Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128912 times)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #375 on: December 01, 2011, 11:33:12 am »

I dunno, I got a little tired of Matrix and their software download delivery. I started with the original DW and if I want to get this game, I will have to DL the software from at least 2 different places, probably 3 by now. I wish they would just pu tthe damn downloads on their own website.

Maybe this expansion will be different, but the last one felt to me like a lot of bug and balance fixes. The original game was fun but clunky too, especially after a few hours of playing.

Has anyone tried it yet? The features listed are not enough for me to buy this and download the game again from all over the internet, not to mention the error I tend to get when installing the second expansion.
I got nothing

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #376 on: December 01, 2011, 11:54:47 am »

I'll be trying it tonight and will report.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 08, 2012, 11:47:33 am »

The game is fun and feel a lot more polished than the original distant worlds did. But it still gets really slow for me a while into the game. And zooming in and out doesn't really feel smooth either. The price tag on the game if you don't already have the previous expansion and base game is also quite high.

There's a few let's plays on youtube if you want to see more of it I guess.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 02, 2012, 02:11:32 pm »

Hmm, I'm debating (faintly) getting this, as I'm a fan of space-based 4x games generally.  Cut my teeth on SEIII, then IV and, ick, V, have SotS, SoaSE.  Anything space-based and vaguely strategy-or-rpg-feel, actually.  I'm still suffering withdrawal symptoms from EV Nova.  :(  X series, Freelancer and several others have done little to sate the craving.

Is it worth buying DW and the two expansions?  It's a fair whack of cash, but then if I can get more than around twenty hours of enjoyable playtime out of it then I can live with that.  :)  Lack of a demo doesn't help me judge that, however.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #379 on: April 02, 2012, 02:25:37 pm »

To be honest, I've gotten a fair bit more than 40 hours out of the game so far. I haven't played lately but that's more due to an overwhelming amount of stuff to play than lack of interest in DW. I love the game, can't wait to see what else they do in the genre.

creodor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 02, 2012, 02:37:15 pm »

I've played the game since not long after it came out, bought the expansions as they came out. Played quite a lot of hours, don't even know how many, but at least 30-40, probably more. With that, if I had to face the idea of buying all of that in one go, I would not do it.

The game is enjoyable, especially if you like space strategy type games. It ostensibly allows you to focus only on exactly what you want to deal with, though the AI control can be noticeably sub par to what any partially competent person can manage. When I get bored sometimes, I will build up a massive powerhouse empire and then just switch to full AI control and time how long it takes for it to be run into the ground. That said, as long as you keep a half eye on what the AI is doing and veto the dumb decisions, it is workable and can make the game more enjoyable.

AI shenanigans aside, it's a reasonably well made 4x RTS. The interface has a bit of clunky to it, but it's really not that bad; I've always been able to do everything I wanted to without wanting to stab the developers in their faces. I do find the ship design area a bit annoying in some respects (what upgrades you can use can feel arbitrary at times, since it's reliant upon the huge number of semi-rare resources you may not have), but that's largely because I don't pay much attention at all to what my colonies and constructors are harvesting. It does offer an export/import feature for ship designs, which I naturally forget to use every time. Research is nothing new, but it does have 3 'areas' you can research in simultaneously.

Diplomacy never struck me as very well developed. It's quite simple to play the AIs off of each other, and to act as a technology broker. Maybe I just never gave enough of a damn about it though, someone else may have a better impression.

At the end of the day though, it's fun, and the combat is great to watch. I would buy the first game and see how you like that. The expansions fixed some of the bugs and added a few features, but if you hate the first game the expansions won't salvage it for you. If you DO like the core game, then the expansions will be worth picking up once you've determined that.
Oh yeah. Zooming pisses me off, it's not smooth.
Free Game List

fish are drowning again ~Fourth Triad

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 02, 2012, 02:46:22 pm »

I would buy the first game and see how you like that. The expansions fixed some of the bugs and added a few features, but if you hate the first game the expansions won't salvage it for you. If you DO like the core game, then the expansions will be worth picking up once you've determined that.

This sounds like a good plan - I think I'll go with that...and thanks for the detailed reply, that's really helpful.  :)  I may well be able to work with the clunky interface (well, look at where we're having this discussion!  ;)), but testing it out on DW before dropping money on the expansions sounds like a wise idea.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #382 on: April 02, 2012, 08:32:13 pm »

you will probably like it given the list of games you posted. It is a good game, but something is kinda off about it. I guess I am a bit sour from having been through the entire ride from day one with a buggy release and also, did I mention I hate the way they sold me the game? I have to download the original from Digital River, the expansion from somewhere else...lame hat more of hating Matrix, not the game. Their support is awful too. I told myself I would never spend another dime on their website.
I got nothing

echonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 27, 2012, 07:05:15 pm »

I just picked this up plus both expansions.

Oh man... this is an impressive product.  There's not too many games out there with a scope of this magnitude.

I have barely even been able to play. Mainly just restarting a lot and watching how my empire is run when on full automation.  Just now about to try and start a game with a few things on manual, mainly ship missions and such.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #384 on: July 27, 2012, 07:25:30 pm »

I just picked this up plus both expansions.

Oh man... this is an impressive product.  There's not too many games out there with a scope of this magnitude.

I have barely even been able to play. Mainly just restarting a lot and watching how my empire is run when on full automation.  Just now about to try and start a game with a few things on manual, mainly ship missions and such.
It is a game which you can pick your level of interaction, which is pretty wild. I love the game. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 27, 2012, 08:37:31 pm »

How is the newest iteration, Legends or whats-it?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

echonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 27, 2012, 11:17:18 pm »

How is the newest iteration, Legends or whats-it?

Seems good to me, I never played it before though.

I seem to not have any silicon anywhere near me though it would seem.... I can't finish building any space ports on my new colonies because of it.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 27, 2012, 11:42:48 pm »

I'd love to buy this but are they going to lower the prices? I mean it's not a new title anymore...
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 28, 2012, 02:22:57 am »

Maybe if a third expansion comes out, but for now they have no real sympathy on the price.  It's still good, but I haven't been playing it as much as I thought I would.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 28, 2012, 02:41:52 am »

Bad pricing. They turned off a lot of potential buyers.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 65