Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2100336 times)

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #285 on: July 13, 2010, 04:35:55 pm »

I'm currently going investigating a Goblin fortress. I found a tower and entered by jumping off a cliff to get around the fortifications. I didn't have to, but I did. Explored it top to bottom, only found one goblin. Other than that, nothing. Killed the goblin. Noticed that he looked like this: "  ,at a distance. Guess that's what you see when you notice a sneaking enemy with the observer skill.

Now exploring another tower in the area.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 04:38:58 pm by Diablous »
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 13, 2010, 05:02:08 pm »

"

I'm pretty sure that's their [GLOWTILE], although I have no idea what that is. I guess it's kind of an overlay/mask.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 13, 2010, 05:03:44 pm »

"

I'm pretty sure that's their [GLOWTILE], although I have no idea what that is. I guess it's kind of an overlay/mask.

Hmm. I saw that, and when I looked at it, the game wouldn't tell me what it was. When I got closer, it turned into a goblin.
To be partly feline,

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 13, 2010, 05:06:44 pm »

I've only noticed that recently.  I assumed it was a glowing pair of eyes.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 13, 2010, 06:14:22 pm »

wasn't that in 40d where goblins and koblods if move far from eye distance their eyes glow.
pretty much giving their position away.

I found out in arena that
bronze colossus + rock backpack + !!indestructible fuel!! + large body of water = mini moses
this could make building underwater easier.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 06:39:14 pm by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 13, 2010, 06:44:18 pm »

Way before that, it's been around since 2D at least.  Goblins and kobolds have a red and yellow glowing 'eyes in the dark' tile when you have line of sight to them but your vision range is reduced from darkness.

There is even a report of somebody finding a goblin with only one good eye showing up as a single apostrophe.  But I'm kinda skeptical about that.  It's possible to mod a creature to have something other than " as a glowtile and it makes me wonder how the game figures out what the symbol should be for a more unusual missing eyes glowtile.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #291 on: July 13, 2010, 07:10:55 pm »

There is even a report of somebody finding a goblin with only one good eye showing up as a single apostrophe.  But I'm kinda skeptical about that.  It's possible to mod a creature to have something other than " as a glowtile and it makes me wonder how the game figures out what the symbol should be for a more unusual missing eyes glowtile.

It's a fixed behavior if your glow tile is a quote symbol.  It looks for missing sight parts with the left/right symmetry tags.  I'm not sure how much it'll work in practice now, if eyes mostly go red instead of black.  It should probably be based on function now.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 14, 2010, 01:44:18 pm »

Wow, I didn't even consider the possibility of it being hard coded behavior with the quote symbol.  I guess I shouldn't be so surprised since the quote is all that is ever used in vanilla.

Thanks for the info Toady!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 14, 2010, 01:45:32 pm »

Interesting. Thanks for the info.
To be partly feline,

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 14, 2010, 04:58:29 pm »

I am currently massacring an elven village.
My adventurer is now known as Dodók Boatface the Glittery Savior.
It sounds a bit feminine for a male dwarf axe lord :(
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 15, 2010, 02:58:06 am »

That's because the elves gave it to you. Your name is also boatface.

oh well, mine is a PLAY NOW Tigerwoman named Anuseater, I was excited about the update and ignored everything while running through it :P. I took out the restrictions/preferences for names in their entity definition (and for the cobalds, or human-level intelligence, dwarf-sized kobolds who reject the traditions of their ancestors), and made them significantly more evil (goblin-level, stealing babies, stealing items, mass murder of anyone but civ members) So they often come up with strange, unattractive names, like Pissabbey, and now butt-muncher, the mighty warrior. Using DFLang I made language files for both them and the cobalds, the tigermens' coming from a mix of the Old English and the 4 vanilla language files that came with it, and the cobalds from names and parts of them that I collected into a file and ran through it.

Currently, she's hanging out in a Tigerman town after butchering a human town into ruins. Population at beginning: 5 little kids. What?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 15, 2010, 03:13:20 am »

I haven't played adventure mode recently, but after reading this thread I think I'll start again. In my most recent adventure (several months ago) picked up a single companion from a town, an unskilled human. As I crossed the frozen tundra to get to the next civilization I was ambushed. Though it was still day, I could not see four tiles in front of me for the terrible blizzard that engulfed my adventurer. There was no sign of my partner, nor the ambushing creature. I took a step up the embankment nearby and walked a half-dozen hesitant paces forward, looking for any sign of life. Seeing nothing, I returned to my starting position for fear of getting lost.
I stepped down the snowbank. There I saw my companion, where I had been standing not a moment before. He lay dead in a pool of frozen blood. Blinded by the snow I had not seen his attacker. Deafened by the wind I hadn't even heard him scream. I ran. I ran fast and far, leaving my companion's body to the ice and snow, or to whatever creature had done this. To this day I know not what caused his end.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 15, 2010, 03:49:59 am »

That is pretty terrifying... Would make an excellent plot twist in one of those many epic tales that DF players are so good at conjuring up.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 15, 2010, 09:26:02 am »

Because the elves gave my adventurer the name the Glittery Savior, I shall now save their glittery skulls. I am currently collecting as many elven heads as I can, with my merry band of a macedwarf, a hammerdwarf, an axedwarf and a marksdwarf. My next target will be the goblins I think.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 15, 2010, 09:27:04 am »

Make sure to take an axe with you. Swords aren't as good for severing unless you first strip your target of all armor and clothing.

Or maybe that's just me.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 1104