Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What level of fantasy elements should the game include?

None at all. Just humans doing human stuff.
Some fantastical creatures, but just humans.
Fantastical creatures, wizards, the whole nine yards.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: TRIBES 2 - A Whole New World - YEAR EIGHT RESULTS UP  (Read 11662 times)

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TRIBES 2 - A Whole New World
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2010, 12:24:54 pm »

Additional rule: after the first year, 1/10th of your children will become adults every year (i.e. 30 children = 3 new adults, 20 children = 2 new adults). This will round down (29 children = 2 adults).

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2010, 05:15:19 pm »

okay, get it real. Half of the adults fish, one third with the young farms, the remaining one sixth explores for perhaps a couple of months along the coast before gathering material like lumber and stone. The elderly... they should worship the king.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2010, 05:34:34 pm »

Additional rule: after the first year, 1/10th of your children will become adults every year (i.e. 30 children = 3 new adults, 20 children = 2 new adults). This will round down (29 children = 2 adults).

err, issue here... does this mean if you only have 9 children or less, you will never get any new adults? No idea how easily kids will come about, but it makes one wonder.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2010, 08:53:12 pm »

A minimum of one new adult would be spiffy.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2010, 10:20:22 pm »

With good harvests, you should be getting several new children per year, as a general rule (assuming a decent roll for food/harvesting/hunting). I see what you're saying however, so if you have less than 10 children, one shall transform into an adult per year, unless you have no children (which I think obviously produces no adults). I need to do some thinking as to how the adults to elders shall work.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2010, 12:55:28 am »

The Peoples of Taer Nymandis
The Taer Nymandians usually band together in close knit family groups consisting of at least 100, known as tribes. groups of tribes have been known to form together to make clans, large and powerful entities that have all been but forgotten.

As a race, the Taer Nymandians resemble your garden variety human, albeit of the Caucasian variety.

Habitat
This particular tribe of Taer Nymandians have settled in a large clearing of a pine forest near the slopes of a large mountain. their scouts have reported that the land is full of herds of deer, caribou, as well as cougars, bears and wolves. huge crags of limestone and granite poke out of the ground, and the river Rauvyn is a few minutes away from the clearing, enabling a steady supply of water and fish for the Taer Nymandians.
Culture
The Taer Nymandians extol prowess in combat as well as practical work, making them a race of warriors and craftsmen. They excel at making weapons and armor, and are even better at using them.

The Taer Nymandian lifestyle is a mostly spartan one; they own few personal possesions, and all children are taught to wrestle and fight with a sword. Adults spend most of their lives working or fighting or hunting, while the elders would sit around the hearth, telling tales of old, keeping the Nymandian traditions alive.

Motivations
The particular tribe that I will represent wants to create a clan and establish themselves as a world power.

Goals:

1)collect wood
2)collect food
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2010, 09:17:46 am »

Just need 100Killer9 to post tribe and actions, and actions from Haika, and I'll be able to post year one results.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2010, 02:05:35 pm »

Err, are actions different from goals? Because that's kinda what I want them to do.

Year 1 Na'ilah goals:

1. Domesticate some sort of large desert mammal, like Camels for meat, milk(therefore cheese and butter), hide, bones, fat(candles and the like), transportation, and even pets to an extent. [first part of this should be a steady source of food however]
2. Build some sort of shelter, possibly adobe or clay homes.
3. Submit an offering to the sun goddess, in the hopes that this year's summer is mild.

Or do I need more specific stuff? and in that case, I suppose I'll need exactly how many men, women, children, and elders I'm starting off with.
To begin with, each player will create a tribe (consisting of 100 men, 100 women, 75 children and 25 elders).

Ok so I have the specifics if you need exacts, but I don't see others writing out specific actions. Also, any progress on the map? I can offer to make one up if you want a hexagon style like my Masters of Magic game
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 02:07:30 pm by Haika »
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2010, 02:47:51 pm »

Haika - Sorry, I must've missed your goals. My bad. Those are good, don't need to be more specific.

The map is sort of nebulus now, as we don't have a writeup from 100Killer9 about his location. But, generally, there is a large sea to the east, a central desert, mountains in the west, jungles in southwest, and forests along the river. I'll try drawing something basic up as soon as I can.

I'd like to get this going, so if I don't get a post from 100Killer9 by tommorow (Saturday) evening, I'm going to just bump up tombthedwarf into that spot. So, hopefully, first turn can be posted at the latest by Sunday.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2010, 03:55:59 pm »

Can I just copy my tribe from the other game?
If so, then actions are:
1. Domesticate animal of some sort
2: find food
3: look into cause of trees falling
4: make stone crafts
EDIT:
The Ko'ormols are a race of people who inhabit grasslands next to dedicious forests. They can inhabit temprate or tropical, but prefer temperate climates.
They are medium-sized, with longer limbs that would look gangly on a human. They usually aren't hulks, but can build up respectable muscle tone. They are grayish in complexion, with a small percentage of the population being partially or fully albino, with pale skin or red eyes. Reddish eyes (as opposed to normal brown) are seen as more attractive, while darker skin is preferred. They have largish eyes, and smallish mouths, and communicate emotion primarily through the eyes rather than the mouth.
The Ko'ormols do not worship the trees, rather, they consider the trees to simply be a part of the nature one of their gods has created, but more on that later. They thus have no regrets using trees for things such as sap, which they love to eat. They gather plants from the forests, with large knowledge of plants. They also hunt, usually using fashioned sticks with stone tips as spears.
They take shelter in the forests, however they dig dugout-caves for shelter if that's not enough. They sometimes weave together sticks to serve as doors or to make aboveground structures, which they much prefer over a dugout if they can get it.
They know the need to work together to survive, and live in groups of 25-40 adults, with varying numbers of children. These are known as clans, and each clan has the oldest competent elder attend meetings in a standard council of elders that controls the whole tribe. If a clan gets too crowded, often a clan will willingly split into two clans to get enough food. If someone goes against the tribe, excommunication is common, though usually multiple people who have been exiled will be sent out at the same time, since the point is not to kill the rule breaker but just kick him out. Each clan is in turn made up of several families, who will usually decide upon who gets to represent the clan in the council (often by arguing who is the most competent elder). It also contains guilds, which are just the different groups of people with the same job (plant-gatherers, hunters, etc.).
The religion of the Ko'ormols is fairly complex. There are several gods, each sprouting from a different seed from the tree of origin. The acorn's god, Trai'us, is the most important. He represents shelter, guidance, and abundance, and created the plane of dedicious forest. The god that sprouted from a grass seed, Kaizuml, is also important, representing fertility, sunlight, and endlessness. She created the grassland plain. The god from the pinecone, Khatlama, is not a good god, representing punishment, coldness, and death. He is the one who created the plane of taigas, which was based upon a time from when the race resided near taigas. Finally, Traa'tia is the god that rose from a raspberry. She is the god of water, and earth, and created the swamps. The world was these four planes until they shattered, causing the gods to try to piece them into something close to what they originally were, and as the pieces collided mountains were formed. The universe is a flat expanse of near-infinite shattered pieced-together planes. The Ko'ormole were created by Trai'us and Kaizuml when they combined a tree with sunlight, making its branches into limbs and its leaves into a head. After death, dead are buried, to plant a new existance for the deceased outside of the plain, where the gods live.
The Ko'ormols are not skilled metalcrafters, but are decent stonecrafters and excellent weavers. When they find a log, they use it to practice woodcarving, so are decent at that, but what they are really interested in is where the logs are coming from. How are they appearing? The Ko'ormols have figured out how to use fire, but don't know to cook their food, and are fine with the taste of raw meat.
The Ko'ormols see women as similar to men. They prefer men hunt rather than women, as women are needed for reproduction, but if a woman wants she can hunt.
Children are seen as children until age 9, when they are prepared for adulthood at age 11. This is an important ceremony among Ko'ormols, and the clan often celebrates on such an occasion.
Their understanding of seeds producing plants is important, but they don't realize the potential. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 07:37:17 pm by 100killer9 »
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2010, 04:20:38 pm »

Feel free to use your old tribe, if you'd like. Just post it in this thread for me and the other players. I'll have year one results up later tonight.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2010, 06:27:57 pm »

YEAR ONE RESULTS BELOW

**Note: as stated in original post, going forward Friday will be the day of posting. If you don't post by next Friday, bad things will happen to your tribe. Miss two weeks in a row, and you're gone.**

**Note2: However, if all players post before next Friday, I will try and get up another turn sooner. The next "post-by" date will become a week after I post the turn (e.g. if you all get goals for year two up by Sunday and I post new results on Tuesday, then the next definite date of posting is the following Tuesday).**

**Note 3: Under each tribe is four numbers in parenthesis. The first is men, second is women, third is children, fourth is elders. Children will begin turning into adults next turn/year.**

Spoiler: Tribe: Na'ilah (Haika) (click to show/hide)

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TRIBES 2 - A Whole New World - YEAR ONE RESULTS UP
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2010, 07:02:41 pm »

My excellently awful map is also posted on the original post, for your nefarious use.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2010, 07:40:50 pm »

Hold on...
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2010, 08:51:45 pm »

1) attempt to capture any caribou and domesticate
2) use whatever wood we have to make spears
3) gather food, preferably tubers.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12