Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 768 769 [770] 771 772 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1090765 times)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11535 on: May 15, 2011, 12:13:22 am »

I just had a mason mysteriously get fatally wounded. I found out about this after she canceled the floor tile she was working on, dragged herself to the hospital, and died, leaving her baby to play in the huge puddle of blood she left there.

The baby is six months old. Is there a way I can ensure her survival to childhood?
Still looking for advice on my motherless infant.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11536 on: May 15, 2011, 01:39:55 am »

I'm gonna experiment with world gens and the [LIKES_FIGHTING] and biomes to see how slavery works exactly. I would say we make a thread on this but it'll probably be short lived.

I seem to recall reading in the Civilization Forge thread about how civs in the mod tend to capture and enslave a lot of the races of other civs. It became so commonplace that there's a real tendency for entire civs to disappear during worldgen as all their citizens could be either killed or enslaved. (In particular, the Sand Raiders race developed a reputation for enslaving Frost Giants and other powerful races early in worldgen, making them a dangerous force to be feared.) Admittedly, they're playing a modified game. But perhaps Mephansteras could share insight into how slavery works?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11537 on: May 15, 2011, 03:25:11 am »

I just had a mason mysteriously get fatally wounded. I found out about this after she canceled the floor tile she was working on, dragged herself to the hospital, and died, leaving her baby to play in the huge puddle of blood she left there.

The baby is six months old. Is there a way I can ensure her survival to childhood?
Still looking for advice on my motherless infant.

I'm pretty sure that dwarven children sustain themselves from the air around them, requiring no effort on your part. Snatchers are your main threat. Consider attaching a dog or five to the area. Beyond that, the child should make it to adolescence quite fine.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11538 on: May 15, 2011, 04:57:15 am »

Will horses and donkeys breed mules?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #11539 on: May 15, 2011, 05:49:16 am »

Will horses and donkeys breed mules?
No. They are separate creatures in the raws. Of course one could mod a horse caste named "mule", but they would appear from just horse+horse breeding.

ps. If anyone is interested in minimal modding, they can grab my mastiff, bulldog, spaniel dogcreatures from the Genesis mod.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11540 on: May 15, 2011, 05:57:17 am »

Could one merge donkeys into a caste of horse and set it so that two horses make horses, two donkeys make donkeys and a horse and a donkey make a mule?

Different dog breeds sounds interesting but what are the ingame differences? I always thought that mastiff/lurcher/terrier would be a good way to divide them since they're more "class" of dog than breed, and then you could have a good wardog, good hunting dog and a vermin catching little dog.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11541 on: May 15, 2011, 08:14:10 am »

No. Castes are purely a percentage chance from normal breeding.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Burning_Iceman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11542 on: May 15, 2011, 08:56:06 am »

I just started playing again. Is it possible to see the top layers when chosing an embark location, not just "deep metal" etc.?

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11543 on: May 15, 2011, 08:59:26 am »

I just started playing again. Is it possible to see the top layers when chosing an embark location, not just "deep metal" etc.?
No, the specific layer names have been ousted for some reason or another.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11544 on: May 15, 2011, 09:02:40 am »

No, the specific layer names have been ousted for some reason or another.
It's to make discovery more fun (and, occasionally, !FUN!).  I prefer digging down, not knowing what to expect with each layer my dwarfs uncover.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #11545 on: May 15, 2011, 09:56:11 am »

Different dog breeds sounds interesting but what are the ingame differences? I always thought that mastiff/lurcher/terrier would be a good way to divide them since they're more "class" of dog than breed, and then you could have a good wardog, good hunting dog and a vermin catching little dog.
Well... differences include embark price, size, speed, biting, stealtherspotting and dodging skill. And bulldogs have poor Viewrange (lousier nose and eyes) and they die younger than regular dogs. Mastiff is heavier than a dwarf.

I also have a fantasy "faedog", double-speed elite thing, guaranteed to chase down fast sneaky kobolds! But they cost more than a mammoth (so rare), you'll be glad when migrants bring a zippy Faepuppy pet! Also, a "secret mutant caste" of faedog if you manage to breed them.

Do a "test embark": if hit nice sedimentary stuff (ie. coal and iron) then don't abandon in first season. Worst embark would be like "only galena & sphalerite".
I did six deepminerals/shallow test embark yesterday, and concluded that "shallow" means levels -3 to -61 and "deep" means -17 to -61. Not counting Ada.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 10:01:52 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11546 on: May 15, 2011, 10:35:32 am »

I feel like I'm asking a question in here every day...

This is another water question, if you guys aren't sick of newbies asking them already... I tried to make an awesome cistern - I polished the floors and everything (It's an OCD thing) and then plugged a hole in the river wall to fill it.

Before my dwarf could do more than make a diagonal hole - eliminating all pressure in a DQF event - water dribbled in and he panicked and fled.

However, I've read about people doing crazy stunts like draining the ocean... While I'm not there, I'd still like to be able to dam up a river at least. I found one tutorial on the Wiki but it's a little flickery - the guy jumps around a lot - and I don't understand a thing.

Could you guys suggest a suitable method for blocking flow long enough to build a proper dam - and then being able to remove the blockage? I was thinking of cave-ins, but I don't know how they work. (I know how to make them - but do they create a new mineable block or something else?)
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11547 on: May 15, 2011, 10:40:03 am »

Pumps and maybe walls (to redirectt he pump output away from the fort. 
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11548 on: May 15, 2011, 12:01:16 pm »

Yeah, use pumps unless you have a volcano or a river that freezes in winter. When you're knocking down a wall to let water (or especially magma) into an area, instead of (d)igging into the wall, you should consider c(h)annelling the wall away from the level above. Also, you could have built a floodgate in advance, linked it to a lever, deactivated it, and then sent your miner in to knock out the wall.

Aaaand, my question...

I bought a tame she-cougar from the elves but I can't seem to find it on the Z-stocks animals page (perhaps because I have no dungeonmaster?). How do I make it available for adoption? If it's not possible, my embark site has the occasional cougar wandering around outside ; if a nice tomcouger visits, will her kittens be adoptable?

Adonkares

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11549 on: May 15, 2011, 12:06:20 pm »

What is the best possible way to defeat a troll? I've found perfect site for my fortress and it's very early in the game, i have 14 dwarves and only one of them is competent axeman. Actually troll is free running inside of my place, because he came from a underground cave. Surprisingly he is not aggressive, he just makes all my dwarves cancel their jobs when they decide to work.
Pages: 1 ... 768 769 [770] 771 772 ... 1178