Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1090795 times)

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11550 on: May 15, 2011, 12:19:58 pm »

It's the troll's fortress now.

(try some cage-trap spam and keep a militia on standby)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11551 on: May 15, 2011, 12:34:02 pm »

What is the best possible way to defeat a troll?

Just don't respond to his posts.  He only wants attention.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11552 on: May 15, 2011, 12:49:10 pm »

troll is free running inside of my place, because he came from a underground cave.

OK, you have two problems, then.  The first is the troll.  The second is the hole leading to the cavern, which could let even more creatures in (some of them are much worse than trolls).

So, send your military to kill the troll, and send your masons to seal off the hole.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11553 on: May 15, 2011, 01:02:15 pm »

I just got a Fish Cleaner (or dissector) migrant who has a decent base for becoming militia; Mighty, very slow to tire but clumsy and remarkably flimsy.  Novice armor, fighter, biter, dodger.

But she likes Goblins. Would she become unhappy if she shanked Goblins?
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11554 on: May 15, 2011, 02:39:18 pm »

But she likes Goblins. Would she become unhappy if she shanked Goblins?
If there's one thing Ender's Game taught me, it's that to best fight your enemy, you have to know him, to understand him, how he thinks, what he feels...

I'd say she will only make a better soldier.

Also, chances are she will only get the good thought "She saw a wonderful creature recently" or something similar. I've never seen a bad thought about a favorite creature, only about one detested.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Music

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ la
    • View Profile
« Reply #11555 on: May 15, 2011, 03:31:55 pm »

Is gold meant to be good for anything? It didn't really work out for making weapons and everything else requires a lot of bars like making barrels so what should i do with it?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11556 on: May 15, 2011, 03:36:05 pm »

It's shiny and valuable.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Music

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ la
    • View Profile
« Reply #11557 on: May 15, 2011, 03:40:50 pm »

I like both those things. =3

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11558 on: May 15, 2011, 03:49:09 pm »

I use gold to make chains for my prison.  You might as well at least give the prisoners something shiny to appreciate while they're locked up.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Music

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ la
    • View Profile
« Reply #11559 on: May 15, 2011, 03:53:24 pm »

Why do i want my prisoners to be happy? They did ambush me after all and i think they go on a rampage if i let them out. Do they convert to my fort if i make them happy enough?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11560 on: May 15, 2011, 04:01:05 pm »

Prisoners in this case means victims of dwarven justice, not captives of wars.  The jail is where your dwarves go when they fail a mandate for slade warhammers or purring maggot leather or something.  Captured invaders go to the arena to train your soldiers.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11561 on: May 15, 2011, 04:01:42 pm »

Gold is useful for improving the value of something (when you have a good metalcrafter), training your furnace operators or making valuable crap for your snotty nobles to admire/ a caravan to buy.

Note that native gold has the same value as gold and is the most valuable stone ever, apart from maybe native platinum. If your best stonecrafter/mason is more skilled than your best metalcrafter/metalsmith, it is more profitable to put native gold as an economic stone and churn out native gold mugs/statues.

Music

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ la
    • View Profile
« Reply #11562 on: May 15, 2011, 04:04:38 pm »

Oh. So if i build a jail would that make my dwarfs more happy because they would have somewhere to put the criminals?

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11563 on: May 15, 2011, 04:15:40 pm »

Oh. So if i build a jail would that make my dwarfs more happy because they would have somewhere to put the criminals?
It would permit your captain of the guard (or sherriff) to imprison "criminals" instead of giving a beating that probably kills them.

It is recommanded to use chains instead of cages, it gives more freedom to the "criminal" and he can be more happy.

You don't want unhappy dwarves, unless you enjoy tantrums.

Also, gold gives value. Great to easily give Royal rooms to your nobles, easy legendary statue gardens and dining halls, dormitaries...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 04:17:26 pm by Marthnn »
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11564 on: May 15, 2011, 06:07:37 pm »

Why do i want my prisoners to be happy? They did ambush me after all and i think they go on a rampage if i let them out. Do they convert to my fort if i make them happy enough?

What Marthnn said. Also, you may want to read the wiki about stuff that affects the thoughts of dwarves as well as tantrum spirals.

Basically, if one or more of your dwarves become extremely unhappy, they can go insane and go on a rampage. They can injure or kill pets or other dwarves, destroy stuff, kill themselves, etc. And since dwarves live in a community and they usually interact with each other (socialize, make friends, get married, have children, etc.), when one dwarf or pet dies, it can affect many other dwarves. If not managed carefully, it can lead to a cascade effect or chain reaction in which most (if not all) dwarves go insane and start maiming, suiciding, and killing each other.

Although it sounds really bad, this type of situation can be called "fun" by diehard fans.

The goal for many of us is to keep dwarves happy enough that this does not happen. And there are various strategies and techniques to do this. Of course, when a dwarf does go on a rampage, it is probably best to either imprison the poor fellow or, if it comes to it, slay him before he injures or kills any further. Yet, it is often possible for the imprisoned dwarf to be rehabilitated and returned to society as a useful member. Since killing said insane dwarf may give major negative thoughts to his/her family and/or friends, imprisonment seems preferable as it might prevent a Tantrum Spiral.

Obviously, when a dwarf is imprisoned he/she gets a major negative thought about the situation. But when he/she is finally released, they get major happy thoughts. Thing is, if the happiness level of the newly released dwarf falls too low again, they might go on another rampage. The theory is that nice furniture and stuff in the jail cell should improve the happiness level.
Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 1178