Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 724 725 [726] 727 728 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2102279 times)

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #10875 on: February 24, 2016, 06:48:56 pm »

Well, this time I'm a rhino man. Why is it that every time I choose a big beefy race, I pick hammer as my weapon skill? :V

EDIT: Oh joy, I'm just hunting a dingo as my first task. And the local lord didn't think to mention that we're living in the sorta place where it rains goblin blood.

Because when your artifact platinum maul actually hits something its a satisfying feeling? I myself have always been into this sort of minotaurian barbarian thing, wielding mauls and greataxes and crushing your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentations of their women.. or men going by today's change of views (finally).

Also I have the utmost respect for steel and its secret/riddle thanks to the Conan movie with Arnie. And my Kobolth already knows the riddle of steel and knows its value, he has always been the oddest thing amongst the other Kobolds from birth as his eyes are glowing golden yellow and his skin is mahogany and he's naturally big, broad and incredibly muscular. He was the first kobold to understand foreign languages and even utter some of the words and once he grew up he started to find other kobolds stupid and rather single minded with their ways of life and ethics so he left to hone his skills in the wilds as he never felt sleepy or hungry or thirsty or tired or dizzy or even get sick and he would sometimes take small naps to dream after eating certain shrooms to relax, even the most poisonous ones didn't kill him. The kobold cave home he left from at least had kobolds who praised him and kept uttering how he's eventually gonna show all the big-folk what-for with his strong menacing stature and steal all of their valuables.

So, about 5 years later in this Age of Myth era who Drog Rohirstrir the Kobolth still wonders how this numbering thing began and so decided to go and introduce himself to a human lord who resides in the southernmost area of the world and showed his uncanny quick skills in battle with a halberd to him which impressed the lord greatly and asked him to be his hearthperson/bodyguard. Drog only accepted the offer to find the answers from the civilized folk and get to know them more and to get better idea of how this world works now as he's only known the wilds, taking on predators bigger than him and after those battles relax with the mushrooms by the campfire for over two centuries now.

Anyway, enough with the backstory: Onwards to the adventure and to prove the ingame NPCs that even the smallest of things can change the course of history!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:53:23 pm by Droggarth »
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10876 on: February 24, 2016, 06:54:48 pm »

Because when your artifact platinum maul actually hits something its a satisfying feeling?

Maybe. Or hell, even a moderate-quality silver maul. Especially with the Adventurecraft buff to mauls and other huge weapons.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10877 on: February 24, 2016, 07:03:24 pm »

Because when your artifact platinum maul actually hits something its a satisfying feeling?

Maybe. Or hell, even a moderate-quality silver maul. Especially with the Adventurecraft buff to mauls and other huge weapons.

There's a silver maul near the starting area in my world all for the taking, just not that sure about its effectiveness on my Kobolth.. plus the weight of a platinum one. Hmm.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10878 on: February 24, 2016, 07:07:28 pm »

All I know so far is that mauls are a lot better at pulping undead faces after a force buff. Or at least, more consistent about it. And I'm talking pre-.42.05 undead, which could no-sell getting hammered by a bronze colossus.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10879 on: February 24, 2016, 07:13:10 pm »

I decided to claim the hamlet, after removing the current ruler and dumping her corpse in the wilderness I went back and just sat around for awhile, it seems news of the former rulers death has spread, many of the inhabitants hate me now, but a few recruits and few others seem to be fine with me, I decided to make them my hearthpersons.

Before I killed the lady in charge of this hamlet I asked her about any troubles, she tells me of a nearby  cyclops that lives in a cave, I decided to go to a hillocks that was near the cave and recruit some drunks to use as a distraction to increase my chances of survival. After a short trip and a nap we reach the cave, immediately the drunks all rush towards the cyclops the cyclops quickly kills two of them and the other 3 run away leaving me to deal with the cyclops.

We fight for awhile and he is able to dodge my attacks for the most part, eventually I was able to damage his guts and make him sick, after a few good hits to the head I was able to knock him out and strangle him to death. The remaining drunks come back and I tell them about my accomplishment, they seemed to be quite happy about it, much better then the "It was inevitable." That I would of got a few versions ago. I then make them my hearthpersons and head back to the hamlet, I told the people living there about what I did, they were grateful but most of them still hated me for killing the old ruler. Many of them attempt to kill me on sight, its kind of amusing, I wonder if they'll ever get skilled enough to kill me. That would be interesting.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10880 on: February 24, 2016, 07:27:09 pm »

So, I killed a fucking dingo. What is Oxut Tegadacap's next mission?

"Uh, boss? A walkin' murder tree dat killed a hundred sixty-two people? Ya sure about dis?"
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10881 on: February 24, 2016, 07:30:49 pm »

After Catten's death, there was an undocumented journey over a glacier which was marked by multiple stops where they drank the same booze, where all of Bim's clothes became xtatteredx, and where great ice walls emerged causing the oddest detours. The arctic adventure was abandoned and they decided to travel back to Twinklelather, capital of the frozen north. None of them really knew what their goal had been. They did find a sea serpent frozen in the ice. This sea serpent was promptly butchered for 300 meat, 30 brain, and a very heavy skull. On the way back Cerol, who had become insane rushing off to kill very small crabs, but running in fear from gigantic ones, lost a hand to a polar bear. It was his cosmic debt for being a murderous bully. Upon their return to the series of hamlets south of Twinklelather, Cerol gave up the bow to learn about the spear and shield, as somehow this is more believable when done one-handed -_-

During their pause in Twinklelather, Bim made a solitary journey to hunt Sunwaxes the Saffron Winds, the third webbing titan. While non-web/non-fire titans are just better XP ettins (for better or worse), webbers (at least for any of my characters) are subject to arrow volleys rather than melee. The first webber was a one shot. The second took around 30 arrows. Sunwaxes, the third webber took close to 175 arrows to bring down as it was made of amber. There was the hope Bim could evolve into an elite bowdwarf here, but the RNG was merciful enough to strike down the boredom.

As always, archery is just a brute force shower. But there is a little set up, as outside, the targeted creature needs to be at the very edge of your field of vision:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There was also a trip back southwest to Catten's town, Glitteredmasters which is the * left of the evil mountain range (Twinklelather is the ☼ at the top center of this map):

This trip was to retrieve a bookcase left at the only tavern in Glitteredmasters. It had been found at a bandit camp the group stumbled upon along the way. The joys of playing boarder.

Here and later in a hilllock called Drinkglaze, our three would hold a multicultural recruitment drive for a grizzly bear woman (who knows how this will work for Cerol), a dwarf, and a human...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 10:09:04 am by peasant cretin »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10882 on: February 24, 2016, 07:42:40 pm »

Well. Crossing one river as the sun began to set, and I was surrounded by the stench of death. A good reason to have become a hammerrhino. So I spent the night in a hillocks along the way. I may not have to fear boogymen in this world, but this region holds enough haunts of its own.

Speaking of which, at the next river crossing to make, I see...a zombie raven! D'aaw. Can I keep it? o3o

EDIT: Several zedravens in fact. All of them trivial to flatten under the humble copper hammer. Just call me the headcrusher.

EDIT 2: And on the other side of the river, a muscular zombie turkey, among other gobblers of souls.

EDIT 3: I hate to tell you this you overgrown bonsai, but your check just bounced. *ba dum tish*

EDIT 4: I guess you can call me the woodchipper too. I wasn't expecting that.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 08:31:30 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10883 on: February 24, 2016, 08:43:10 pm »

I put off making contact with the goblin until after the full moon, and made myself a nice base at a camp next to the twin volcanoes. I didn't think it was necessary to kill the goblin living there, but my companions couldn't resist. I swear, I can't take these damn savages anywhere nice. I checked his history, and he wasn't even a bandit, he was just a runaway slave taking refuge where he could. I know we're not exactly heroes, but slaughtering him was unnecessarily fucking cold.

From here, we've got genuine savage lands for the really big game hunting, a cave down to the caverns, and of course the Vault to retread. Until then I had everyone compose a solo vocal piece, with lyrics that framed a moral within a riddle, so anyone who hates what I preach can at least take entertainment in how I preach it. It's really just for practice, corrupting the youth, and getting a look at everyone's writing style. Mine is so one-dimensional and boring; everything has a hint of viciousness due to high anger propensity. That's not even my highest trait! What about my politeness?! My bravery, my humor, both of those are greater than my anger, so why aren't they expressed in my writing? It's enough to make me throw my codexes at the wall!

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10884 on: February 24, 2016, 08:54:07 pm »

Murdered some llamas to get their bones and skins for some bone gear and trinkets. One llama that started to run away got the most cruel treatment for bolting away so fast (slashed all four legs off), in my Kobolth's eyes fleeing from a fight is inexcusable (loathes the way his inferior folk act in battle or lack-there-of).

So I then crafted and managed my inventory and dropped the stuff I didn't need near the throne room of the lord and.. uh turns out the lord is in fact a lady. *facepalm* My bad. Was too busy with my own character to get the weapons and the equipment crafted for my character and am now heading to nearby camp to get rid of skulking vermin going by the words of the lady Udir Snakeraces..... wait a minute. >:(

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10885 on: February 24, 2016, 08:55:07 pm »

So, why can't we get this level of control over our writing? ;A;

In any case, yeah. I'm commemorating the death of this treant with a treant wood figurine.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10886 on: February 24, 2016, 08:59:45 pm »

I went to the largest nearby city in hopes of spreading my chanting fame, but it was a massive lagfest, that took nearly 5 minutes just to do a single performance. Ended up resting in the local tavern, but was then interrupted mid-sleep by "feeling uneasy". I peek downstairs, and there's just a Troll Recruit chilling among the other tavern-goers. Wasn't bothering anybody until I tried to walk past him, wherin he suddenly lashed out and started going berserk at anybody near him, with the unfortunate sap being closest to him being me. Thankfully one of the soldiers in the Tavern decided to help a bit (as in fire a single Bolt at it), and I was able to cripple its legs and go for the throat despite an amateur skill in Knives. This troll was apparently not part of any bandit or enemy civ, cause the onlookers only referred to me as a killer.

I try to make my way out of town, but I get attacked by another Troll Recruit before I can (T)ravel two spaces away from the Tavern. This one goes down same as the first, and I try to swerve my way around a couple other * lurking the map. Return to my hometown, and it seems that word of me is starting to get around. Slowly... I shall gain their trust. Eventually they won't even notice when the Knife is on their throat.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10887 on: February 24, 2016, 09:17:41 pm »

In my current adventure, I raided a vault to find the slab hidden inside. I originally intended to strike the killing blow against the demon with the slab, but I accidentally 1-hit it with my pike. Instead I climbed down the spire to toss the slab out into the glowing pits. Unfortunately, someone decided to close the door behind me and now I'm stuck down here forever! (There is no way to get out, there is no exit the way I came, I tried retiring under a near-by village and I tried travelling to other dark towers hoping for a spire). Is there anyway to get out?
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10888 on: February 24, 2016, 09:45:12 pm »

Scrapped a bronze toy boat that was among the loot scattered on the ground the treant had claimed, and make a *bronze maul* to replace my copper war hammer. It served well against an undead deer and moose while returning to town, and now I'm sent to hunt down a giantess. Oh, I go from a megabeast that kill 162 to a semi-megabeast that killed...3. Are you drunk, milord?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10889 on: February 24, 2016, 10:19:42 pm »

In my current adventure, I raided a vault to find the slab hidden inside. I originally intended to strike the killing blow against the demon with the slab, but I accidentally 1-hit it with my pike. Instead I climbed down the spire to toss the slab out into the glowing pits. Unfortunately, someone decided to close the door behind me and now I'm stuck down here forever! (There is no way to get out, there is no exit the way I came, I tried retiring under a near-by village and I tried travelling to other dark towers hoping for a spire). Is there anyway to get out?
I thought that was one of the bugs that was fixed:
Fixed problem causing some surface-underground sites to become disconnected
but I guess that doesn't apply to underworld connections. No, you're fucked for reasons that have never been adequately explained. Like why does it gen fucked up in the first place and why does it need a second shot at fuckup by regenning the first time the site offloads? If you slept down there when the site offloads and reconstructs, then the margin for fuckery gapes inescapably open beneath your feet and closes over your nostrils.
Pages: 1 ... 724 725 [726] 727 728 ... 1104