Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 771 772 [773] 774 775 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1091727 times)

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11580 on: May 16, 2011, 11:52:10 am »

I've been trying to make my marksdwarves pick up some wooden bolts and drop all their steel ones (part of a training project I've got going on on caged enemies) but they refuse to get rid of their steel bolts in favour of wooden ones. So far I've assigned 500 wooden bolts to their squad, and only two stacks of 25 have been picked up.

I've definitely deleted the steel bolts from the ammunition assignment menu.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #11581 on: May 16, 2011, 01:21:18 pm »

I designated pathing throughout my fortress hoping for an increase in FPS :/

It dropped clear in half. I set a high traffic area around the main stairwell and to all of the workshops, put restricted areas around the stairwells that led to my stockrooms and any other large areas, and surrounded my workshops and rooms with low traffic areas. What am I doing wrong?

Ok, I replaced the restricted around the stairwell that led to my bedrooms with a high traffic area, and my FPS increased by 20 :/
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 01:23:27 pm by tolkafox »
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11582 on: May 16, 2011, 01:29:44 pm »

Any area frequently used that has low or restricted traffic designations probably will decrease your FPS.

To put it simply, your dwarves trying to pathfind will at first overlook restricted areas.
If it's not where they want to go, fine, they found their way faster, so more FPS.
If it IS where they want to go, they just searched about all of the fortress in hope a clear path existed, to no avail. Less FPS.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

t-lor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11583 on: May 17, 2011, 05:45:51 am »

He i was wondering

In my quest to find some workable metal n mij map, i've dug up almost 2  complete z-lvl's  to no avail :(
However i am now up to my ears in gold :)

So much i gave every dorf a golden chest and cabinet, made a gazillions barrels and bins, and replaced all mij chairs and tables in the grand hall,  im feeling a bit like king midas :)

however that barely dented the gold stash
So i decided to trade it away

But what is the best way to do that ?
A bar comes in at 300*,  buckets alreay at 1200, crafts come at a bit higher, statue's make a wopping 9000.

So im thinking statues are my best bet.  but then again,  statues are a lot bigger than crafts, so maybe im getting 3 crafts out of a bar and only one statue ?  And are there anythings better suited then statues ?

Now if only i could make armor or weapons out of gold :(

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11584 on: May 17, 2011, 05:51:15 am »

go for  the flasks, golden flasks.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11585 on: May 17, 2011, 07:05:39 am »

Buy out a few caravans with crafts, giving an obscene profit. They'll bring more animals and you can trade statues.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11586 on: May 17, 2011, 08:40:55 am »

Why waste gold on trading when you can sell them useless crap, like stained goblin loincloths?

I say melt any non-mastercraft gold furniture (except chests, those can't be melted, buggy, unless it was fixed since .18). There will be gold losses in the melting process, but since you have so much of it, that's good.

I did that with copper, training my 2 blacksmiths to legendary and getting mastercraft doors, hatches and cabinets for the whole fort.

Having trouble with the melting? Activate furnace operator job for all your haulers, there's no quality modifier to it anyway. With 3-4 magma furnaces, you're in business!
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

jiggyjam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11587 on: May 17, 2011, 10:58:00 am »

So, I'm on my first fort and I'm having lots of trouble with uniforms and getting dwarfs to pick up armor. When I try to assign a uniform profile of full metal armor to a dwarf, he only picks up a helm, a breastplate and a mail shirt and runs merrily into the danger room only to get skewered repeatedly in his unprotected bits. I've tried every combination I can think of including being specific about material, being vague about material, using partial matches and using "replace clothing". He simply refuses to pick up those gauntlets, chain leggings and boots. I've successfully equipped two dwarfs with full suits by assigning them specific pieces of armor but with my military and armor stockpiles growing, it's gonna be a hassle to manually assign them all individual pieces of equipment without overlapping anything.

What am I missing here?

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11588 on: May 17, 2011, 11:32:34 am »

So, I'm on my first fort and I'm having lots of trouble with uniforms and getting dwarfs to pick up armor. (...)
Create a uniform with armor type and material, using "replace clothing" and "exact match", it always works for me. You can add leather trousers, hood, cloak, stuff like that to replace the usual clothing. Make sure you have enough equipment for all your soldiers. Assign the uniform to the desired soldiers/squads.

And then, wait. They should end up running around gathering piece after piece of equipment. To check if you have enough availible stuff for everyone, check individual equipment using (m-e). There will be green checkmarks beside assigned pieces for each dwarf.

If you still have problems, like when you rearrange your soldiers in your squads, create an empty uniform with "replace clothing" and "exact match", assign to everyone, unpause and wait 5 sec, then reassign the real uniform. They will unequip everything and pick it all up again.

Note that:
Greaves do prevent the use of chain leggings.
Socks can prevent the use of boots.
Mittens can prevent the use of gauntlets.

Overstuffing someone with cloaks and hoods provide a tiny bit more protection while potentially attracting bugs. You can satisfy yourself with less.

Darion

• Bay Watcher
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11589 on: May 17, 2011, 01:57:59 pm »

Is the embark finding bugged? I put to search Flux, but it points to places where there isn't any flux...

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11590 on: May 17, 2011, 02:22:49 pm »

Is it possible to define a civilian dwarf to haul or transport a weapon that he would uses if switched to military? Or the military screen and uniforms is a mandatory passage?

jiggyjam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11591 on: May 17, 2011, 02:39:10 pm »

stuff

Tried all that, no dice. No matter how many times I rearrange or disband the squad, no matter who I assign to the new position, and no matter how I configure the uniform templates, only those three items are picked up while the rest are ignored. The only way I can get them to respond to the uniform assignment is by equipping them manually, unequipping everything and then assigning them the uniform which kinda defeats the purpose. There must be something I'm overlooking. They aren't forbidden or anything obvious like that. Is there some kind of quality restriction? All of these armor pieces are exceptional so maybe that's a factor?

This is so frustrating... I am just in awe of how horrifying the military interface is. It takes hours of reading the wiki and trial and error just to do simple shit like equip items. Does toady have any plans whatsoever to remake this? It makes the game unplayable to all but the most masochistic individuals. I'm pretty close to giving up or at least trying some older version of DF.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11592 on: May 17, 2011, 02:47:21 pm »

Do assigned war dogs that perished get buried in pet-coffins?
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11593 on: May 17, 2011, 03:48:23 pm »

Is the embark finding bugged? I put to search Flux, but it points to places where there isn't any flux...
The site detail thingy is the bugged part. It's not displaying flux even though it does exist.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11594 on: May 17, 2011, 03:56:11 pm »

stuff
Tried all that, no dice.
So you're saying on the equipment screen, every dwarf have a green checkmark beside every piece of equipment. And they are set to "replace clothing" and "exact match". With the schedule setting "Inactive = Uniformed". And in their inventory, they only have chainmail, breastplate and helmet, no clothes, no missing limbs. And you weren't too impatient to wait. And none of them have mining, woodcutting or hunting enabled, nor are they assigned to a burrow or an alert using a burrow.

Well then. Tough luck, short of trying your save myself, I can't help you.

Do assigned war dogs that perished get buried in pet-coffins?
No. They get a spot in your refuse stockpile and they can't be butchered.
Unless, of course, they were assigned to a dwarf as work dogs. Those have a name instead of "Stray war dog".
Edit : I re-read, you did mention they were assigned. I believe they will get a coffin then.

Pages: 1 ... 771 772 [773] 774 775 ... 1178