Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128904 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #390 on: July 28, 2012, 12:37:20 pm »

Yep I just check and they want 80 bucks for the whole set, granted their patches do add more to the game but fuck that would be the most I ever spent on one game.

Eek-A-Mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 28, 2012, 04:23:54 pm »

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make the game more challenging?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 28, 2012, 04:35:39 pm »

turn off automation? :P

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #393 on: July 30, 2012, 06:48:52 am »

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make the game more challenging?
Make other empires more advanced? Turn space pirates and space monsters to max? I mean unless you're regularly beating the game on its hardest settings this is a silly question and since you provided no context I'll assume you're not.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 30, 2012, 12:41:30 pm »

Chaos + Hardest difficulty...  it takes much more effort to bring relations up to tech trade, even more for the unique techs.
Starting in size and tech.  Give other races higher size and tech at the beginning. 
Only play with enemy races which naturally hate your kind...
Play as the race with the weakest ground troops... 
Use some house rules... like enslave/exterminate all other races that are under your colonial control, no matter what... (no bombardment)
Feudalism/Military Dictatorship/Despotism/Corporate Nationalism
More automation of critical things like ship design and the likes.

There is modding...  I'm about to look into that myself...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 28, 2012, 03:51:40 pm »

It's too bad this game is poorly priced and lacks multiplayer. I picked it up a couple days ago and I cannot stop playing! There's something really relaxing about the pace, and it is so neat to see the process that leads up to galactic conflict.

Of course it'd be a cakewalk to curb stomp every empire I came across, AI limitations and what not. But if you don't try to conquer everything and let conflicts build as that one empire keeps building shit in your operational area, the escalation of the conflict becomes much more engrossing and those Lizard guys and their stupid Utopia feel like actual antagonist.

Thats how I like my strategy games, at least. This game allows for that on an awesome scale, and looks pretty good doing it.
Yeah yeah yeah!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #396 on: August 28, 2012, 04:03:27 pm »

Its far from a cakewalk on the higher difficulty levels.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 08, 2012, 12:17:37 pm »

Saw this game on a sci-fi game website. It looks rather awesome...but dang...to buy all the game AND the expansions costs a pretty penny.

Is it worth it just to get the game and not the expansions? I can't nearly afford all three or even both. Or are the expansions kind of required?
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 08, 2012, 12:38:01 pm »

The base game alone is great. It's very different from other space rts games so make sure that you do serious research before you make the leap. You can let the fairly competent AI manage as much or little of the game as you want.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 08, 2012, 01:57:12 pm »

it's an amazing game and each of the expansions add noticeable and signifigant changes to the game, though like Hemmingjay said the base game alone is also great.  However it may not necessarily be worth that much money so maybe look for lets plays or a demo or something first?  I happen to have all the parts to the game and I am fairly happy with it's price.
Nom nom nom

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #400 on: December 08, 2012, 02:32:46 pm »

I've tried it out, and it seems interesting (all expansions). I let pretty much everything on automation, and all I could do was decide where to expand to. That being said, I love games where the world evolves without you if you let it, and there's definitely quite a bit of that here. Perhaps I could try to turn down some automation... we'll see :)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 08, 2012, 03:12:54 pm »

Yeah been watching Let's Plays of it (a couple last night, some today) and it does look like my type of game. Depending on how much money/gift cards I get for Christmas...that is when I'll pick it up (maybe, there is a lot of games on my wishlist lol). It is good to know that you don't really need the expansions. When/if I do decide to pick up the game, I can always pick up the expansions later down the line.

I would probably leave a lot of the automation off, but I would have to see how the game works first (outside of Let's Plays. I tend to actually need to play to get the feel of a game and not just by watching videos). I kind of prefer doing things manually, than letting the computer do it. The computer does weird stuff sometimes lol.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 03:30:00 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 08, 2012, 04:16:05 pm »

yeah I turn almost all automation off.  I find with automation on the computer tends to overspend your cash and run you into the negitives for income...
Nom nom nom

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 08, 2012, 05:47:43 pm »

I wish the expansions were cheaper.  Seriously.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #404 on: December 08, 2012, 05:52:30 pm »

I wish the expansions were cheaper.  Seriously.
They're well worth it.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 65