Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 770 771 [772] 773 774 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1091647 times)

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11565 on: May 15, 2011, 08:19:44 pm »

What's the difference between "can't land squarely" and "can't quite connect"?
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11566 on: May 15, 2011, 08:58:21 pm »

A lead warhammer should be pretty effective, given it's weight, right?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11567 on: May 15, 2011, 09:32:11 pm »

Ayup, if you can get one.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11568 on: May 15, 2011, 09:48:42 pm »

Ayup, if you can get one.

Got one. Artifact.

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11569 on: May 15, 2011, 10:22:35 pm »

My horses which I had in cages just starved to death...I haven't played in a while, and I thought that things left in cages magically lived forever. has this been changed, and is there a way to feed these creatures?
And what about creatures, like dogs, on ropes? Will they starve too or am I free to tie them up as a means of fortress security?
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #11570 on: May 15, 2011, 10:26:54 pm »

You can tie up dogs, because they aren't grazers.
I don't know the answer to your cage question, but if something starved then being in a cage probably doesn't prevent hunger.

I don't play adventure mode often, but right now I'm wildly wandering back and forth atop a mountain as a dwarf looking for the entrance to this mountain home. How does one find this entrance? The compass in the top left says I'm right on top of it (it reads *** instead of any directions)
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11571 on: May 15, 2011, 10:29:59 pm »

My horses which I had in cages just starved to death...I haven't played in a while, and I thought that things left in cages magically lived forever. has this been changed, and is there a way to feed these creatures?
And what about creatures, like dogs, on ropes? Will they starve too or am I free to tie them up as a means of fortress security?
Herbivores now need to graze.
Set up a pasture zone, and assign your animals.
Dogs, cats, almost all foul, and other non-grazers don't need to eat.

Also, large grazers are pretty hard to feed. I suggest butchering anything larger than a sheep, or a horse.

I don't play adventure mode often, but right now I'm wildly wandering back and forth atop a mountain as a dwarf looking for the entrance to this mountain home. How does one find this entrance? The compass in the top left says I'm right on top of it (it reads *** instead of any directions)
Dwarven and elven cities (Mountainhomes and Forest Retreats) don't appear in current versions.

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11572 on: May 15, 2011, 10:32:54 pm »

You can tie up dogs, because they aren't grazers.
I don't know the answer to your cage question, but if something starved then being in a cage probably doesn't prevent hunger.

Herbivores now need to graze.
Set up a pasture zone, and assign your animals.
Dogs, cats, almost all foul, and other non-grazers don't need to eat.

Also, large grazers are pretty hard to feed. I suggest butchering anything larger than a sheep, or a horse.

Thanks a lot you guys. I didn't know about those changes. I should probably read the dev log, if there is one, which I forgot I could do.
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #11573 on: May 15, 2011, 10:37:43 pm »

Dwarven and elven cities (Mountainhomes and Forest Retreats) don't appear in current versions.
Wellp

That sucks for this adventurer then, because now I'm just gonna have to abandon him :P
Thanks for the heads-up though. I thought it was only forest retreats that weren't working.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11574 on: May 15, 2011, 10:54:51 pm »

Wellp

That sucks for this adventurer then, because now I'm just gonna have to abandon him :P
Thanks for the heads-up though. I thought it was only forest retreats that weren't working.

On the plus side, it isn't too hard to mod them to have human-style towns.

I'd like to mod mountainhomes and forest retreats back into the game for adventure mode. I seem to recall somebody having done this previously, at least to the extent that dwarves and elves had adventure mode sites identical to the humans. Any thoughts/suggestions/instructions?
Open entity_default.txt in your raws folder.

Under the dwarf entity ([ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]) find the lines that read:

Code: [Select]
[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:CAVE_DETAILED]
[LIKES_SITE:CAVE_DETAILED]

Change these to read:

[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:CITY]
[LIKES_SITE:CITY]

Do the same for the Elves ([ENTITY:FOREST]), change the lines that read:

[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:TREE_CITY]
[LIKES_SITE:TREE_CITY]

to read:

[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:CITY]
[LIKES_SITE:CITY]

This will cause Elves and Dwarves to have human-style towns instead of non-existent tree cities and mountainhomes.

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Siege Engines
« Reply #11575 on: May 16, 2011, 04:32:31 am »

Hi all,

I build a nice tower about five levels high, intending to equip it with siege engines at the top. I'm tired of having to wait out the goblin sieges because my military is so wimpy...

Anyway, when I read the DF wiki it said that siege engines can't fire between z levels. Is that correct? If so, is the top of my tower only good for crossbow dwarves? And are there z level limits for them to shoot?

It sounds like siege engines are hard to make use of if they only fire at the same z-level. How would you keep them from being overrun?

Thanks.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Siege Engines
« Reply #11576 on: May 16, 2011, 04:56:46 am »

It sounds like siege engines are hard to make use of if they only fire at the same z-level. How would you keep them from being overrun?

I build them in long, wide tunnels. They are fortified so noone can enter on their z-level. I build drawbridges on the end of tunnel, in place where enemies tend to congregate, but behind a moat anyway (this need some planning ahead). When opened, these bridges allow to fire through them and and at the same time they close access to utility tunnel one level below. When closed, they open access to that tunnel, stop training ammunition which falls one level down and is not destroyed. Utility tunnel allows collecting ammo even when bridges are in open state and thus the tunnel is closed from above.  Fortification is build some 15-20 tiles ahead of engines, I'd need to count.

When not under siege:
I have bridges closed and dwarves freely wander through area and side doors. I set catapults (build three tiles  in front of ballistas) to Fire at will. They train my operators to legendary status in time. Ballistas are set as Not in use.

When under siege:
I have bridges opened, and dwarves cannot pass, the same goes for any flying invaders (non flyers are stopped by moat anyway).  I set catapults to Not in use. I set ballistas to Prepare to fire. When enemies are in position, I carefully order dwarves to Fire at will, but after firing I immediately change to Prepare to Fire. That way the salvo goes in one time, and they won't hurt other operators, who like to wander in front of ballistas even if traffic is set to restricted.

How I make enemies to stand in one place? I have a tower of maximum height, which is connected to a passage to my fort. They gather around the entry, while their scouts and trolls try to make through traps (and fall on their heads).

Anyway, I think that siege engines are just for fun, because even legendary operators with masterwork ballistas and iron arrows usually only bruise goblins. My best shot was when one arrow killed two goblins and broken legs of another one. One suqd of goblins may mean dozens of arrows. When I use them I feel like a military superpower which uses rockets costing ten times more than tanks they are intended to destroy.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11577 on: May 16, 2011, 09:59:00 am »

What's the difference between "can't land squarely" and "can't quite connect"?
A strike landing squarely, if successful, transfers most of its energy to the target and so delivers more damage. So a strike that cannot land squarely will transfer much less energy to the target. A strike that can't quite connect is somewhere in between the can and can't land squarely.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11578 on: May 16, 2011, 10:48:37 am »

I'm thinking about setting up a lighter armoured Crossbow squad, can breatsplates be worn over leather armor? Or leather armor + mail shirts? :)
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11579 on: May 16, 2011, 11:17:41 am »

I'm thinking about setting up a lighter armoured Crossbow squad, can breatsplates be worn over leather armor? Or leather armor + mail shirts? :)
The wiki contains the information you seek.

A body part can only wear one shaped armor piece at a time. Both breastplates and leather armors are shaped and are thus incompatible. A mail shirt can be worn under either of those, so yes you can.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.
Pages: 1 ... 770 771 [772] 773 774 ... 1178