Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 773 774 [775] 776 777 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1092253 times)

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11610 on: May 17, 2011, 09:05:31 pm »

If you want shells, you must catch your own shell-bearing aquatic animals (mussels, turtles, etc.) and process them in a fishery.  There is absolutely no way to get shells from a caravan; they will not bring raw fish (only processed, shell-less).
And no bones either. Dammit. Might as well cook them, then.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #11611 on: May 17, 2011, 10:42:26 pm »

A lever of mine can apparently detect
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
some 65 z-levels below my fortress if I tell it to link to a spike. Does that mean that there's a... circus tent below my dwarves?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11612 on: May 18, 2011, 12:03:35 am »

A lever of mine can apparently detect
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
some 65 z-levels below my fortress if I tell it to link to a spike. Does that mean that there's a... circus tent below my dwarves?
Your circus tent is full of zombies.
...There's a euphemism in there somewhere.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11613 on: May 18, 2011, 01:07:58 am »

1. why would I used a rope to tie a wardog and not define an animal zone to pen it in a particular square?

2. I'm unable in the current version to find the old menu so that civilians get restricted to indoor, has it disappeared?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 01:26:50 am by vorpal+5 »

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11614 on: May 18, 2011, 02:04:32 am »

1. why would I used a rope to tie a wardog and not define an animal zone to pen it in a particular square?

Just because you can. No other reasons.

2. I'm unable in the current version to find the old menu so that civilians get restricted to indoor, has it disappeared?

It was removed and replaced with burrows and civilian alerts. Burrows give you more control to define where that "inside" is.
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11615 on: May 18, 2011, 02:55:28 am »

thanks, but then about (2) it means I have to define a super mega burrow that encompass all my interior ??? This is ugly if the new solution to restrict to indoor civilian dwarves. Tell me this is not the true!  :o

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11616 on: May 18, 2011, 03:28:22 am »

thanks, but then about (2) it means I have to define a super mega burrow that encompass all my interior ??? This is ugly if the new solution to restrict to indoor civilian dwarves. Tell me this is not the true!  :o

Unfortunately, yes.

But on the light side, as long as the burrows contains food and drink stockpiles, and living area, your civilians will survive there for the time that siege takes. Include storage and workshop areas and you notice no difference.

And you only have to define it once. If you expand later just edit to add those areas to that "inside" burrows.

And two tricks:

- Burrow area does not need to be constant, you can have gaps between same burrow area and dwarfs happily walk over those to get to burrow they are assigned (either personally or by alert).

- Any unmined area defined to be on burrow will be added automaticly when it is mined out.

It's not that bad once you have got hang on it.
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11617 on: May 18, 2011, 04:21:48 am »

mmmh ok... without other choice, will do that. Toady is a great game designer, but I really think he should take some interface courses. Sorry to say that.  :o

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11618 on: May 18, 2011, 05:27:55 am »

Burrow designate bugs me too, if only we could designate a 3d zone it'd be fine.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #11619 on: May 18, 2011, 05:49:26 am »

Burrow designate bugs me too, if only we could designate a 3d zone it'd be fine.
Want the burrow to extend up those 40 flights of stairs? Paint the burrow with the mouse and 3x3 brush (b).
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11620 on: May 18, 2011, 06:11:02 am »

One, I 'm pretty sure you can designate burrows in 3d.

Two, some animals leave their pastures from time to time and have to be drug back.  No idea what you can do to stop that.  So a chain can help prevent that.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11621 on: May 18, 2011, 07:31:31 am »

Yep, when defining burrows, you can start your burrow at the top left corner (for example) of your fortress on the first level, go down to your last level (hot keys FTW), go to the bottom right, and press enter, and you've got multiple levels burrowified in one shot.
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11622 on: May 18, 2011, 07:58:57 am »

Two, some animals leave their pastures from time to time and have to be drug back.  No idea what you can do to stop that.  So a chain can help prevent that.

Walls.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11623 on: May 18, 2011, 08:05:45 am »

Do assigned war dogs that perished get buried in pet-coffins?
No. They get a spot in your refuse stockpile and they can't be butchered.
Unless, of course, they were assigned to a dwarf as work dogs. Those have a name instead of "Stray war dog".
Edit : I re-read, you did mention they were assigned. I believe they will get a coffin then.
Hm, odd. I have a dead assigned war dog and an empty coffin set to accept pets but it's not getting buried. Odd.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11624 on: May 18, 2011, 08:10:09 am »

Assigned trained animals are considered as pets.

I've seen some pets end up in the refuse pile when the owner is dead.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.
Pages: 1 ... 773 774 [775] 776 777 ... 1178