57:05 pm »

Is there a way to stop civilians from sleeping in my barracks?
Yes. Don't put beds in your barracks. Use an armor stand or a weapon rack instead.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11597 on: May 17, 2011, 05:01:43 pm »

How long do goblin sieges last if you, oh, say, screw up your defenses somehow and get your military slaughtered (for a totally random example, ahem) and decide to wait it out? Are we talking a month? Months? Years? Anyone have a ballpark figure?

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11598 on: May 17, 2011, 05:08:12 pm »

In my experoence several months to a year.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11599 on: May 17, 2011, 05:40:41 pm »

If I want to move from the current version of DF to the version (right when irrigation was needed for farming, forget what number it is) but keep my current save. Would that cause any problems?
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

jovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11600 on: May 17, 2011, 05:41:05 pm »

Pet's corpse has just been lying there for months and doesn't want to be dumped with the other corpses apparently. What now?
It's easy when you're big in Japan. Eastern sea so blue ...

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11601 on: May 17, 2011, 05:44:56 pm »

Pet's corpse has just been lying there for months and doesn't want to be dumped with the other corpses apparently. What now?
I think it has to do with the priority of jobs. That's pretty low on the list. I'm not sure how to fix it though.
I only play legends mode

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11602 on: May 17, 2011, 05:50:58 pm »

Chances are you need a graveyard or a burial receptacle (coffin/sarcophagus). Pets are buried.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

jovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11603 on: May 17, 2011, 06:04:22 pm »

I was really hoping there was a way around pet burial. Ah well.
It's easy when you're big in Japan. Eastern sea so blue ...

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11604 on: May 17, 2011, 06:39:30 pm »

If I want to move from the current version of DF to the version (right when irrigation was needed for farming, forget what number it is) but keep my current save. Would that cause any problems?
I only play legends mode

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11605 on: May 17, 2011, 06:47:39 pm »

Try It And See?  I don't think most of us have ever tried to move a fort backwards like that.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11606 on: May 17, 2011, 06:50:32 pm »

Another question. I channeld out a 3x7 rectangle to designate as a pond (never tried it before). But it won't let me designate it as a pond. WAT DO?
I only play legends mode

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11607 on: May 17, 2011, 07:21:19 pm »

Another question. I channeld out a 3x7 rectangle to designate as a pond (never tried it before). But it won't let me designate it as a pond. WAT DO?
Pond designation must be done in an open space, as described in the wiki.

Better use a bucket brigade if you don't want the water to evaporate. To do so, designate many pond zones, they can be 1x1 since water will spread beneath.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11608 on: May 17, 2011, 08:29:42 pm »

Do fish leave bones anymore? Should I get lobsters/turtles, for the shells? Or are processed fish like any other meat?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11609 on: May 17, 2011, 08:56:05 pm »

If you want shells, you must catch your own shell-bearing aquatic animals (mussels, turtles, etc.) and process them in a fishery.  There is absolutely no way to get shells from a caravan; they will not bring raw fish (only processed, shell-less).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 ... 772 773 [774] 775 776 ... 1178