Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 65

Author Topic: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)  (Read 128916 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Distant Worlds (4x RTS)
« Reply #405 on: December 08, 2012, 07:16:44 pm »

Yeah, it's still a shame they only use Matrix Games as their publisher. Matrix is very nice, but tends to cater and price to a very specific type of audience. Many people outside that audience would enjoy Distant Worlds, but it's still priced for the wargamers. If it was on Steam I'm sure it'd sell wa-haaaaay more.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 08, 2012, 08:07:45 pm »

Yep I just check and they want 80 bucks for the whole set, granted their patches do add more to the game but fuck that would be the most I ever spent on one game.
I also just noticed something funny, would 80$ for a game and two expansions really be the most you ever paid for a game?  Think about it, most games retail initiallly at 50-60$ and then each expansion runs 15-60$ depending on how much it adds.  I am sure there are people who play games that release 2-3 large expansions that end up spending 100$ plus on the series, you just don't notice cause it's spread out over 1-3 years.
Nom nom nom

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #407 on: December 08, 2012, 11:43:01 pm »

first expansion was pretty much fixing retarded UI. It stung to have to pay for it, but I did anyway.

I got nothing

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 08, 2012, 11:46:47 pm »

Didn't it also change the way research worked, added in research+ planets, a new race, a new (kinda) story line plot thing and also added a shit ton of repairs?
Nom nom nom

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 09, 2012, 12:14:16 am »

When the first expansion came it, it did fix alot of the problems with the base game; but then the devs got their act together and actually patched the base game for itself.  Its stable, and much more user friendly than it had been at release.

Honeslty though... if you want to play Distant Worlds, you need to get the expansions.  There's just so much more stuff added that makes it also.  Also, I'd suggest checkign their modding forum for the Graphics Mod which replaces a bunch of icons and stuff to make things easier to understand.  I use it religiously.  8)
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 09, 2012, 09:40:28 am »

Hmm, I just checked the site and it appears that the base game and the expansions are on sale until 14 January:
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/379/details/Distant.Worlds

Not sure what prices are coming up as in USD, but it appears I'm able to get Return of the Shakturi for £10.99 and Legends for £10.99.  Okay, that'll still bring the total I've paid up to around £40 ish, but it's better than it was!
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 09, 2012, 11:20:14 am »

It comes up to $58ish USD. A great deal for all of that gameplay imho!
Only a simple mind can be certain.

christonian

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Play Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 09, 2012, 11:34:38 am »

I loved this game 2yrs+ ago great to see it still around and kicking

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 09, 2012, 11:54:51 am »

Yeah it's still doing well. One thing I feel I should point out is I hate Matrix Games use of Plimus to handle downloads. This means that your download expires soon after your purchase and you have to contact them by email for a new link every time you want to reinstall. I resort to piracy for the game download and input my legitimate cd key, but it's all very unnecessary.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 09, 2012, 02:26:03 pm »

there is no package, just individual purchases. Do yourself a favor though and burn all the downloads onto a disc for future use.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #415 on: December 09, 2012, 02:43:25 pm »

I bought the base game before official release through Digital River. Long long story, short, I have to go 2 places and usually at least one support ticket to get this game reinstalled + expansions.

It IS a really cool game though, ambitious in its goals and it does a pretty good good of fulfilling them. If this is your cup of tea, I would say its a title not to miss. At ~$60 US for base game + expansions is a lot of game for your money.
I got nothing

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 10, 2012, 12:15:31 am »

Got this today, having my first war.
How to I stop half my fleets attacking enemy systems when my own need protection? I keep losing planets because they ignore defence.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 10, 2012, 02:55:52 am »

Yeah it's still doing well. One thing I feel I should point out is I hate Matrix Games use of Plimus to handle downloads. This means that your download expires soon after your purchase and you have to contact them by email for a new link every time you want to reinstall. I resort to piracy for the game download and input my legitimate cd key, but it's all very unnecessary.
Emailing them has worked pretty quickly each and everytime I did it, so plus to em on that at the very least.  No problems, even after +1 year and coming out of the blue.

Got this today, having my first war.
How to I stop half my fleets attacking enemy systems when my own need protection? I keep losing planets because they ignore defence.
You could try turning off fleet control and I believe there is a setting about attacking targets of opportunity...  shoot, its been too long for me to really remember.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #418 on: December 10, 2012, 03:45:15 am »

I had those things on "advisor suggestion" or whatever it was. I don't recall my fleets ever attacking without me explicitly saying they could.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 10, 2012, 05:22:32 am »

You can change fleet automation in the empire manager/automation thingy.

That being said, they still suck at defending. I hope the coming expansion helps with that. I'd like to be able to give "focus defending this area" -kind of generic commands. You can kind of do this by switching fleet homeworld - they intercept enemies closeby. However, this tends to screw other aspects of fleet automation. I'd like to concentrate on strategic aspects and not micro ships at all.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 65